WesternPacific - Stainless Steel Cages

MarkJ77433

Mar 17, 2020
Cypress, TX (Houston)
Parrots
Congo African Grey (deceased - 40 years)
Yellow Naped Amazon (deceased 33 years)
Panama Amazon (born 4/21/2019)
I'm still looking around at options on acquiring a new bird cage for my Panama Amazon. I am considering a powder coated Kings Cage 9003223, which is a good fit for my bird.

However, Stainless Steel is another option I am considering. Its only real drawback seems to be price. In addition to some of the BirdCages4Less stainless options, which all look very good, I've run into a brand I've found little information on - WesternPacific.

WesternPacific Large 304 Stainless Steel Parrot MacCaw Cage listed here on Amazon, but found at a slightly better price on eBay.

Can anyone offer information on the quality of this cage, experiences with the cage itself, the weld quality, the value to purchase stainless steel at a premium price over powder coating? Is a 1" bar spacing too generous for an Amazon (my previous cage was 1 1/4" and was never a problem)?

I've had powder coated cages for over 30 years and they have held up well and looked very nice. Cleaning is a bit of a chore - as I roll them outside and give them a deep cleaning whenever possible. But my African Grey's white powder dander just clung to the powder coating (double powder :)).

I know stainless is a longer term solution and an easier to clean solution, but getting a good quality cage without spending a small fortune to provide a safe living environment for my bird is a priority. I'm primarily trying to gain some additional perspective on WesternPacific and selecting stainless over powder coating.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I seriously don’t think all powder coating is created equal anymore. Like you I had some older powder coated cages I’d had for years but I decided to replace them last year, and what a massively depressing exercise cage shopping is these days! Anyway I got two brand new powder coated cages, only to find within a few months my tiny purple crowned lorikeet (think smaller than a budgie) had chewed a chunk of the powder coating clean off my cockatiel’s brand new cage! Naturally I hit the panic button and got online that day and bought two stainless steel cages which were *hideously* expensive but I have zero worries now about paint or powder coating being chewed off!

My little guys only have small beaks so I cannot advise you about weld point strength. Our fellow member ParrotGenie has similar cages for his cockatoos so he would be the guy to ask about that. Unfortunately stainless steel is not completely rust proof either, but if/when I see a spot of rust when I clean them with my water blaster I just give it a quick rub with some steel wool and it comes right off.

They definitely are a considered purchase but I’m pretty happy with mine, and my birds really seem to like them too. Given the distinct lack of quality in powder coated cages these days (in Australia at least!) I’d never go back.

Last edited:

dara

Mar 30, 2020
i was looking into getting my amazzon a bigger cage, i think its best that i just build her an avairy, but if i make if of polycarbonate what will i put against it, so she doesnt fly into it???

id love some help, my reserch on the internet hasnt given me anything

Adamc1303

Sep 3, 2019
I've seen the western pacific cages. They are great! I believe they are made in China at the same factory that makes Kings and A & E. If you look at the kings SS cages and the A & E SS cages they are exactly the same with the breeder door on the play top cages being on opposite sides. The same goes for Western Pacific. I like play top cages with breeder doors. I leave that small door open and my grey uses that to get to the play top. When I used to leave my main door open she would sit on it and poop all over the floor. You can also go on wayfair and look at a brand Tucker Murphy. They advertise it under that name but it's really a Prevue Hendrix cage and is branded Prevue as well. The best solution is an American made SS cage but they are extremely expensive. I use SS and I would never go back. The cleaning is extremely easy. I barely clean the cage and when I do dried up bird poop usually flakes right off with just my fingers! All of the cages I mentioned are very decent quality. The Prevue has a mirror finish SS which I think is easier to clean but doesn't come in a large enough size for Greys IMO so I use it for my Senegal. The others come in regular SS.

Most Reactions

Latest posts