Well, My Husband liked the birdie bread!

PicklesParrot

Feb 25, 2013
Florida
Parrots
Male SI Eclectus
I made birdie bread last night for the first time ever! Also, Last night I made a huge pot of vegetarian chili for dinner. Hubby comes home from work, ravenous as usual, so I tell him to go ahead and get a bowl and start eating, I'll be right there. I hear him shout to me from the dining room "Dang baby this cornbread is awesome!" And I'm thinking to myself "what cornbread? I didnt make cornbread." When I finally sit down at the table I realized.... He had cut himself a big piece from the birdie bread and started digging in with his chili! LOL!!!! He LOVED IT! I started laughing and told him what it was the look on his face was priceless! He looks up all terrified and says meekly "Oh no, am I going to be ok? Can I eat this? Whats in it?" Poor guy! But, I reassured him it's ok, it was all natural and all food we eat normally. SO FUNNY!!!! I'll include my recipe below. I'm not a baking person so I was worried I'd mess it up. But, with all the lovely suggestions from people in this forum, I whipped it up and it came out amazing. Mr. Pickles LOVES it, and so does Hubby! I won't lie, I snuck a piece for myself as well. So tasty!

I got this mix from Whole Foods : Glutino Yankee Cornbread - Gluten Free
Ingredients in mix: Corn Meal, White Rice Flour, Baking Soda, Salt

Directions on Box:
1 bag cornbread mix
1/4 cup of sugar
1 1/3 cup of buttermilk
1 egg slightly beaten
6 tbspn butter

Mix it all up and bake at 425.

Obviously I'm not going to feed my bird, sugar, butter, or buttermilk. So I adapted the recipe to this below:

My Bird Recipe:

-1 bag cornbread mix
-puree from 1 kiwi and 1/2 mango
-1 egg beaten
-instead of water I poured 2 small baby food jars (pear and blueberries/Mango and carrots - Organic with no additives other than citric and absorbic acid) into my measuring cup, and then added water to thin it out and equal the 1 1/3 cup water from the original recipe
-6 tbspn coconut oil instead of butter
-1/2 apple chopped to tiny pieces
- 1/4 papaya chopped to tiny pieces
- about 3 tbspn papaya seeds
- 1/2 cup flax seeds

Mixed it all up good and baked it at 425 for about 30 minutes. From all the fruit it was so sweet and delicious! I might actually make this when thanksgiving comes around this year and surprise my family! It tasted like good ole grandmas southern cornbread!

I served this to Mr. Pickles with some chopped grapes and sliced bananas on top and he just went NUTS over it!

marjs29

Jun 29, 2013
Ca
Parrots
Cockatiel Ty, Parakeet Paolo, and Parakeet Peter
I thought salt of any kind is not good for birds. Your story is funny. Has your Hubby learned the step up and step down command? LOL

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
That is soooo funny. i can just picture thinking 'what cornbread???' hahaha. i would have fallen over laughing so hard.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Ha! My husband did the same thing however my recipe was not as kind, I had chopped up pellets in mine!

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
I would totally try your birdie bread myself, it sounds very good. A few weeks ago, I tried making Frankie some pasta and beans with a few veggies mixed in. She didn't like it very well...so, I had leftovers and wasn't sure what to do with it. So, I made pasta salad. It was excellent!

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Lol, yeah that birdie bread sounds pretty freaking fantasitc. Not to mention I'm starving right now.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Except for seed mix and pellets, my birds eat the same food that I do everyday. I come from a long line of bakers and bird lovers, so, "birdy bread", is almost the same as my grandmother baked for us, and her birds, so long ago.

Most Reactions

Latest posts