We just lost power, how do I keep Rico warm?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
So yeah, we just lost power, the data towers seem okay so far but that could change. It is like 30Ā°F outside and on the off chance that this outage lasts a while, I wanna know what to do. I know put a blanket on the cage when the temps begin to drop but what else should I do?

Bird pic for birb tax

Attachments

• 8930E8DC-3946-478D-B6FF-C457C793A26D.jpeg
    8930E8DC-3946-478D-B6FF-C457C793A26D.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 28

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So yeah, we just lost power, the data towers seem okay so far but that could change. It is like 30Ā°F outside and on the off chance that this outage lasts a while, I wanna know what to do. I know put a blanket on the cage when the temps begin to drop but what else should I do?

Bird pic for birb tax
You could hold him close to your body, though, as long as it doesnā€™t get below 65Ā° I think itā€™ll be fine.
Will he cuddle with a towel or anything? Also you could wrap a hand warmer up and set it somewhere close to him but not touching him.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Do you have hot water still or the ability to make hot water? I have natural gas for my water heater and stove so I've done hot water bottles around the outside of cages.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think Rico will be okay, our power has been out here for a couple of days at a time and although it felt chilly to me, the birds were fine. The bird rooms downstairs have screen doors on them and we covered that with blankets. We also rolled up blankets and piled them in from of the front and back doors to keep the drafts out.
Last year when it happened it was -32c (-25.6f) here.

I hope your power is on again soon:(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, it is only going to happen ever more often!
You have gotten, excellent advice, above!!

Yes, I am coming to this late, but below are things to write down and or verify!

If you have the luxury of a gas stove /oven. Time to start cooking as nothing drives /keeps heat in than good old fashion cooking.

Modern hot-water heaters require electricity to operate the fan!! Check your's prior to drawing hot water as if you have a modern hot-water heating, and you draw out hot water, it will be pulling in cold water that will cool that room.

Move the family to a room center in the house and close all doors to restrict the movement of air within your home.

Place a note to review adding supplemental electric generation to your home! Remember my opening sentence: "And, it is only going to happen ever more often."

Report to the electric utility that you are without power. You should receive at that time an estimated worst case on the return of power.

Last edited:

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)

Bird pic for birb tax
I don't have the problem of loosing power as a normal thing but at the beginning of winter the power company said my power was getting turned off for a day for repairs and it got me thinking of the possibilities....
I bought a heat hog brand portable propane heater at home depot with the hose needed to attach to 20 pounds tanks and 2 - 20 pound tanks of gas on standby for emergencies... no wories now

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I don't have the problem of loosing power as a normal thing but at the beginning of winter the power company said my power was getting turned off for a day for repairs and it got me thinking of the possibilities....
I bought a heat hog brand portable propane heater at home depot with the hose needed to attach to 20 pounds tanks and 2 - 20 pound tanks of gas on standby for emergencies... no wories now
Be very careful using propane heaters indoors. I work at Lowe's here in Maine and the surrounding areas lost power for as long as ten days around the Christmas/New Years holidays. Many customers came in looking for portable propane space heaters but most of them are not recommended for indoor use. They are used most often in garages, workshops, ice fishing huts and construction sites. Even if the manufacturer claims they are safe indoors would not recommend using one indoors if you have pet birds because their lungs and air sacs are so much more sensitive than our lungs.
I just looked at Heat Hog's website and according to them, their portable propane heaters are NOT considered safe for indoor use in the US or Canada.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
Be very careful using propane heaters indoors. I work at Lowe's here in Maine and the surrounding areas lost power for as long as ten days around the Christmas/New Years holidays. Many customers came in looking for portable propane space heaters but most of them are not recommended for indoor use. They are used most often in garages, workshops, ice fishing huts and construction sites. Even if the manufacturer claims they are safe indoors would not recommend using one indoors if you have pet birds because their lungs and air sacs are so much more sensitive than our lungs.
I just looked at Heat Hog's website and according to them, their portable propane heaters are NOT considered safe for indoor use in the US or Canada.
Meant as an emergency backup....drastic times -drastic measures ...

Not going to use all the time and as I said ... power outage isn't a common occurrence

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Assure that you connect the Heat Hog up and run it (outside) for 30 to 60 minutes to rid it of any manufacturing coatings. While you are operating it, check from time to time that all the burner surface is an orange/red color. At first, you may see a slight yellow flame across the burner surface that should go away after a few minutes. If it does not, or not all of the surface is orange/red, return it. The condition is rare, but can happen!

