What happened to my birds?

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
My mom came home for the first time and I put them in the cage for a while so we could organize everything. When I came back to let her feed them , they acted violently and bit to actually hurt , and me too which hasn’t happened. Then I studied their behavior and it’s a lot more aggressive and rapid. When they feed eachother and even preen. Does anyone have an answer please?!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm not sure your whole back story?
If these are still being hand fed, its difficult and stressful on them to switch feeders.

Burds are very sensitive to change in routine and new people.

Id need more information to provide a more tailored response

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Agreed with the above response. Birds bite for a variety of reasons. Reasons could be hormones, pin feathers, hunger, and the list can go on. I always try to remember that parrots are birds of prey. They can be very timid when it comes to new people. Both of my parrots will bite to warn me of something that they find is scary. Both of my parrots will also bite me when they are hungry, or want to go to bed. I think of my parrots as permanent 2-3 year olds.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just to correct our member kme3388, parrots are prey animals, not birds of prey, which are eagles, hawks, falcons etc. THey think and act like prey animals; flocking to give the group a better overall chance of survival, hide outward signs of illness (the sick ones are the first to become lunch) and lots of other things that ensure that the species goes on while the individual may not.

Yeah, we need more info on the day to day activities around your conures to give a better idea of perhaps why they are biting like that.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Just to correct our member kme3388, parrots are prey animals, not birds of prey, which are eagles, hawks, falcons etc. THey think and act like prey animals; flocking to give the group a better overall chance of survival, hide outward signs of illness (the sick ones are the first to become lunch) and lots of other things that ensure that the species goes on while the individual may not.

Yeah, we need more info on the day to day activities around your conures to give a better idea of perhaps why they are biting like that.
Yes, thank you. Me at 1am trying to find recipes for my parrots creates misspellings 🤦‍♀️

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My mom came home for the first time and I put them in the cage for a while so we could organize everything. When I came back to let her feed them , they acted violently and bit to actually hurt , and me too which hasn’t happened. Then I studied their behavior and it’s a lot more aggressive and rapid. When they feed eachother and even preen. Does anyone have an answer please?!
I just wanted to double check something. Had your birds ever met your Mom before?
I also read your post to mean that the birds were put in their cage for awhile when she arrived, then they tried to bite her when she tried to feed them.
If so, they may well have associated her with them being put in their cage. If they are usually out all day, this could feel like a punishment.

If you want your Mom to be able to interact with them, it may help to save their favourite treat and only have her offer them. It may take some time.

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
I just wanted to double check something. Had your birds ever met your Mom before?
I also read your post to mean that the birds were put in their cage for awhile when she arrived, then they tried to bite her when she tried to feed them.
If so, they may well have associated her with them being put in their cage. If they are usually out all day, this could feel like a punishment.

If you want your Mom to be able to interact with them, it may help to save their favourite treat and only have her offer them. It may take some time.
Thanks! They just met her and were a little cranky that day but now they love her! More then me sadly 😅

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!

It was just for a day, not sure why though… but they’re completely fine , maybe they were just in a petty mood? They got used to her very quickly and now like her more then me

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!

Agreed with the above response. Birds bite for a variety of reasons. Reasons could be hormones, pin feathers, hunger, and the list can go on. I always try to remember that parrots are birds of prey. They can be very timid when it comes to new people. Both of my parrots will bite to warn me of something that they find is scary. Both of my parrots will also bite me when they are hungry, or want to go to bed. I think of my parrots as permanent 2-3 year olds.
If they want something , parrots will let you know immediately!! It’s adorable but a pain when they start screaming 😭. On the plus side , they’re fine now! They where maybe upset then. They love her more then me :(

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Your welcome! It's such a great article, it covers so much

Reactions: Raz
OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Your welcome! It's such a great article, it covers so much
It really is, I’m reading it right now. It’s so hard to find articles for my parrot that is actually accurate

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!

Most Reactions

Latest posts