What do you feed your birds?

FrancisMom

Nov 4, 2018
Greensboro, NC
Parrots
U2 - Francis "Francie"
Ugh, I've been struggling with this lately too. I switched Francis to RoudyBush pellets, but now his poop is too small and hard, not much liquid in it at all. So I'm trying to add some natural things to his diet. I've tried different vegetables and fruits, and tried beans/lentils. I've been keeping a list of what he likes and doesn't like so I'll remember.

He likes the oatmeal we give him every morning. He doesn't like most vegetables, but does like broccoli. He doesn't like most fruits, just oranges and apples. He doesn't like the beans/lentils, but I'll smash them up and mix them in with his oatmeal, which he'll eat sometimes. It's really a chore trying to get enough liquid into the boy! :white1:

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My budgies love leafy greens like romaine lettuce, Swiss shard, bok choy, Spinach,
They also will nibble all the veggies i offer, like bell pepper, broccoli, carrots, celery, cooked butternut squash, green beans ( fresh) , peas, corn, zucchini ect...
They have a seed mix for budgies always available. I've seen them eat my pellets, nutri berries, oven baked bites, and zooprem fruit,
They like apple, strawberry, cherry, raspberry, black berries, snd cranberries , banana and melon. And many others.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The bulk of my flock's diet is fresh veggies/fruits aka "chop" and Harrison's Adult Lifetime Course pellets. Supplemented by assorted treats as desired.

Chop is served on average 5 days per week. Pellets offered only in the absence of chop, never together. Treats normally given on chop "off" days to provide variety.

Baseline for chop is a variety of beans, sweet potato, yam, green peas, apple, banana, pear, 1 or 2 pieces of cut corn on the cob, whole grain spiral noodles. Other items such as blackeye peas, edamame in shell, pomegranate seeds, melon and seeds, carrot, seasonal items added as needed.

Treats include bits of almond, walnut, a few Cheerios, piece of whole grain bread with seeds, tiny chunk of low sodium string cheese weekly.

Plenty of helpful threads and advice within Parrot Foods, Recipe, and Diet forum:
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

OP
L

LloydTheBudgie

Jan 29, 2021
Parrots
Lloyd- Budgie
Oh! FancysMom,
for getting your bird get some some hydration I will often show him/her the food and then Ill bite it (or bite my own separate peace). And they will eat it right up. (this works really well for new foods.

Last edited:

Most Reactions