Weaning Advice Sun Conure

PipersHumom

May 1, 2020
Plant City, Florida
Parrots
Piper - Sun Conure
Hello everyone! I am new to the group and I am very excited to learn from you all.
My husband and my children purchased a Sun Conure for me as an early Mother's Day gift. About 6 years ago I had gotten a Sun Conure and it was stolen from our lanai. I was heartbroken for years and they knew I always wanted another one. So, last weekend they came in the house with the cutest little thing. There were actually 2, as my 24 yr old daughter had decided that she needed one as well. I was delighted but quickly concerned. My first Sun Conure had been purchased from a bird store that was very strict that none of their birds left with their new mommas until they were fully weaned and flying. I went nearly every day to spend at least 1-3 hours holding him, interacting with him, and feeding him treats. It was a great time to learn about owning a conure and getting prepared to take him home.
However, these birds that my daughter picked up are not weaned and were very young. She was told that they were 6 weeks but I think they were more like 4-5. They barely had feathers and require handfeeding several times a day. Luckily I have nursed a baby bird back to health with handfeedings; so I was not a total newbie. I would not call myself proficient in any way. I am angry that this man took advantage of my family by selling two birds that never should have left their bird mom yet.
At this point, I have been doing the feedings and they are growing and getting their feathers and one of them is a daredevil and thinks he can fly. He has managed to make a soft landing from the table to floor twice. (Not by my choice - sneaky little thing)
I already know that hand-fed birds are not better than momma fed birds and this situation was not my choice. I was instantly in love with them and would not think of returning them to such an irresponsible breeder any how.
Please help guide me through the process to learn how I should be offering fresh foods, pellets, seeds, etc. I do have water in the brooder with them at all times and I have witnessed each of them drinking from the dish. What should my next steps be? I don't mind the handfeeding and both eat very well, but I also want to be sure I am weaning them properly and allowing for as l long of a process that it needs to be. Due to COVID-19 I am work from home for the distant future, so I have all the time in the world.
Thank you everyone and I look forward to one day being a resource for a newbie like me. :orange:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
You said lanai; are you in Hawaii? More specifically on Oahu? If so I highly recommend getting in touch with Casey Baker of Rainbow Wave Aviaries and The Pet Hale. She knows what she’s doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Oh drat. I’ve only heard that term in Hawaii.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts