Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
So back in November I saw a post on craigslist for a Grey. I've been at what i consider "max capacity" for a bit but something drew me to this ad, so I replied. I soon found out that this person was the same person I had gotten Sydney from and she was ecstatic to hear from me. Sydney was their neighbor's bird which they took in, and had gotten Tallulah around the same time.

Unfortunately, after several years, although she's been good with the rest of the family, she began acting aggressively towards her "mom" who felt that she wasn't able to give her the level of care that she needed any more, with her kids being in high school and very busy. She told me she would make a decision over the holidays whether or not she could give her up, and finally made the decision in January, and I just got her home yesterday, after a very tearful goodbye.

Luckilly, she lives close and is more than welcome to come visit whenever she likes, we also became friends over facebook so that I can keep her updated easier.

I wasn't concerned about quarantine, since she has been vet checked in the last six months, as well as being an only bird. The only bird she had ever been in contact with was Sydney, who is healthy, and it was quite a few years ago.

The only problem with her seems to be the beginning stages of plucking around her neck, which I'm hoping to get control of quickly! She's super sweet and cuddly, and loves attention. Being that she was socialized with a big family, she comes to me no problem and seems to be a pretty happy bird. Her feathers are a bit rough from chewing and her grip is a little weak, I have hope for my pretty little girl!

cpwdrM0.jpg

Com342Z.jpg

vZou5Mc.jpg

PqSQ7dv.jpg

Here you can see a bit of her neck where she's been plucking, it's hard to see because she often has her neck scrunched up a little bit. I'm doing what I can to keep her distracted and going to give her some things to shred. She's also a little bit underweight, which should be an easy fix.

jaN2P2k.jpg

K0fIqzr.jpg

mDts9qJ.jpg

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
She's really cute. Congrats on your new addition. Looking forward to hearing about how well she fits in.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
She's really cute. Congrats on your new addition. Looking forward to hearing about how well she fits in.

So far so good! She likes my cooking so that's a good start!

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Congrats Liz, she's a very cute bird :)

Thanks! She's really good. Did her nails tonight because I have little holes all over my arms and hands from her poor little claws.

I'm a little concerned about her plucking as the change in environment seems to have made it a little worse but I'm making her some preening toys, and saving up for a cage since she doesn't have one (has an okay stand but they sold the cage when they "downsized.")

I'm hoping in a few days she'll relax and ease up on the plucking, but I know how temperamental greys can be.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
She's beautiful, Liz! Congrats!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congrats Liz, she's a very cute bird :)

Thanks! She's really good. Did her nails tonight because I have little holes all over my arms and hands from her poor little claws.

I'm a little concerned about her plucking as the change in environment seems to have made it a little worse but I'm making her some preening toys, and saving up for a cage since she doesn't have one (has an okay stand but they sold the cage when they "downsized.")

I'm hoping in a few days she'll relax and ease up on the plucking, but I know how temperamental greys can be.

Kept the bird but sold the cage, wow :confused:. I wish you all the best with Tallulah. I'm sure she'll thrive under your care.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congratulations! Tallulah is gorgeous! My CAG, Justice, was plucked on his neck when we got him as well, and unfortunately nothing has grown back there. Hopefully you got Tallulah before the follicles were damaged.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
What a beautiful girl! She's lucky to be with you now.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
She's been much more relaxed today and her appetite has been better. She ate some berries, carrot sheds, and some sprouts in addition to some pellets. She gets a little nervous off her stand and will start plucking at her neck, so I'm handling her for a few minutes at a time and then putting her back. She's not aggressive to me at all and although she's "hit" me with her beak, she doesn't bite at all which I'm very happy about!

It's so cute listening to Gonzo try to talk to her and then watch each other. I wonder if they know they're the same species!

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
So first thing this morning she was letting me pet her and she started regurgitating a little for me, so I think we're going to be okay!

Changed out her water, and she decided to give herself a very messy bath. Had to run and grab a towel for the floor (and myself!) and my phone to record her. I tried to spray her with the bottle but she didn't like it terribly much, I think she prefers her way. :p

You can hear Gonzo in the background talking to her.
[ame="https://youtu.be/Zaa1K8HuBkI"]Tallulah giving herself a bath - YouTube[/ame]

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Great to hear it sounds like she's fitting right in and is comfortable with you already! With such a smooth transition, it must have been meant to be.

I often wonder too if birds in our homes realize they are the same species or same genus at least. Probably, since in the wild they can recognize one another.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Great to hear it sounds like she's fitting right in and is comfortable with you already! With such a smooth transition, it must have been meant to be.

I often wonder too if birds in our homes realize they are the same species or same genus at least. Probably, since in the wild they can recognize one another.

My boyfriend said to me yesterday "you have like, a green thumb, but for birds." Lol

He keeps pushing me to start a rescue, and when our downstairs neighbor moves out he said he'd rent the bottom floor just for birds. I am seriously considering it because there aren't any in my area really, and I have connections to a local emergency rescue team (Red Paw if you've heard of it, they assist the red cross in the area to rescue pets from fires and other disasters, but mostly handle dogs and cats, usually pass off birds to the PSPCA) But I know it would be a pretty big undertaking, so it wouldn't happen for a while, gives me plenty of time to do the research and planning part.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh that sounds exciting Liz! It would definitely take some planning and paperwork and all to make a legit business come to fruition, but sounds like the place you live in would be ideal. Especially with your "green thumb" for birds :). Now to make your downstairs neighbor move out... LOL.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Oh that sounds exciting Liz! It would definitely take some planning and paperwork and all to make a legit business come to fruition, but sounds like the place you live in would be ideal. Especially with your "green thumb" for birds :). Now to make your downstairs neighbor move out... LOL.

He's in his late 80's, so it'll happen eventually lol. Since it's a duplex it would be easy to keep my birds separate, since they'd stay upstairs with me. It's something that's really important to me, considering how many birds are on Craigslist here, being in the city. I think the closest are in NJ and Lancaster, at least an hour or more in either direction. And of course friends on here that work in shelters, I know how overcrowded they can get! I'd love to help take the strain off of them.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I love her bathing antics lol! I remember Smokey,my TAG,just hated baths! I would try and squirt her with a misting bottle,only to have her scrunch down,hide her head,and just simply do NOTHING.

But the moment she went back in her house,she'd run to her water bowl and dunk herself silly,flinging water everywhere :rolleyes: Silly Grey!

Jim

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Our CAG Reno was an inveterate feather "chewer" (rather than "plucker"), and when we got him as a rescue, he only had a couple of intact feathers on his wings, absolutely no tail at all, and little but down everywhere except on his head (which he couldn't reach).

The change in environment, our large & entertaining flock, plus the constant attention & wide selection of food & toys, seems to have done the trick. It's been 13 months now, and he has full, glorious plumage - even a beautiful, full-length bright red tail!

I suspect a lot of problems occur with not keeping a CAG engaged - lots of personal attention, lots of scritches, plenty of conversation, and a highly diverse diet seem to work wonders.

On the subject of diet...Reno loves meat, in addition to his usual fruits, veggies, and pellets (which he calls "cookies") - beef, pork, and especially chicken, are among his faves. Of course, we limit these to small amounts, but he really gets animated at the sight of a chicken leg! He'll scamper up your arm, and steal the whole thing out of your hand, if he gets the opportunity.

Mostly, we let him have the bone, with gristle & a little meat left on it, and he eats it ALL - not a trace left afterwards, not even bone fragments.

It seems kind of weird, in a vaguely cannibalistic way, but I suppose the protein & calcium do him good. Our other parrots do the same thing, so I guess it's instinctive for them to get protein when the opportunity arises.

Good luck, and have fun with her!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Tallulah is beautiful and seems full of personality. I'm sure she will thrive in your home. Suspect birds of a species recognize each other, though it's not a guarantee of affinity!

Great idea to form a rescue. Sadly there are never enough resources to properly care for birds who no longer have a secure home.

Most Reactions