What food processor do you use for chopping pellets or in general?

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
Iā€™ve noticed that Sushi has been choking on her pellets. She has the Harrison pellets in fine and I think maybe I should crush them.
I have a sucky food processor that wonā€™t chop them and I was planning on buying a new one once I move.
Which one do you guys recommend ? And does it chop pellets up?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Iā€™ve noticed that Sushi has been choking on her pellets. She has the Harrison pellets in fine and I think maybe I should crush them.
I have a sucky food processor that wonā€™t chop them and I was planning on buying a new one once I move.
Which one do you guys recommend ? And does it chop pellets up?
Iā€™ve heard other people say Harrisonā€™s pellets are hard for their birds to eat too.
I might consider switching to a softer pellet if sheā€™s having that much trouble.

I use this:
nutribullet Personal Blender for Shakes, Smoothies, Food Prep, and Frozen Blending, 24 Ounces, 600 Watt, Gray, (NBR-0601) https://a.co/d/gzmoWxn

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
As an alternative to crushing the pellets you might try softening some by soaking them in water or unsweetened fruit juice for a short time. Put some pellets in a small glass (a shot glass works well) and add just enough liquid to moisten them. When they're soft enough you can offer some to your parrot from a small spoon or put them in her food dish. Dispose of any uneaten ones after a while before they have a chance to turn sour or get stale.

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
As an alternative to crushing the pellets you might try softening some by soaking them in water or unsweetened fruit juice for a short time. Put some pellets in a small glass (a shot glass works well) and add just enough liquid to moisten them. When they're soft enough you can offer some to your parrot from a small spoon or put them in her food dish. Dispose of any uneaten ones after a while before they have a chance to turn sour or get stale.
I tired this and both my birds didnā€™t eat the pellets! I donā€™t blamed them cause it did not look appealing. Maybe Iā€™ll try it with a fruit juice! What kind of juice have you tried it with?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Iā€™ve heard other people say Harrisonā€™s pellets are hard for their birds to eat too.
I might consider switching to a softer pellet if sheā€™s having that much trouble.

I use this:
nutribullet Personal Blender for Shakes, Smoothies, Food Prep, and Frozen Blending, 24 Ounces, 600 Watt, Gray, (NBR-0601) https://a.co/d/gzmoW
Have a very similar mini blender/chopper and I love it. It makes great chop but if I chop for too long it liquefies the chop way too much. It should easily be able to chop pellets. I use Harrison's in superfine grade. When I started using them I mixed them with Rocky's handfeeding formula and then weaned directly onto them. Each superfine pellet is the size of a hulled millet seed.
Moistening them slightly should soften them up enough so your bird can swallow them easier.
I bought Nutrisoft pellets for budgies and cockatiels but they were way too big and nowhere near as soft as I thought they'd be. At the time I hadn't gotten my personal chopper/blender yet but if I had but I would have tried using it to bust them into smaller bits before giving the entire bag of pellets away.

angels123

Oct 18, 2014
Media
toledo oh
Parrots
crimson bellied conure 3 yrs old
black capped conure 4 months old
I have an old Wolfgang puck food processor that works great for making chop

avalanche

Jun 5, 2023
Savannah, GA
Parrots
Cockatiel, Budgies, Ringneck
I use a food processor for the veggies, but I actually use a coffee bean grinder for the pellets. It becomes a fine powder and I mix it in. They love it that way.

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
I use a food processor for the veggies, but I actually use a coffee bean grinder for the pellets. It becomes a fine powder and I mix it in. They love it that way.
Omg thatā€™s so smart!

Most Reactions