What birds will live happily with Green cheek Conures?

Alig8torByte

May 25, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple conure
Iā€™m about to move away from my old home and my parents, With this new move he will have far less time out of the cage. Iā€™m worried that all the time caged will bore him and I want to buy him a companion to keep him happy, he has been with two other birds before, both cockatiels and both he seemed to live quite happily with but both sadly passed away (seizure and egg bound). I would love to get him another cockatiel buddy but the dander was terrible for my allergies, does anyone know any birds that would live happily with a conure that isnā€™t any louder than one? Or any tips on how to deal with cockatiel dander? I would get another conure but Iā€™m worried they would fight or breed and I donā€™t want either of that.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
To answer the question: another green cheek would be the best option
However, there is never any guarantee two birds will get along. It's strongly advised to NOT get a second bird with the sole purpose of it being a companion to an existing bird. There is a good chance you will end up with two birds that do not get along and both don't have as much time out of the cage as you'd like.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum! Would love to see pictures of your gcc.

Personally I like having multiple birds, but not everyone has the same experience with that.

So you should only get a second if you want a second. I think a green cheek would be best. I would try for the same sex as you have. You can order DNA online to see yours I like Animal diagnostic.

You should not expect them to share a Cage at first or maybe ever even if they make friends they may not like sharing a cage. All of mine have separate cages but are great out together.

Its also great to get them foraging to help keep them busy. But its a learned skill and you need to go slow and easy at first. And do just for fun and treats. If they get really great at it after awhile yiu can start having them foraging fir their diet

OP
Alig8torByte

Alig8torByte

May 25, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple conure
To answer the question: another green cheek would be the best option
However, there is never any guarantee two birds will get along. It's strongly advised to NOT get a second bird with the sole purpose of it being a companion to an existing bird. There is a good chance you will end up with two birds that do not get along and both don't have as much time out of the cage as you'd like.
He has grown up with companions and he seemed quite content preening my cockatiels for hours on end but Iā€™m worried that my green cheek would fight with another male as unfortunately he seems to think Iā€™m his girlfriend and bites anyone who comes near me. Or on the other hand, Im now terrified of the prospect of a parrot becoming egg bound and dying so I would hate to get a female and they breed. I seem to be backed into a corner with this.

OP
Alig8torByte

Alig8torByte

May 25, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple conure
Welcome to the forum! Would love to see pictures of your gcc.

Personally I like having multiple birds, but not everyone has the same experience with that.

So you should only get a second if you want a second. I think a green cheek would be best. I would try for the same sex as you have. You can order DNA online to see yours I like Animal diagnostic.

You should not expect them to share a Cage at first or maybe ever even if they make friends they may not like sharing a cage. All of mine have separate cages but are great out together.

Its also great to get them foraging to help keep them busy. But its a learned skill and you need to go slow and easy at first. And do just for fun and treats. If they get really great at it after awhile yiu can start having them foraging fir their diet
Thank you so much, It wasnā€™t until very recently that I unfortunately lost my second parrot to her becoming egg bound without my knowing, so Iā€™m used to having more than one and so is my conure Boo.

Iā€™m worried that if I get another male they might fight , Boo is quite a little nightmare whenever anyone touches me (he literally flies directly at your throat itā€™s terrifying) and Iā€™m worried he would become territorial. With my female cockatiels before, he still got a little jealous when I was showing them affection but it was more of a (squeeze myself inbetween to get all the love) rather than a (get away from them before I bite you) type of jealousy. I think a female might be the best choice but Iā€™m terrified of them becoming egg bound as well. I still miss my little girl so much and I would hate if that happened to any others.

Here he is (the little terror in all his adorable glory)
48F68342-5468-4DEC-8C85-6DA7BB23DB3D.jpeg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Thank you so much, It wasnā€™t until very recently that I unfortunately lost my second parrot to her becoming egg bound without my knowing, so Iā€™m used to having more than one and so is my conure Boo.

Iā€™m worried that if I get another male they might fight , Boo is quite a little nightmare whenever anyone touches me (he literally flies directly at your throat itā€™s terrifying) and Iā€™m worried he would become territorial. With my female cockatiels before, he still got a little jealous when I was showing them affection but it was more of a (squeeze myself inbetween to get all the love) rather than a (get away from them before I bite you) type of jealousy. I think a female might be the best choice but Iā€™m terrified of them becoming egg bound as well. I still miss my little girl so much and I would hate if that happened to any others.

Here he is (the little terror in all his adorable glory)
View attachment 40297
Just came here to say he is SO cute!!!! šŸ˜

Most Reactions

Latest posts