What conure to get

Queeniesmum

Apr 26, 2022
Parrots
Sun conure
Burrowing Parrot
Cockateil
My lovely sun conure Queenie died this week.

She was very clingy and cuddly she loved to go down my shirt and poke her head out while I did my work ( I work from home) she also loved music so much and would love to go to her bed and dance.

She also used to laugh alot. She was loud when she wanted to be and could be a little nippy sometimes with people she didn't love. But for the 4 people she loved she loved them so much.

So she's left a massive whole in my heart abd while I know nothing can replace her.

I am hoping to find another bird who loves cuddles and going down my shirt.

So my question is, is this just a sunconure thing or is there other conure type that does the same.

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure

She was very clingy and cuddly she loved to go down my shirt and poke her head out while I did my work ( I work from home) she also loved music so much and would love to go to her bed and dance.

She also used to laugh alot. She was loud when she wanted to be and could be a little nippy sometimes with people she didn't love. But for the 4 people she loved she loved them so much.

So she's left a massive whole in my heart abd while I know nothing can replace her.

So my question is, is this just a sunconure thing or is there other conure type that does the same.

I am sorry for your loss. I hope your sun lived a long full life. May I ask how old she is?

I have a Quaker Parrot and a Sun Conure. Both are 18. I never lived with any other conures except Sunny so I don't know what to recommend.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry for the loss of your Queenie. As you might know, each parrot is unique unto itself, even within a given species. Yes some generalizations can be made, but there is always the individual that goes against the archetype of that species, like a Grey that dosent talk or a Amazon that is calm and collected. Getting a new parrot, keep your mind and heart open to let the new one establish itself with out any preconceived notions.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for your loss of Queenie.
I have 2 Blue-throated Conures, a Sun, a Jenday and a Green Cheek.
Out of those, one Blue-throat is mean and bites every time we hold him and the other wants to cuddle all the time.

My Sun & Jenday are both older former breeders and were wild when they came to us. The Jenday loves my husband, but attacks me and the Sun will cuddle against my neck but is terrified of my husband. Neither my Jenday or my Sun scream.

My Green cheek wants to cuddle, but it always ends with a nip when he gets tired of it.

I had a Crimson-bellied Conure who passed away, and he always wanted to cuddle, didn't bite very often, and was a total sweetheart.
As wrench mentioned above, every bird is different and there can be wild variations within species.
I hope you are able to find a sweet cuddler to help fill the hole that Queenie left in your heart, and who will make their own space in your heart as well:)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have had a few Quakers who all fit the description you are asking for. Cuddly and loving attention and to be touched. Years ago, I had a cherry headed conure who was an absolute doll after having been wild caught and badly abused.

My neighbor had a Beebee parakeet that was also super cuddly and fun.

You might consider finding a rescue bird. I have had several very appreciative “used” birds. They were grateful, it seemed, to have a loving home.

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies and a Conure
Hoping to get a Macaw

im so sorry for your loss, I know how that feels. And to answer your question, Green Cheek Conures are known for being very cuddly and playful and all their mutations as well, so it's not just a sun conure thing :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I am so so so sorry... a terrible loss. And I'm glad you're here, among instant friends, who understand.
Stick with us. You'll be glad you did.
Oh, and... with equal parts humor and sincerity... don't get a Patagonian, especially not a male. Yeah, they're funny and fun, but... most agree (parronts and authorities alike) that they are bone-rattlingly loud, horribly demanding, and an all around domestic nightmare. YESSSSSSSS, I love mine, but... just sayin'.
Again, welcome!

Rb TALK.jpg

"Iz true!"

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

I am so sorry to hear about her passing:(

Most Reactions