What does this sound mean? It’s killing my ears :(

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hello all! I’m back again with Kure, it’s been a little over a month now and she is now 1 year old 🎂! I was curious if you guys could identify a sound she is making for me. It is extremely loud and makes my ears hurt when she does it near me so I am hoping to prevent/discourage it. Today she was making it when 1. Nothing was happening we were just standing on the bathroom and 2. when the water was running or when I was splashing in it (it was bath time). She has made it a few other times but I wasn’t able to pinpoint what she was reacting to. If any of you know why she is making this noise and could explain what it means I would forever be in your debt, my ears are still ringing as I write this 😵‍💫. (I attached a video so you guys can hear it)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I dunno, sounds sweeter than the grrrs and grunts I get......

Yeah when it's in your ear it's like wtf but....I dunno woundn't mind that in my flock.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I dunno, sounds sweeter than the grrrs and grunts I get......

Yeah when it's in your ear it's like wtf but....I dunno woundn't mind that in my flock.
Heh yeah it is sweet in tone, unfortunately not in volume. Honestly it reminds me a bit of a fire alarm when she does a bunch in a row. 😂

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello all! I’m back again with Kure, it’s been a little over a month now and she is now 1 year old 🎂! I was curious if you guys could identify a sound she is making for me. It is extremely loud and makes my ears hurt when she does it near me so I am hoping to prevent/discourage it. Today she was making it when 1. Nothing was happening we were just standing on the bathroom and 2. when the water was running or when I was splashing in it (it was bath time). She has made it a few other times but I wasn’t able to pinpoint what she was reacting to. If any of you know why she is making this noise and could explain what it means I would forever be in your debt, my ears are still ringing as I write this 😵‍💫. (I attached a video so you guys can hear it)
View attachment 56821
Different folks react to noises in different ways. I have a princess parrot called Peachie who makes a VERY loud contact call, a bit like a smoke alarm, which I think a lot of people would find very piercing and annoying but i actually love it cos she makes it most often when she's happy! On the other hand I have a cockatiel called Jem, who is also often very loud, but there's one call he makes that just grates on my nerves because, as can be the case with cockatiels, he gets it stuck in his brain and makes it over .... and over .... and over... and over .... you get the picture. I didn't teach it to him, I don't know where he picked it up, perhaps from a previous owner because he was a refugee I found in my back yard, and it's not even particularly loud but it's not a natural cockatiel sound so SOME genius must've taught it to him! But if there's one thing I know for sure, if I react to it in ANY way he'll take that as approval, or make some sort of a game out of it and make that sound all the more, so i don't give him any kind of "positive" reinforcement by reacting to it. He still does it, just nowhere near as much. So as difficult as it might be, perhaps try not to react AT ALL when Kure makes that sound, and make a big fuss over him and reward sounds that you DO like. You may never eliminate it, but over time he might make the undesirable sound a little less :)

Last edited:
OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Different folks react to noises in different ways. I have a princess parrot called Peachie who makes a VERY loud contact call, a bit like a smoke alarm, which I think a lot of people would find very piercing and annoying but i actually love it cos she makes it most often when she's happy! On the other hand I have a cockatiel called Jem, who is also often very loud, but there's one call he makes that just grates on my nerves because, as can be the case with cockatiels, he gets it stuck in his brain and makes it over .... and over .... and over... and over .... you get the picture. I didn't teach it to him, I don't know where he picked it up, perhaps from a previous owner because he was a refugee I found in my back yard, and it's not even particularly loud but it's not a natural cockatiel sound so SOME genius must've taught it to him! But if there's one thing I know for sure, if I react to it in ANY way he'll take that as approval, or make some sort of a game out of it and make that sound all the more, so i don't give him any kind of "positive" reinforcement by reacting to it. He still does it, just nowhere near as much. So as difficult as it might be, perhaps try not to react AT ALL when Kure makes that sound, and make a big fuss over him and reward sounds that you DO like. You may never eliminate it, but over time he might make the undesirable sound a little less :)
Thank you for the advice! I will try not to react to it, she is definitely into mimicking things so hopefully she’ll pick up something else instead, it just seems to be her sound of the week. We normally communicate through clicks which are much quieter.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Yeah, good input above.
Maybe a household squeaky noise?
And in any event, it's purely angelic compared to my Patagonian. Enjoy!
Ooh! Maybe! We do have some dog toys in the house. I’m honestly so glad that this is the only noise “issue” we are having. I was expecting screeching and constant noise when I first got Kure but she is normally so super quiet. I’m so grateful. (Fingers crossed that it lasts)

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
View attachment 56821
I believe this is a normal conure sound & nothing to be worried about. It is probably excitement as mentioned, unless she is mimicking a sound in your home like a smoke alarm chirping from low batteries. Some birds naturally makes some very loud and/or very high pitched calls. I have a Meyers who has a very loud, high pitched, ear piercing alarm & excited call she makes sometimes-esp. each dusk. It's normal. Hearing it in a bathroom will certainly sound even louder though due to the acoustics!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
View attachment 56821
That little sweet chirp is killing your ear... Really... It's so soft and sweet... Your lucky your birds not very loud

Newbe

Feb 7, 2024
Parrots
Two Green Cheek Conures, female and male
Buy ear plugs, one of my jendays can get very loud so I bought ear plugs and they work great. I don't let him chase me out of the room now so his noise isn't as bother some as it was. They are with me for 3 days now so we are both adjusting to each other...

Most Reactions

Latest posts