weaning trouble

sandiez

Aug 7, 2015
Wales UK
Parrots
Echo my baby yellow crowned amazon, Buzz-celestial parrotlet, Charlie and Blue - bonded pair of budgies
Hi I'm new to the forum and have most likely overlooked a thread that already contains the answer I'm looking for.
I have a baby yellow crowned amazon. He is roughly 15 weeks old as I was told he was 12 weeks when i had him. Ive nearly gone through 1.5-2 kgs of formula since he came home. He seems very fussy on what he picks up. Ive got him on a very clean healthy diet but he'd rather let his crop empty than feed himself. Hes up at 6 crying for formula and wont sleep at night unless he's been hand fed. I'm really worried that he's too reliant on me.
Any tips would be awesome!
James

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I raise a lot of amazon babies. What is the question? yes when you bring them home they tend to regress a bit. have you tried weaning him to a spoon? Do you weigh him daily? You know their crop shrinks after they fledge. What you are doing is nowdays called "comfort feeding". it's not uncommon to be still feeding formula at 15 wks. IMO lose the syringe.

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
Pudgie & lemon cockatiels
Abbie & Finch zebra finches
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Hello James. How are you? Welcome to the forums :) you ll find a lot of very knowledgeable people here, especially the Capt :). Like you, I also have a young yellow crowned Amazon, she is about the same age as yours and still wants formula. At the moment she has a mixture of fresh fruit and veg for breakfast but she has formula for lunch and dinner via a spoon. She has shown interest in muffins, bagels, oatmeal and whatever breakfast foods I happen to have and she is trying solid foods but she still takes the formula twice a day. Just wanted to post and let you know I m experiencing something similar and not to worry. Have patience and enjoy your new found companion. Thank you for to post. Have a lovely evening. Sarah

Most Reactions

Latest posts