Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Special Needs Birds are birds with any sort of disability that may require special care, be it medicine given regularly, a cage set-up that works for them, special ways of feeding, etc.

The disability may be physical:
*Splayed legs
*A wing that was injured and didn't heal properly
*Blind in one or both eyes
*Deaf
*A broken beak that didn't heal properly

It may be neurological:
*Stargazing
*Effects after a stroke
*Night terrors after exposure to drugs

It may be age related:
*Loss of balance
*Inability to perch

These are just a sampling of issues that birds can have, and it is by no means a complete list.

Thanks to a wonderful suggestion by @BirdyBee , these special birds and their parronts now have this forum specifically for them. By sharing how you have dealt with the issues, you could help an untold number of birds.

The people who have seen past the disability and brought these wonderful birds into their hearts already know how special they are. We hope that by reading their stories, tribulations and triumphs that everyone else will know it as well.

Last edited:

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I agree this is a fabulous idea. I know I got a lot of help and ideas from those with special needs birds, when I was accommodating my older budgie who most likely had arthritis as well as limited flight capability.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I agree this is a fabulous idea. I know I got a lot of help and ideas from those with special needs birds, when I was accommodating my older budgie who most likely had arthritis as well as limited flight capability.
Please feel free to start a thread about your sweet budgie and what you did to make things easier.
The more info available, the better:)

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Please feel free to start a thread about your sweet budgie and what you did to make things easier.
The more info available, the better:)
I'll have a look through my photos for the ones of his setup :)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Babyphila

Mar 30, 2022
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo - Baby
Special Needs Birds are birds with any sort of disability that may require special care, be it medicine given regularly, a cage set-up that works for them, special ways of feeding, etc.

The disability may be physical:
*Splayed legs
*A wing that was injured and didn't heal properly
*Blind in one or both eyes
*Deaf
*A broken beak that didn't heal properly

It may be neurological:
*Stargazing
*Effects after a stroke
*Night terrors after exposure to drugs

These are just a sampling of issues that birds can have, and it is by no means a complete list.

Thanks to a wonderful suggestion by @BirdyBee , these special birds and their parronts now have this forum specifically for them. By sharing how you have dealt with the issues, you could help an untold number of birds.

The people who have seen past the disability and brought these wonderful birds into their hearts already know how special they are. We hope that by reading their stories, tribulations and triumphs that everyone else will know it as well.
May I ask what stargazing is?

Most Reactions