What do you all use to clean your bathroom? Tub, tile, toilet, etc.?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I am so weird... but I'll confess.
I use human toiletries... safe, unscented soap for surfaces, toothpaste for tile, etc., baby shampoo for laundering towels.
On one hand, it's absolutely neurotic; on the other hand the doggone bird is 40 years old and going strong.
I'm going to run and hide now.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I use the old fashioned Comet powder for sink, tub etc. and regular toilet bowl cleaner for the toilet. I close the door to the bird room ( air purifier on 24/7) when I’m cleaning and my birds are never allowed in the bathroom so I guess I’ve never been too worried. I do not use anything really strong like Lime Away or something though. For the bird room, I use a homemade spray of mostly white vinegar and water. I do use Seventh Generation for laundry stain removal. I’m actually very sensitive to chemicals myself; they give me a migraine, especially artificial scents; so I always try to use things that are more natural with minimal or no fragrance. I also really like cleaners by Method. They work well but are all plant based. Not sure I would use them actually in the bird room but for bathroom and around the house I think they’re good.

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Denim cobalt linnie (neelu)
My sister has budgies and uses Mrs Meyers.

I use half vinegar half water, with grapefruit seed extract for anti bac.
I put clear coconut food extract in the glass cleaner, and natural lemon food extract in the multipurpose.
For bathroom scrub, I put half original dawn, half baking soda in a little tub and use that.
For wood floors, dr bronners unscented , diluted
Wood polish, I forget but I think it’s water and vinegar again but adding sesame oil with lemon juice.

my friend who used to own a cleaning company , is from ecuador (my Central American friends have the such great folk magic, they just know how to do things!) and she helped me develop these products bc she uses them around her aging parents, to avoid any toxicity.

They work like magic!
The glass spray doubles as a static cling spray, and smelly laundry spray, air freshener (vinegar kills odors), can kill mildew and mold.
The scrub can be left to soak into shower stains like henna, color conditioner, or even wall stains. doubles as a mild jewelry polish, laundry stain remover, just scrub it in with an old toothbrush - helps remove oil stains and more.
We’ve been using them for years, if we have the house professionally cleaned we ask them to use these. The cleaners love it because they aren’t bathing in harsh fumes.

Our house smells great and is sparkly clean, I never would have guessed these simple ingredients would work so well.

Maybe im weird and paranoid but I also am sensitive to even “healthy” normal cleaning products (headaches and sensory issues) in addition to being concerned for my birds.

I wanted a product that would not be dangerous even if Ingested or sprayed on my birds, (not that anyone would do this in purpose), since they are out and about so much. And like to peck around on the speckled granite counters. I think they think there are little seeds in it :) so even someday if a drop got left accidentally, it wouldn’t hurt them to step in it etc.

I also feel super good about cleaning cages with these…

I bought dark amber glass bottles with trigger nozzles on Amazon, and a dark amber plastic tub for the scrub.

I just liked the idea of it being darker glass as it’s protective and felt like a healthier choice, but I guess that’s up to the individual.

Last edited:

Most Reactions