What color is best for a cage? what is your favorite color?

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
Im debating on getting either solid white or the blue.
Right now I have two black cages and one double stack that is grey.
I dont like either color.And I dont like the double stack at all but will be forced to use it till I can get the new cages(some time this summer).
I love White cages but the blue powder coat has me intrigued.Does it make the cage look dark? Could I see the birds?

What is your favorite cage color and why? I think its usually optional to get white, black,platinum, blue, green and brass(sandstone).Ive seen charcoal and ruby red too.

I want to get two identical cages that I can put side by side for the conures.

Last edited:

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I would guess it is partly a matter of personal choice and going with your own decor. I personally like simple, black, white or a neutral.
My conure cage is a bronze color. It's a Kings Cage and i'm not sure what they called the bronze looking powder coat, but anyhow, it is dark and it doesn't impair my ability to see the bird.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I have four emerald green cages. They are beautiful and blend in with all my houseplants. They have held up extraordinarily well (even with vigorous cleaning), and at ten years old, they still look brand new. BUT, they show dust/dander. They absolutely must be wiped full down every day to look their best.

I have two other white cages, and those are super easy to keep looking nice. So, while I love the darker colors, I think I might prefer the colors that don't show every bit of dust. Between morning and night, it looks like a week of household dust has collected on the darker cages.

Good luck with your choice.

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
I have one pewter and 1 that is a burgandy color...but I prefer the pewter ones...I would love to get a colored cage but if you change your decor or move they might not look good anymore

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I like my parents birds cages- the old dome style solid stainless with wide spaced bars. Unfortunately, no one makes those kinds of cages anymore (they got them with their birds 40 years ago). I only ever see the powder coated with tightly spaced bars now. I'm not a fan looks-wise, but I think white is the best color option with what's available (I personally prefer lighter colors in my home). Kiwis cage is black, and we can see him just fine (and I assume he can see us just fine), but it stands out like a sore thumb in our otherwise light-colored living room. I guess a black cage might look better in a darker-interior home though. I would probably stay away from fancy colors, as mentioned, since if you move/buy new furniture ect...the cage will no longer look like it matches. A white, black or tan cage (neutral colored) will look decent with just about everything.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I have black and white cages, both I like for different reasons.
I like the black, but shows the dirt and dander more.

I like the white cause it looks nice, and doesn't show the dander as much.

just go with what u like.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I prefer light colors such as white, gray or sand because the dirty stuff is easier to find when cleaning the cage. I think those colors are neutral and would fit with any decor.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really like white or the brass powder coat, I will advise against the blue our eclectus cage is blue and they are messy eaters and everything the put in there water and splash around shows up. Any dark cage is like this that's kinda why I got light or the brass as I dont like seeing that in one day the cage is dusty again:(. It's personally preference, but if I could make all my cages in the house one color it'd be the brass color.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
When I got Rosie's new cage I had wanted it in the dark "black" which was actually a really pretty dark gray vein color, but instead got the white vein. I hate stark white cages with a passion, especially when they are flat. if the cage wasn't white "vein" I wouldn't of bought it. but her cage ended up being a beautiful light silvery color that I love. Kenji's came with a pretty gunmetal gray cage, I love the color equally to Rosie's light silvery cage.

I wouldn't go with a bright colorful cage, if I was a bird I would think a neutral cage would be a better place to live.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
I like white or light grey, it seems to make it easier for me to see everything. Bella and Zora's cage is black and I don't really like it. It's 32" by 21", and I want to get them the Double HQ Flight Cage SO BAD!

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I like white or light grey, it seems to make it easier for me to see everything. Bella and Zora's cage is black and I don't really like it. It's 32" by 21", and I want to get them the Double HQ Flight Cage SO BAD!

When they go on sale you can get them for about $200 which isn't to bad. So look online at the suppliers and see when they go on sale of you really want one. They range from $150-$200 when we buy them from our supplier for the rescue. That's a pretty big cage for those two little guys;), it will be nice though.

OP
S

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
I dont like the double flight cage.I mean its perfect for birds but not real pretty.
I always get functional.I really want to get something pretty.
Its hard to find a pretty cage though.At least one with a decent size for small conures.
I like flat tops but they are ugly.I dont like dome tops but they are prettier.Its a real dilemma.

Mostly Ive been looking on the Cages4less site.They seem to have pretty good prices and a good selection.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well if you are shopping style then you probably aren't shopping for cagez:54:Lol. Anymore most cages are just boxs with a half circle on top or just a plain box. Not much else to look at that's why you make it look nice with tree branches on top and ropes hanging to play on and such:)

KevinT

Oct 11, 2012
We recently bought a dark red cage for our Grey. It goes well with our decor, and it contrasts nicely with Zeus's coloration.

As someone else mentioned, bird "dust" shows up more on this cage than on our previous sandstone colored cage.

I guess we'll just have to wipe it down more.

OP
S

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
I wonder why they cant make a nice functional cage look pretty.I liked the Marvelous cages,pretty and decent sized. but those are no longer in production.

I cant even begin to afford a SS cage.But they arent very pretty either.Just look like dog crates only bigger.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I like black Cages:) It looks nice and it fits in with my decor:) Codie loves it too. I dont really find it shows up anymore mess than what a white one does.

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
I try to go with color that matches my room. I have this one green cage, i have never been a fan of green but i actually did like the green color of this one. It is prevue sage green. Sierra Stayed in it for a week until i could purchase one for her and she didn't want to give it up to Sam. They both seemed to like that color. I also have a tan cage and a brown. I have owned a black Vein and a Silver Vein, i grew tired of both. Never been a fan of white. I guess it's a personal decision =)

Zazu4234

May 29, 2023
Parrots
Indian ringneck
I like my parents birds cages- the old dome style solid stainless with wide spaced bars. Unfortunately, no one makes those kinds of cages anymore (they got them with their birds 40 years ago). I only ever see the powder coated with tightly spaced bars now. I'm not a fan looks-wise, but I think white is the best color option with what's available (I personally prefer lighter colors in my home). Kiwis cage is black, and we can see him just fine (and I assume he can see us just fine), but it stands out like a sore thumb in our otherwise light-colored living room. I guess a black cage might look better in a darker-interior home though. I would probably stay away from fancy colors, as mentioned, since if you move/buy new furniture ect...the cage will no longer look like it matches. A white, black or tan cage (neutral colored) will look decent with just about everything.
Do you have a picture I would love to see an old style bird cage especially a dome one

Most Reactions

Latest posts