After it is fully cooled place it in a ZipLock 'like' large bag to keep dust from building-up on the burner surface. There is no question that it will provide heat, but assure that it is a safe distances from near anything as not only do they hear the air they also heat things that are in the direction of the heating surface.

FYI: Assure your Carbon Monoxide Alarm(s) are working as that type of supplemental heating system can lead to the develop of enough to be dangerous. Read the directions with detail!!

Birdmom2a2

Nov 9, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon
I live in Denver and the power goes out often during the winter. I was afraid of keeping my LCA warm so I did some research. I read about making a heater with a candle and bricks. I tried it and it worked. Use a fat candle and put it on a brick. Then, build a "structure" around it with a few bricks - leaving space for air. I tried it when the power went out. I put put KIwi in her portable cage and put it in a large closet and it was quite toasty warm. I keep the bricks and candle in the corner of the closet for emergencies. (I kept the closet door cracked open for ventilation).

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Meant as an emergency backup....drastic times -drastic measures ...

Not going to use all the time and as I said ... power outage isn't a common occurrence
Up here in Maine, and probably every place that has harsh winters most people have portable generators. A 3500 watt portable generator can be purchased for about $500 and it's only enough to keep some lights on, the house warm and refrigerators and freezers running but it will pay for itself by saving all your perishable food during a 4 day plus outage. And your birdies will stay nice and warm! The wealthiest have automatic backup generators but at well over $10,000 most people can't afford them.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Up here in Maine, and probably every place that has harsh winters most people have portable generators. A 3500 watt portable generator can be purchased for about $500 and it's only enough to keep some lights on, the house warm and refrigerators and freezers running but it will pay for itself by saving all your perishable food during a 4 day plus outage. And your birdies will stay nice and warm! The wealthiest have automatic backup generators but at well over $10,000 most people can't afford them.
No question regarding the auto-back-up Generator systems that can top-out near $25,000 big ones for the top of the line auto-systems.

But, there are advantages of upgrading a standard generator by increasing its size to 5500 or 8500 watt units that have a 240V plug available. It is all based on your power panel primary disconnect breaker switch. What helps make it clearer is that main breaker, if it is a 200 amp, you should look at a larger generator then 3500 watt unit. Also, remember that more and more homes that are on wells are using 240V well breakers and you will need that 5500 minimum size generator to support your well. To be honest, one would need an electrical contractor to make the changes within your primary power panel, the 240V outlet and the cable between it and your generator.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
No question regarding the auto-back-up Generator systems that can top-out near $25,000 big ones for the top of the line auto-systems.

But, there are advantages of upgrading a standard generator by increasing its size to 5500 or 8500 watt units that have a 240V plug available. It is all based on your power panel primary disconnect breaker switch. What helps make it clearer is that main breaker, if it is a 200 amp, you should look at a larger generator then 3500 watt unit. Also, remember that more and more homes that are on wells are using 240V well breakers and you will need that 5500 minimum size generator to support your well. To be honest, one would need an electrical contractor to make the changes within your primary power panel, the 240V outlet and the cable between it and your generator.
We have a new 8500 watt duel fuel (liquid propane or gasoline) portable electric start Westinghouse unit that powers our entire small house. It cost about $1200. Worth every penny. I only mentioned the 3500 watt as a more affordable option.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It's funny, I live in Alberta and it gets cold here, really cold, and I don't know a single person who has a generator. Perhaps it because our lines are buried and we rarely lose power for more than a couple of hours.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's funny, I live in Alberta and it gets cold here, really cold, and I don't know a single person who has a generator. Perhaps it because our lines are buried and we rarely lose power for more than a couple of hours.
I wish our power lines were underground! Very few people in the States are that lucky because you are correct- we lose power when trees fall on the overhead lines during storms. And if the storm affects a large area it can take the power company many days to fix the problems.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I wish our power lines were underground! Very few people in the States are that lucky because you are correct- we lose power when trees fall on the overhead lines during storms. And if the storm affects a large area it can take the power company many days to fix the problems.
I moved here from WVA and remember that well. Thankfully it didn't get cold there like it does here.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Hey, our neighborhood lines are both above and underground! Thatā€™s cool that itā€™s not just an Alaskan thing!

Most Reactions

Latest posts