What birds can live with gcc

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I have a green cheek conure and I want to get another bird, but Iā€™m unsure about which one. I would love a bird whoā€™s bites don't hurt that bad cause my gccā€™s bites are sooooo painful and preferably a different species but id be happy to hear about all the possible parrots that can be housed with my gcc. The birds will be in seperate cages but in the same room.
Note: I know ALL parrot bites hurt but birds with smaller beaks like cockatiels or budgies bites donā€™t hurt so Iā€™m wondering if there are other birds similar in that way that can live with my gcc.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Cockatiels are a good choice with GCCs, I had that combination a few years back before I sadly lost my GCC at the time to pancreatitis. They do require separate housing as you're doing, and of course there is never any guarantee that any combination of birds will necessarily get along, but cockatiels are a pretty good "all rounder" when considering a sidekick for a GCC. Mine were not the very best of friends, and they'd very occasionally take a swipe at each other, but overall they got on about as well as two completely different birds from opposite sides of the planet can. Most important point is that YOU want another bird for yourself, that way you're more prepared to deal with any eventualities that may come along if by chance they do decide they really don't like each other!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
LaManuka nailed it, in this regard - only get a new or additional parrot if YOU want one. Not to get your existing parrot 'friend', because its like 1 out of 3 that the new addition will get along famously with your existing flock and with you!

Regarding species, overlooked today are the Brotogeris group of parrots, known as BeeBee parrots, canary winged parrot (or parakeet) and the other members. In the 1900's (like 1960's or so) these were the most popular parrot in the US, much like GCC are today. I had one 10 years ago. They are still available these days, you might need to search a bit but they are around. Cons: Big bird in a tiny body syndrome; their natural contact call (like a lot of small birds) can be annoying, if not trained out of them; they can be very curious which combined with the BB syndrome gets them into Trubble! Essentially a green parrot with flashes of yellow, red or white depending on the specific species. Pros: Meet your desire for a beak which can't draw blood; They are known in the wild for being one of the species that actually seeks out human companionship, they are usually easy to tame, accept multiple people as "their" person, playfull, curious (see above Con:), Most can be taught to whistle complex melodies - mine did Beethovan's 9th and the Star Wars theme. Mine was very snuggly, liking to snuggle into my hand and get scritchies. We had Maxie for 9 years and I was terribly sad when he passed away. They have a 30ish year life expectancy.

Also known as Pocket Parrots, BeeBee parrots or parakeets, I am not quite sure why they fell out of favor, likely due to lack of breeder interest which reflects demand in aviculture, or other factors. Still available from certian breeders or at some parrot only petshops and larger multi-species ones (NOT the big chains though). I'd recommend doing some research on them.

Brotogeris is a good search term. I had Brotogeris Chiriri .

The Affectionate Canary Wing Parrot

Our Maxie, RIP

Maxie parrot.jpg

Last edited:
OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Cockatiels are a good choice with GCCs, I had that combination a few years back before I sadly lost my GCC at the time to pancreatitis. They do require separate housing as you're doing, and of course there is never any guarantee that any combination of birds will necessarily get along, but cockatiels are a pretty good "all rounder" when considering a sidekick for a GCC. Mine were not the very best of friends, and they'd very occasionally take a swipe at each other, but overall they got on about as well as two completely different birds from opposite sides of the planet can. Most important point is that YOU want another bird for yourself, that way you're more prepared to deal with any eventualities that may come along if by chance they do decide they really don't like each other!
Thank you so much. Yes I really want another bird. I used to have a cockatiel and I just love them so Iā€™m so glad to hear they can get along!!

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
LaManuka nailed it, in this regard - only get a new or additional parrot if YOU want one. Not to get your existing parrot 'friend', because its like 1 out of 3 that the new addition will get along famously with your existing flock and with you!

Regarding species, overlooked today are the Brotogeris group of parrots, known as BeeBee parrots, canary winged parrot (or parakeet) and the other members. In the 1900's (like 1960's or so) these were the most popular parrot in the US, much like GCC are today. I had one 10 years ago. They are still available these days, you might need to search a bit but they are around. Cons: Big bird in a tiny body syndrome; their natural contact call (like a lot of small birds) can be annoying, if not trained out of them; they can be very curious which combined with the BB syndrome gets them into Trubble! Essentially a green parrot with flashes of yellow, red or white depending on the specific species. Pros: Meet your desire for a beak which can't draw blood; They are known in the wild for being one of the species that actually seeks out human companionship, they are usually easy to tame, accept multiple people as "their" person, playfull, curious (see above Con:), Most can be taught to whistle complex melodies - mine did Beethovan's 9th and the Star Wars theme. Mine was very snuggly, liking to snuggle into my hand and get scritchies. We had Maxie for 9 years and I was terribly sad when he passed away. They have a 30ish year life expectancy.

Also known as Pocket Parrots, BeeBee parrots or parakeets, I am not quite sure why they fell out of favor, likely due to lack of breeder interest which reflects demand in aviculture, or other factors. Still available from certian breeders or at some parrot only petshops and larger multi-species ones (NOT the big chains though). I'd recommend doing some research on them.

Brotogeris is a good search term. I had Brotogeris Chiriri .

The Affectionate Canary Wing Parrot

Our Maxie, RIP

View attachment 58114
Omg I have never heard of this type of parrot. They sound sooooo cool. Iā€™ll definitely see if there are any in my area. Thank you!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts