Weird conure sound. Should I be concerned?

Yesmria

Aug 22, 2020
Parrots
Cockatiel, Sun Conure
Starting 4 days ago my baby obi has started making this sound. *he makes it at 3 seconds* The first 3 days hes been making it only once a day but today I've caught him making it about 5-6. He has a vet appointment set for this Wednesday but should I move it to today? He is a 8 month old sun conure. My partner said it just sounds like a sneeze but when I've seen him do it his head doesn't jerk like with a regular sneeze. He just opens his mouth and the sound comes out? [ame="https://youtu.be/fyZi-93zsXQ"]weird bird sound - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Babies make all kinds of odd sounds and it can be a bit concerning.

The hard part is defining their meaning as in many cases its just them trying out making different sounds.

The important sounds are 'sneezing' especially if it is often. Another is a 'clicking' sound that occurs with their breathing -- if it includes tail bobbing that's a high speed trip to the Vet's Clinic!!!

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
The important thing is to see if there is discharge around his nares and if he is having trouble breathing. I couldn't really tell which if those sounds was the one you were talking about and it would help to see the bird making the sound. Sorry I'm not more helpful.
When in doubt, a trip to the Vet is always the safe choice.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I could not hear any sound, nit sure why I can't find volume.

Warmth is critical for sick birds. Having a kitchen gram scale abd weigh your bird every dsy if you think something is going on.

I can't advise about moving up appointment, since I didn't hear
https://www.littlecrittersvet.com/sick-birds.pml

Last edited:

Most Reactions