Weird Jenday conure behavior

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Recently my conure laid 2 eggs, but cracked both of them. She had a nest box and liked to sit inside. Before she did this thing where sheā€™s flapping her wings and making noises once in a while. Now itā€™s 24/7. I donā€™t even think Iā€™ve heard her sleep. To be honest itā€™s very annoying to me and everyone in the house but Iā€™m more so much more worried about her. It started being extreme after I took out the nest box( she already forgot the egg). What should I do? Should I give her a fake egg and put another nest box?
Iā€™ll attach a video

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    7 MB
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    5.4 MB

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Why does your conure have a nest box? Unless you have a pair and want to breed, a nest box will only confuse your bird.

Birds bodies get ready to breed (lay or fertilize eggs) when their environment looks good for raising a family. So, long hours of daylight, rich food, excessive stroking or petting, and presence of a NEST are enough to start an adult female parrot laying eggs. This is hard on her body and dangerous as the eggs can get stuck if she lays many of them.

I didnā€™t see anything about a male bird or wanting to breed them. If sheā€™s alone you need to take away the nest box. As you see, besides laying eggs, being in breeding condition makes her not such a good pet.

Most Reactions