What came first?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
In order to answer that age old question, What came first, the chicken or the egg?? I ordered one of each from off the internet, I'll let you know.

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Oh yeah, you can order eggs online. We've gotten both chicken and turkey eggs on line.You can even get 3 day old chicks through the mail. Now days i just pick them up out of the yard.

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Pretty simple really, they feed them until they turn into chickens,LOL. Then it's up to you.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I use to raise heritage breed chickens and made good money shipping eggs all over the us. I made about 12.50 a dozen after shipping. It always blow my mind how happy people where to pay $25 for a dozen eggs that only half would hatch out!

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I've had better luck than that. (50% hatching) Our latest venture is raising wild turkeys. I bought 2 dozen eggs, 1 broke,2 infertile, and 17 hatched,1 died. i now have 16 Osceola turkeys that are about 16 wks old. The chicken eggs i've bought online seem to hatch about as good as the ones from my own coop. Of course day 1 eggs are hard to tell if they're fertile, so you'll have a few that aren't.

Last edited:

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
On ebay, you can buy peacock eggs, quail eggs, and many other eggs for hatching. Richard...you are a funny guy! You usually put a smile on my face. Thanks!

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Your doing great with your hatch rate! I use to get about 75% avg. with the eggs I ship. We told most people to plan on 50% because you never know with the post office.

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I think part of our success is using the broody bantam hens, better than the incubator. Kind of funny to watch them when they're hatching turkey eggs. After a couple of weeks the poults are as large as the hens,LOL.

Most Reactions