What do you guys do about poop..?

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
So, I have a conure. He's very cuddly. Only issue is.. he loves being with me wherever I am. His cage is in my bedroom and my room is really the only space he's in. since we have dogs and they basically freeroam all over the house except my room because its off limits to them now. So if im on my bed he wants to be on my bed. Im at my desk he'll want to be at my desk. He's about almost a year old and his wings were clipped when he came to me so flying is not an option for him right now but he is in the middle of his moult so hopefully he will be soon. he poops every 8 minutes or so so my question for you people is..

What do you guys do to protect your spaces from your birds poop? I love cuddling with him but the only thing I worry about is him doing his famous little backtrack then dumptruck right onto my bed.

Have any sugguestions?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
So, I have a conure. He's very cuddly. Only issue is.. he loves being with me wherever I am. His cage is in my bedroom and my room is really the only space he's in. since we have dogs and they basically freeroam all over the house except my room because its off limits to them now. So if im on my bed he wants to be on my bed. Im at my desk he'll want to be at my desk. He's about almost a year old and his wings were clipped when he came to me so flying is not an option for him right now but he is in the middle of his moult so hopefully he will be soon. he poops every 8 minutes or so so my question for you people is..

What do you guys do to protect your spaces from your birds poop? I love cuddling with him but the only thing I worry about is him doing his famous little backtrack then dumptruck right onto my bed.

Have any sugguestions?
I have a basket lined with newspaper for my Quaker to perch on. I carry this around and if he’s sitting on the basket handle then the poops go into the basket.

I have also trained him to go potty on paper which works great if he finds newspaper and not an important document. But if you teach your bird to potty on paper then any paper is eligible.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
I have a basket lined with newspaper for my Quaker to perch on. I carry this around and if he’s sitting on the basket handle then the poops go into the basket.

I have also trained him to go potty on paper which works great if he finds newspaper and not an important document. But if you teach your bird to potty on paper then any paper is eligible.
Ah, thanks thats very good advice! I was already thinking of trying to potty train him when he's able to fly so he can fly back to the cage. I think the basket is a great solution to digestive issues that I've heard about when people potty train their bird. Thanks again!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ah, thanks thats very good advice! I was already thinking of trying to potty train him when he's able to fly so he can fly back to the cage. I think the basket is a great solution to digestive issues that I've heard about when people potty train their bird. Thanks again!
57E62758-72FC-4531-910E-AA213B2B5390.jpeg

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
That looks similar but I probably got the basket at st Vincent de Paul thrift store.
Oh okay. I'm already ordering this one It should work the same. Thank you for your helpful reccomendations!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
And for a brief comedy break...

I have been a very inadequate manager of poop, noise, behavior in general. Poop? What poop? I don't see any poop.

This is the sad story of how the Rickeybird was toilet-trained for about an hour, back around 1990. I think he was maybe 6. I was reading Bird Talk, by then, and decided that I would try out some of the techniques. So I began taking the Rbird over a paper every 10 minutes or so and holding him there until he pooped, at which time I said "Boo-boo!" in a happy voice. Soon, I could take him to the paper say Boo-boo and he'd poop. As hoped for, as the day wore on, HE began to say Boo-boo and then poop when I held him over the target. He and I were both delighted, and we practiced and practiced. Sadly, it wasn't even an hour before he began saying Boo-boo every 30 seconds and then flying away when I headed for the paper. I accepted defeat graciously. To this day, he will sometimes yell Boo-boo ten or fifteen times within a minute or so, usually pooping wherever he happens to be. *sigh*

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have some toys hanging from the handle, stuff like that. I thought if it was working well for you and your bird the basket might have “evolved” a bit.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
And for a brief comedy break...

I have been a very inadequate manager of poop, noise, behavior in general. Poop? What poop? I don't see any poop.

This is the sad story of how the Rickeybird was toilet-trained for about an hour, back around 1990. I think he was maybe 6. I was reading Bird Talk, by then, and decided that I would try out some of the techniques. So I began taking the Rbird over a paper every 10 minutes or so and holding him there until he pooped, at which time I said "Boo-boo!" in a happy voice. Soon, I could take him to the paper say Boo-boo and he'd poop. As hoped for, as the day wore on, HE began to say Boo-boo and then poop when I held him over the target. He and I were both delighted, and we practiced and practiced. Sadly, it wasn't even an hour before he began saying Boo-boo every 30 seconds and then flying away when I headed for the paper. I accepted defeat graciously. To this day, he will sometimes yell Boo-boo ten or fifteen times within a minute or so, usually pooping wherever he happens to be. *sigh*

Sooo RIckey Bird !!

Most Reactions

Latest posts