What are things you will see/hear/do as long as you have parrots?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I decided to make this thread since it seems like a fun one! It doesnā€™t have to be for every/most bird(s), it can be specific to your bird!

Hereā€™s what I got:

Rainbows. as long as you have birds, you will more or less have to see MANY colors! Rainbow chickens like rainbow toys!

SCREAMING. This bothers many but I find bird screaming to be very unbothering. And compared to a human child screaming, bird screaming sounds like my favorite song.

The goofy accommodations. I thankfully donā€™t have to do much accommodations for Rico but I still have to do some like making sure the toys arenā€™t too red, making sure the toy isnā€™t too plasticky, making sure that the toys arenā€™t too small, cutting fruit the way he likes (cubes for apples, mashed up bananas, etc), and arranging his cage the way he likes.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
GOOFY?? How about downright absurd. Salty gets walnuts, 2 Nutraberries and 13 pellets for breakfast. He uses the pellets like a snack, wandering over to his dry food bowl during the day and snags a pellet to munch on. The absurd thing is if I put 14 or more pellets in there, he will not touch them at all, nada - they are still in the bowl. Like the nut to Nutraberry to pellet ratio is not correct!! Does he count them? Some abstract parrot Golden Ratio? God forbid I put 20 in there! He might have a feather explosion!

He absolutely destroys wood toys, sometimes in a matter of minutes - if they are hanging on his play chain. And he has a lot of them. BUT - the same toys, placed INSIDE his cage, he will not touch them. Same stupid toys or others similar in construction. Nope. He likes his cage to be like an open floor plan!

Salty absolutely hates when I am not home in the evening. I go to a musical jam session on Tuesday nights, most weeks. I swear he can tell hours and hours before I leave, and will give me a good bite if i let him get the chance. All it takes is me going downstairs to the studio to pack up my fiddle and put it by the front door, and he knows its Tuesday. Once I do that, I dare not put a finger near him. I;ve tried all sorts of subterfuges - he still knows its Tuesday. How?? How??

I swear I think parrots spend a good part of their day thinking of all sorts of crazy idiosyncrasies to drive us nuts. Plotting. Scheming. Conspiring.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
GOOFY?? How about downright absurd. Salty gets walnuts, 2 Nutraberries and 13 pellets for breakfast. He uses the pellets like a snack, wandering over to his dry food bowl during the day and snags a pellet to munch on. The absurd thing is if I put 14 or more pellets in there, he will not touch them at all, nada - they are still in the bowl. Like the nut to Nutraberry to pellet ratio is not correct!! Does he count them? Some abstract parrot Golden Ratio? God forbid I put 20 in there! He might have a feather explosion!

He absolutely destroys wood toys, sometimes in a matter of minutes - if they are hanging on his play chain. And he has a lot of them. BUT - the same toys, placed INSIDE his cage, he will not touch them. Same stupid toys or others similar in construction. Nope. He likes his cage to be like an open floor plan!

Salty absolutely hates when I am not home in the evening. I go to a musical jam session on Tuesday nights, most weeks. I swear he can tell hours and hours before I leave, and will give me a good bite if i let him get the chance. All it takes is me going downstairs to the studio to pack up my fiddle and put it by the front door, and he knows its Tuesday. Once I do that, I dare not put a finger near him. I;ve tried all sorts of subterfuges - he still knows its Tuesday. How?? How??

I swear I think parrots spend a good part of their day thinking of all sorts of crazy idiosyncrasies to drive us nuts. Plotting. Scheming. Conspiring.
That is very absurd! It HAS to be exactly 13 pellets? And he wonā€™t even have his beak in its mere direction if itā€™s not how he wants?! That is absolutely nutty! Wonder what would happen if you put half of a pellet in there? Would he be too confused to be angry or would his feathery majesty be absolutely outraged? Iā€™m positive he counts them, they are mega intelligent after all, and can count, just like crows, chickens, primates, dolphins, pigeons, etc. so I do think that he counts them out and has figured out what ratio he likes and now you, his servant, must give his majesty what he wants. He doesnā€™t have a golden crown of feathers for nothing!

Salty is definitely an interesting bird! All the birds Iā€™ve had (3) would have absolutely gone insane if they had no toys in their cages! But his majesty must have a clear palace! He cannot have it cluttered, because how else will he be seen so clearly? His majestyā€™s beauty mustnā€™t be obstructed by playthings! He obviously WANTS playthings but they shall NOT be in his palace, they shall be in his courtyard.

Well obviously his majesty needs his servant to clean up after him! Thatā€™s why he is outraged whenever itā€™s a Tuesday evening! He did not give you any permission to leave, and yet you leave anyway. Thatā€™s why his majesty is absolutely outraged and infuriated by your evening absence. But in all seriousness, thatā€™s pretty crazy! He bites you when he sees you preparing to leave? How much does it hurt? Have you tried moving your fiddle to the door in the night before Tuesday or the early hours before salty awakes so he doesnā€™t see it? That may save you some birdy terror and bites! I do believe that due to his schedule, he is able to know when it is Tuesday. Every 7 days, you leave in the evening to go to a music session. And because of this, he can anticipate events with his complex birdy brain, despite not being able to read clocks or calendars.

Its pretty believable to think that they think of ways to drive us crazy because they get a reaction out of us. Itā€™s kind of like how a lot of kids (and people in general) will push their limits with people, testing the waters and seeing how far they can go and get reactions. And when people get angry, they find it to be the funniest thing in the history of ever. Parrots are like human children and I have seen a lot of birds who like to mess with people to get a reaction, Rico even does it. When he senses fear from someone, he figures out what is causing the fear and who it is, and if he realizes they are scared of him (he will seem to test this by approaching them or flying near them, and if he gets the reaction he wants, he will bully them) he terrorizes them. He even LAUGHS when people duck or jump or even cry (yes, he scared someone so badly they cried). So itā€™s no stretch to think that he plots of ways to test you because, to put it simply, itā€™s absolutely hilarious to him.

I wonder if a pair, trio, etc. of the same species could formulate a plan to do something?

I want to think they can, since when I had my budgies, they both flew at me when I was eating ice cream and ice landed on my head, almost as a distraction, while tea landed on the bowl to try and get the ice cream. They didnā€™t get ice cream but it was really weird yet interesting. What do you think?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Wow! Salty counts his pellets! What a fussy bird! Is he OCD? That really is bizarre!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh he is chock full of idiosyncrasies.. I doubt he is actually 'counting' them - more of like "I dont think the proportions is right', much like how humming birds will select this flower and not that one. If I thought he was actually counting them, like 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, I would start locking up the credit cards at night.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Oh he is chock full of idiosyncrasies.. I doubt he is actually 'counting' them - more of like "I dont think the proportions is right', much like how humming birds will select this flower and not that one. If I thought he was actually counting them, like 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, I would start locking up the credit cards at night.
what if he is secretly a hummingbird?
Just think about it! Salty is bird, salty has wings, salty is picky and ridiculous, and he has a beak. Fairly convincing, right?

Oh you donā€™t have to worry about your credit cards being stolen by salty, just give them to me. I wonā€™t do anything bad, but I ainā€™t pinky promising.

Most Reactions

Latest posts