Weaning regression

Lokasia

May 13, 2022
Parrots
Kiki the baby quaker
Hi folks,

I'm looking for help. Got an alexandrine chick about 10 days ago. Think he was about 12 weeks. The breeder told me he might want a hand feeding one or two days extra and gave me formula but he's eating seeds. He's 200 grams, eating a high quality low sunflower seed mix, eats his chop in the morning, eats birdie bread, he'll test larger food items I give him ( my chop is very mushy as its frozen and has abit of sweet potatoes in it.. however he is constant screaming for food. I mean constantly, I'm working from home and the birds are based in my office during tge day and he does not let up. He will scream for food while he's actually at his chop eating. I know they can regress but I'm unsure how to deal with this and if I should go back to offering feedings. As I said he eats everything I put in front of him and he's definitely eating his food. I asked the breeder and he told me if it's eating the seed its weaned and to just ignore it. I got my quaker from the same breeder and never had this issue, I actually had to teach her to eat the chop.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi folks,

I'm looking for help. Got an alexandrine chick about 10 days ago. Think he was about 12 weeks. The breeder told me he might want a hand feeding one or two days extra and gave me formula but he's eating seeds. He's 200 grams, eating a high quality low sunflower seed mix, eats his chop in the morning, eats birdie bread, he'll test larger food items I give him ( my chop is very mushy as its frozen and has abit of sweet potatoes in it.. however he is constant screaming for food. I mean constantly, I'm working from home and the birds are based in my office during tge day and he does not let up. He will scream for food while he's actually at his chop eating. I know they can regress but I'm unsure how to deal with this and if I should go back to offering feedings. As I said he eats everything I put in front of him and he's definitely eating his food. I asked the breeder and he told me if it's eating the seed its weaned and to just ignore it. I got my quaker from the same breeder and never had this issue, I actually had to teach her to eat the chop.
Your bird is likely not ready to be fully weaned. Just because she eats solids doesn't mean you shouldn't give formula.

When your bird refuses to eat formula, then it's time to stop feeding it to her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts