What bird is/was your heart bird?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
To explain a little what a ā€œheart birdā€ is, itā€™s basically the bird that you connect with on a very deep level, almost like your souls are/were connected I suppose. (If youā€™re a horse lover or are very much in the equestrian community, then itā€™s kinda like the term ā€˜heart horseā€™ lol)

For me, itā€™s Rico. I adored my budgies so much, donā€™t get me wrong, but I believe that Rico is my heart bird. He is literally my other half and a lot of the joy in my life. He is so cute, funny, and he can always make me laugh, even on the absolute worst days. And I believe he truly saved me from death. You probably get what I mean, but if you donā€™t, Iā€™m just gonna say I was severely depressed when I got him.

So, with that said, who is/was your heart bird? What were they like?

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
Waiting... waiting... I've never had a bird that really connected to me like that, but I suppose Elvis, since even when I had Niki, he was my favorite.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Waiting... waiting... I've never had a bird that really connected to me like that, but I suppose Elvis, since even when I had Niki, he was my favorite.
Iā€™m sure you will find your heart bird! It may take a while but Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find them! What was Elvis like?

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
Iā€™m sure you will find your heart bird! It may take a while but Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find them! What was Elvis like?
Elvis is smart. He's the kind of bird who'll understand what I mean and purposely do the opposite. He's not quite affectionate, but he'll stand on my finger to get millet and doesn't jump at my every move. When I was sick a while back, he wouldn't perch on the curtain loftily, but came down and actually played on the playstand I bought him for the very first time.

He's a troublemaker. Sometimes he forgets that he can fly and likes to walk around on the ground (supervised, obviously) with Olive. I'll pick up Olive and put her on the playstand, but he'll continue walking around for a while.

They get so jealous of each other. I don't have a lot of room, so the only way I can train them is right next to each other, and someone always tries to steal the millet. Usually Elvis.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
My LJ (Lemon Jade). Hard to explain why as no we didn't have a close bond, he only had eyes for his girlfriend, and no he was not super "tame".
He was my first budgie and there was just something about him, he was so sweet and precious. I know he trusted me because I could carry him cupped in my hands with minimal fuss.
20220905_090450.jpg

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I think that might have been my girl Nutmeg. God, I miss her.... but it's been 4 years since I lost her, and I think I can finally look back on the good times we shared without feeling sad/guilty/anything else along those lines.

She was my first (and so far only) caique, but I would LOVE to get another one sometime in the next few years, if I'm able. She was playful and I could go on and on with stories about all the random mischief she got up to EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Plus she was smart... and she LOVED hiking. So of course, I have to post a picture of her on a hike! (and if you've been on the forum longer than I have, I'm sure you've seen this pic countless times, but it's the only picture I have of her outside, and it's also my favorite one.)
jkdda.jpg

Out of my CURRENT birds, I'd say Lilla... just coz she's sweet, playful, and super bonded with me, and I couldn't imagine life without her. I'd be CRUSHED if I lost her, so I guess that could make her one of my heart birds.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Elvis is smart. He's the kind of bird who'll understand what I mean and purposely do the opposite. He's not quite affectionate, but he'll stand on my finger to get millet and doesn't jump at my every move. When I was sick a while back, he wouldn't perch on the curtain loftily, but came down and actually played on the playstand I bought him for the very first time.

He's a troublemaker. Sometimes he forgets that he can fly and likes to walk around on the ground (supervised, obviously) with Olive. I'll pick up Olive and put her on the playstand, but he'll continue walking around for a while.

They get so jealous of each other. I don't have a lot of room, so the only way I can train them is right next to each other, and someone always tries to steal the millet. Usually Elvis.
Elvis sounds like a cheeky little guy! He is definitely a true parrot, always getting into trouble and being a jealous little feather monster! Elvis sounds like a joy to be around, despite being a scientist of chaos haha

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
My LJ (Lemon Jade). Hard to explain why as no we didn't have a close bond, he only had eyes for his girlfriend, and no he was not super "tame".
He was my first budgie and there was just something about him, he was so sweet and precious. I know he trusted me because I could carry him cupped in my hands with minimal fuss.
View attachment 50469
He is adorable! He also sounds like a sweet little baby birb! What was his favorite thing to do? Did he have any unique quirks?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I think that might have been my girl Nutmeg. God, I miss her.... but it's been 4 years since I lost her, and I think I can finally look back on the good times we shared without feeling sad/guilty/anything else along those lines.

She was my first (and so far only) caique, but I would LOVE to get another one sometime in the next few years, if I'm able. She was playful and I could go on and on with stories about all the random mischief she got up to EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Plus she was smart... and she LOVED hiking. So of course, I have to post a picture of her on a hike! (and if you've been on the forum longer than I have, I'm sure you've seen this pic countless times, but it's the only picture I have of her outside, and it's also my favorite one.)
jkdda.jpg

Out of my CURRENT birds, I'd say Lilla... just coz she's sweet, playful, and super bonded with me, and I couldn't imagine life without her. I'd be CRUSHED if I lost her, so I guess that could make her one of my heart birds.
Aww nutmeg is adorable and I am so sorry you lost her! She looks so adorable, sweet, and mischievous as you described. I can definitely tell she was loved and taken care of well! If you donā€™t mind sharing, what was your absolute favorite memory with her? What was her favorite food/treat? Any unique quirks about her?

Lilla sounds like a good birb! A sweet and playful companion is always great to have! What species is Lilla? Favorite memory? Any quirks? Favorite food/treat?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Aww nutmeg is adorable and I am so sorry you lost her! She looks so adorable, sweet, and mischievous as you described. I can definitely tell she was loved and taken care of well! If you donā€™t mind sharing, what was your absolute favorite memory with her? What was her favorite food/treat? Any unique quirks about her?

Lilla sounds like a good birb! A sweet and playful companion is always great to have! What species is Lilla? Favorite memory? Any quirks? Favorite food/treat?
Thanks for asking because I LOVE talking about my birds :)

Ok so,
Nutmeg's favorite food was E V E R Y T H I N G. Although she especially liked millet and sunflower seeds and chicken eggs and oat groats and carrots and lettuce and bread and rice and cauliflower aaaaaaaand raspberries.

Plus she also liked bananas.

Uhhh Lilla is my senegal and she's almost 11. I think. I stopped keeping track tbh, lol. She's adorable, and she's curious and not skittish at ALL, and my budgies (I have 3) like to attack her tail. She could literally not care less.

I think her favorite foods are sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, and carrots. She DOES like millet, but she would rather have a lot of foods before millet.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Thanks for asking because I LOVE talking about my birds :)

Ok so,
Nutmeg's favorite food was E V E R Y T H I N G. Although she especially liked millet and sunflower seeds and chicken eggs and oat groats and carrots and lettuce and bread and rice and cauliflower aaaaaaaand raspberries.

Plus she also liked bananas.

Uhhh Lilla is my senegal and she's almost 11. I think. I stopped keeping track tbh, lol. She's adorable, and she's curious and not skittish at ALL, and my budgies (I have 3) like to attack her tail. She could literally not care less.

I think her favorite foods are sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, and carrots. She DOES like millet, but she would rather have a lot of foods before millet.
Ah, nutmeg had a taste for everything I see? She does have good taste though! Raspberries, bananas, carrots, lettuce, etc. are all really good! Has she ever jumped into your food or stolen any?

Holy! I never expected Lilla to be a Senegal! I honestly expected her to be either a sulfur crested cockatoo or a red bellied parrot! A bird that isnā€™t skittish? No way sheā€™s real! More proof birds are government drones šŸ’ŖšŸ˜¤šŸ’Æ
She also has good taste in treats!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Ah, nutmeg had a taste for everything I see? She does have good taste though! Raspberries, bananas, carrots, lettuce, etc. are all really good! Has she ever jumped into your food or stolen any?

Holy! I never expected Lilla to be a Senegal! I honestly expected her to be either a sulfur crested cockatoo or a red bellied parrot! A bird that isnā€™t skittish? No way sheā€™s real! More proof birds are government drones šŸ’ŖšŸ˜¤šŸ’Æ
She also has good taste in treats!
I know, right? She's INSANE. I refuse to believe she's a senegal. That's why I generally don't give advice to sennie owners, since their birds are always SO different from mine.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
He is adorable! He also sounds like a sweet little baby birb! What was his favorite thing to do? Did he have any unique quirks?
He was pretty flock oriented, loved hanging out with his girlfriend and the other budgies. I am not sure about quirks, he was a pretty chill easy going guy.

angels123

Oct 18, 2014
Media
toledo oh
Parrots
crimson bellied conure 3 yrs old
black capped conure 4 months old
What is/was your canary like? Favorite thing to do?
He's just always cheerful. I can feel like I have weight of the world on my shoulders and it's like he knows I need cheering up and he sings his little heart out. He's just a cheerful guy.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I know, right? She's INSANE. I refuse to believe she's a senegal. That's why I generally don't give advice to sennie owners, since their birds are always SO different from mine.
I feel the same about Rico! Heā€™s like the opposite of your average tiel! But my god! A bird that isnā€™t really jumpy at all? Thatā€™s like 1 in 5,000,000! Itā€™s so rare! Lilla sounds like a chaos potato tbh!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
He was pretty flock oriented, loved hanging out with his girlfriend and the other budgies. I am not sure about quirks, he was a pretty chill easy going guy.
Aww he sounded sweet. But a chill budgie? Never heard of such a thing! Haha

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
He's just always cheerful. I can feel like I have weight of the world on my shoulders and it's like he knows I need cheering up and he sings his little heart out. He's just a cheerful guy.
Aww he sounds very lovely! Canaries are rather clever little birdies! And they can sense your emotions and read you like a book! He can definitely sense when youā€™re feeling down and he knows that his beautiful song can cheer you up, so thatā€™s what he does. Birds are very sweet, pure, and innocent animals ā¤ļø

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
My heart bird was a little Chipping sparrow named Chip. Something happened and his mom didn't return to the nest outside our house. His siblings we found passed away but Chip was a little fighter. I brought him inside and did my best to care for him, never actually expecting him to make it. His eyes weren't opened so when they did he imprinted on me. He had no idea he was a bird; he would sit on the window sill watching wild birds outside like a little kid saying, "cool look at the birds!" but no recognition that they were actually his species! He shared breakfast (and any other meals he could) with me every day. He loved bagels, pasta, broccoli, and steak lol! Chip would sit on the bed while I folded laundry, perch on my knee or shoulder while we watched a movie, and basically be with me all the time no matter what I was doing. If he couldn't be, we were contact calling back and forth to stay in touch with each other! He was a fierce fly hunter; if we held him up to a fly on the window he would snatch it up with lightening speed. He was with my family during a very hard time that lasted over a month. I don't know how I would have made it through without him. When Chip passed, I felt like part of my heart died too. My family knew I was struggling and for Christmas that year my brother and sister-in-law gave me a sky blue opaline budgie who I named Humphrey Bogart. He helped heal my heart and was really the bird who turned me into a "bird person." The rest is history, lol!

Most Reactions