Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Totally not parrot related.... idk if it's a good idea but thought I could create such tread because we have members from very different parts of the world - for some people 15C is fine temperature, for others too cold (because they live in a tropical country), so maybe it could be kinda interesting to share how is the temperature in your area.
I think this site is fine: https://weatherspark.com/ (you just search for your town but note - it shows average temperature of course)

I'll start:
1663773005646.png

I was surprised how I didn't get any orange area... maybe because it's an average temperature and 24C+ isn't often enough to have "warm days" on the diagram (sometimes we have even hot days and it's not because we are used to lower temp. - I mean the meaning accepted by the side)

If you like the idea, we also can share other data such as Average Monthly Rainfall but I don't think it may be so interesting :p

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We live in Michigan USA and are located about 150 miles South of the 45 parallel and being surrounded by the 'Great Lakes' we see the effects of the far North and far South as the Weather (temperature) follows the change in Season. Today is the Calendar Start of Fall and we started the day at 77 degrees 'F' and by Sunset it will be 48 degrees 'F'. Point being that such wonderful charts as seen above have little meaning day to day as the statement of: If you do not like Weather here, wait 5 minutes and it will change. Although there is no assurance that you will like what it was replaced with.

Great Thread!!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Screenshot_20221005-102944_Chrome.jpg

Must say, this is quite accurate! Except on some winter days it's cold the whole time. Usually the temperature does not go below 7Ā°C on a very cold day. Also on hot days temperatures usually don't go above 30Ā°C, but on very hot days it can reach almost 40Ā°C, although that happens rarely.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221005-102148_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221005-102148_Chrome.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 43
OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
View attachment 44725
Must say, this is quite accurate! Except on some winter days it's cold the whole time. Usually the temperature does not go below 7Ā°C on a very cold day. Also on hot days temperatures usually don't go above 30Ā°C, but on very hot days it can reach almost 40Ā°C, although that happens rarely.
Um, according to this site you get from 7 to 29C

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Um, according to this site you get from 7 to 29C
Usually it doesn't go so low, but that's the absolute minimum. Average coldest temperature is about 14. On a hot day, the hottest temperature it goes is about 28-30.

But on average, a cold day is 14-18Ā°C and average warm day is about 24-27Ā°C

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The serious problem with charts of average temperatures is the word average. We live on a Planet that travels around a Star and as a result we have cycles that have a time line of thousands of centuries. When looking at that size, cycle variations become huge and a variation of even 30+/- % becomes small. Understanding that the last Ice Age ended some 11 -15000 years ago with a warming point starting some 6 -8000 years before that. Average temperatures during those periods were much lower.

The wonders of an Advanced Statics course is to be faced with such challenges. Within Civil Engineering is a commonly forgotten chart that provide a wonderful list of likely occurrences of temperature, rain, etc., over any given year in groups from 1 to 5000 years. with Statics one can than project out to 25 -50000 years and far beyond.

Point being a few degrees over any given month means nothing when compared to the joys of conversing with a friend about the weather.

Last edited:
OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Just a small explanation what "average day temperature" means - it's an average of all temperatures during 24h, so it's always lower than you get during day (because nights are colder).
In the case of these diagrams it's an average during different time and months - Of course I don't know how it's in SA, in the diagram it looks like you get below 13 only in nights and in the morning till 10am. Idk if it's true or not but I understand you - I was surprised why I didn't get any "warm" time but I guess I shouldn't get it because it's hotter in SA and you didn't get "hot"šŸ˜œ

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Just a small explanation what "average day temperature" means - it's an average of all temperatures during 24h, so it's always lower than you get during day (because nights are colder).
In the case of these diagrams it's an average during different time and months - Of course I don't know how it's in SA, in the diagram it looks like you get below 13 only in nights and in the morning till 10am. Idk if it's true or not but I understand you - I was surprised why I didn't get any "warm" time but I guess I shouldn't get it because it's hotter in SA and you didn't get "hot"šŸ˜œ
Usually at night it's a bit colder. In winter it can be cold throughout the whole day, but when it's rainy and cloudy and cold when I'm trying to sleep at night, I have to use three blankets just to warm myself, lol. Usually very cold weather is only in mornig/night but sometimes it's throughout the day but not always.

On warm nights, I find that the nights tend to be just as warm as it was during the day. Sometimes it's cooler, sometimes not. Summer nights suck. Yes you can stay outside for longer because the weather is nice(and the sun sets latet), but when you try to fall asleep you stay up for so long just trying to feel comfortable.

In certain areas in SA, it is a lot warmer, and in others, it's a lot colder. Where I'm from it's a mix of both.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
my flock and i r from los angeles! its a high of 92 F which i find comfortable. but tonight its gonna be a freezing 59 and i am not excited. jello and i will be snuggled under all the blankets

Is that the coldest it gets there?
(Wondering from Alberta...lol)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
just about. sometimes around 4-5am when im leaving for work its 55 out, but usually its 80-120 out here! (i prefer the 100s)
I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say that high a temperature. I can't even imagine. It's the same but in reverse for me. I love it when it's -20 and lower and I really suffer when it hits 80..

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Well we have a freeze warning tonight which means there may be the very first plant die offs tomorrow morning!

I think I missed my chance to get photos of Willow with outdoor flowers.

I have some geraniums indoors, but they got neglected and arenā€™t looking so great.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I'm pulling up the last of the tomatoes and peppers today.

We should be in the 60s-70s later this week but I didn't check yours - your weekend was colder than here ! Which is so backwards to me!

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say that high a temperature. I can't even imagine. It's the same but in reverse for me. I love it when it's -20 and lower and I really suffer when it hits 80..
haha when u live out here u just get used to it. 80 is comfortable but can be chilly if its windy šŸ˜¬

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Michigan 'inland areas' had some frost last night. Along Lake Michigan Shoreline area was in the mid-forty range. High temperature today was 51 degrees with a 16 mph steady wind.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
IMG_7872.jpeg

Iā€™d say itā€™s a bit colder than this shows, given the weather app and all, but it certainly doesnā€™t feel like it to me. I havenā€™t been this comfortable since last November! Summer was absolute hell though, so I MORE than welcome the snow! Summer days were 60Ā°F+ and no breeze! Even the rainy days were too hotā€¦

I am not hearing the end of it from my family though. God, I canā€™t count how many ā€œbrrā€s or ā€œdamn itā€™s cold out!ā€s Iā€™ve heard. Like, itā€™s not even cold! I literally canā€™t shovel the driveway if Iā€™m not in shorts and a tank top, otherwise I overheat!

Most Reactions

Latest posts