What are your thoughts on the Parrot Wizzard

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
So along with BirdTricks.com, I have also followed Parrot Wizzard on Youtube (Michael Sazhin). I have his book and his bird training perches. The perches were expensive but they are nice a steady and my girls love them so that's the most important thing. I find a lot of Michael's training information pretty helpful but a lot of things I already like positive reinforcement. I guess after 18 years of living with birds I picked a few things. I am by no means an expert. I am a novice at best and trust me I am still learning.

There are only two things I don't necessarily agree with. I don't believe in withholding food from my girls. I mean I put it out in the morning and leave it out the whole day. True when they get up the next morning, their food is mostly eaten, but I don't take it away. When I do training I do it before I give them their food. That's one thing I learned from both Parrot Wizzard and Bird Tricks. But a side note, the only time I may take food away is sometimes with fresh fruits in the hot weather. I may take them away after a few hours if I am concerned about bugs.

Another thing is that I don't think it is horrible for one to clip wings. Now my Sunny is flighted and a very good flyer when she chooses to do so. However, Nikki is a wing amputee so she can't fly (she could fly before she developed the tumor on her wing). I was a little sad for Nikki when Michael mentioned that birds were designed to fly LOL! I know what he meant, but you know what I am getting at. In the early stages of their lives, they were both clipped birds.

What are your thoughts?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have never been a fan of Parrot Wizzard as sadly much of his written work was simply copied from others and of course, never /rarely referred their authorship of the work. In addition, never /rarely included the exclusion or warnings that existed in the original documents. It is also, not uncommon to find points of disagreement within the body of work, likely resulting from cutting and pasting other's work.

That is my opinion on the Wiz Kid.

Regarding your opinion on Wing Clipping. Understanding it its a Hot Button Topic. It is a subject that requires understanding of the physical and longterm health issues that are involved.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I have never been a fan of Parrot Wizzard as sadly much of his written work was simply copied from others and of course, never /rarely referred their authorship of the work. In addition, never /rarely included the exclusion or warnings that existed in the original documents. It is also, not uncommon to find points of disagreement within the body of work, likely resulting from cutting and pasting other's work.

That is my opinion on the Wiz Kid.

Regarding your opinion on Wing Clipping. Understanding it its a Hot Button Topic. It is a subject that requires understanding of the physical and longterm health issues that are involved.
Oh wow, I didn't know that he copied people's stuff? Dang.

My first parrot book that I read was by Mattie Sue Athen. I have read plenty of books and try to read and learn as much as I can.

With regard to the wing trimming. I think it depends on the situation of the bird and its health. I don't think it is a one size fits all type of thing. From his tone, it was like he was saying under no circumstance is it acceptable to clip a birds wings.

Bebe'smom

Mar 3, 2022
Minnesnowta (Minnesota)
Parrots
A 15 year old cockatiel
He is the wizard of nothing, he stole most of his ideas from birdtricks. And I am not fond of them either. I have looked at his YouTube channel and have cried. Look closely at his birds some of them are underweight and badly housed JMHO here. You do not house old world birds with new world birds. It a recipe for disaster for the new world birds because of dust from old world birds can cause major health issues air sack and lungs. Nope not a fan.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
ou do not house old world birds with new world birds. It a recipe for disaster for the new world birds because of dust from old world birds can cause major health issues air sack and lungs. Nope not a fan.

I am only aware of his three birds: Senagal Parrot, Cape Parrot and Blue and Gold Macaw? He has them all in one cage? I thought they all had separate cages

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Oh wow, I didn't know that he copied people's stuff? Dang.

My first parrot book that I read was by Mattie Sue Athen. I have read plenty of books and try to read and learn as much as I can.

With regard to the wing trimming. I think it depends on the situation of the bird and its health. I don't think it is a one size fits all type of thing. From his tone, it was like he was saying under no circumstance is it acceptable to clip a birds wings.
Clipping Wings first should only be handled by a Professionally trained individual as if a slip occurs, they are trained to Stop the Bleeding.
Second, IMHO, Parrots should only be clipped after they had first fully fledged as to assure the full development of their Heart, Air Sack, and Fliight Muscle development. Heart failure is a growing issue within the Companion Parrot World. I work solely with much older Amazons and have seen first hand, this long life species dying far too young from heart failure.
Third, If one is going to wing clip, at least assure that the correct feathers are clipped to assure that the Parrot can safely glide to the ground.

Bebe'smom

Mar 3, 2022
Minnesnowta (Minnesota)
Parrots
A 15 year old cockatiel
I am only aware of his three birds: Senagal Parrot, Cape Parrot and Blue and Gold Macaw? He has them all in one cage? I thought they all had separate cages
The Senegal parrot and cape parrot are old world birds, the Macaw is new world. They should never be housed in the same room because of the dust from old world birds. Just because they all have separate cages doesn't make them good companions.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
The Senegal parrot and cape parrot are old world birds, the Macaw is new world. They should never be housed in the same room because of the dust from old world birds. Just because they all have separate cages doesn't make them good companions.
They can be housed in a room together as long as you purchase a good Air Purifier.
I keep Old World and New World in the same room with the air purifier always running and they are fine.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
It’s actually really interesting, and it seems to be something specific to macaws but can affect all New World/Central-South American parrot species; Macaw Respiratory Hypersensitivity AKA Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome.

But basically - the powder down certain parrots produce, most especially ‘toos and ‘tiels, and interestingly enough greys - is very dangerous to New World (Central/South American) species of parrot. It can build up in their lungs/air sacs, and cause breathing difficulty as well as encourage atherosclerosis (the build up of plaque in the blood vessels and resultant constriction/hardening).

Bathing birds frequently, HEPA filters, and keeping their cage/shared areas very clean can prevent issues, and some birds/species are more susceptible than others. However, when you have a mixed-origin flock, its important to stay on top of their vet check ups and be sure your vet is aware of their housing situation.

Bebe'smom

Mar 3, 2022
Minnesnowta (Minnesota)
Parrots
A 15 year old cockatiel
Sorry that was not what I was taught. I volunteered in veterinarian clinic for several years. The clinic was divided cats dogs mammals on one side, avian on the other side. The avian area was sub divide by old world // new world species. Old world birds had super air purifying system in their area that was cleaned daily. There was huge heavy doors with weather strip type gaskets to keep air flow out of new world area. Even the waiting room were divide. Check for old world birds was done via computer by tech. The avian veterinarian was very implicit on keeping them separate.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
He loses me at withholding food. That's something I can't get past.
I didn't know he did that! How terrible!!

I've never recommended his videos or even thought of it, and I never will. I usually recommend BirdTricks, BirdNerdSophie, WarGamingParrot or ElleAndTheBirds.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Not a fan of either. As far as trick training, I do it for the bonding and communication benefits to Salty and I. The mental stimulation. We are like 100% in sync when it comes to that.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Yeah, no. I get bad vibes from him. I must admit, I love seeing videos of his flock, but his training methods are just...you know, especially withholding food from his birds. Basically forcing them to do what he wants.
He learns from Birdtricks. Not a fan of them either.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Yeah, no. I get bad vibes from him. I must admit, I love seeing videos of his flock, but his training methods are just...you know, especially withholding food from his birds. Basically forcing them to do what he wants.
He learns from Birdtricks. Not a fan of them either.

Can I ask why you are not a fan of BirdTricks. I can't say I am a huge fan of either of them but I get a couple of info from both of them. One thing I can say, the Parrot Wizzard makes good training perches. The girls love 'em. It cost me a pretty penny but hey it's their 18th birthday.
Not a fan of either. As far as trick training, I do it for the bonding and communication benefits to Salty and I. The mental stimulation. We are like 100% in sync when it comes to that.

Yeah, that's why I do it. My girls are elementary level. I just do it to spend time with them.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Can I ask why you are not a fan of BirdTricks. I can't say I am a huge fan of either of them but I get a couple of info from both of them. One thing I can say, the Parrot Wizzard makes good training perches. The girls love 'em. It cost me a pretty penny but hey it's their 18th birthday.

Yeah, that's why I do it. My girls are elementary level. I just do it to spend time with them.
Birdtricks uses the same training methods as PW does.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, many of the 'trainers' out there use (over use) withholding food, especially when they are filming or providing a training class, but rarely state that fact. Behavior Modification has a serious dark side and it is important to assure you look deeply into their methods prior using them.

Most Reactions