What humidifier

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi
I have been thinking on maybe getting a humidifier for the house.
Any thoughts on heated or cool and what make do you all use please
is it better to run them at night/day or 24 hour. Thanks

Attachments

• 3A967C6E-0D5D-4D41-84F2-5227D9811667.jpeg
    3A967C6E-0D5D-4D41-84F2-5227D9811667.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 61

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Note sure where in this World you are located as that greatly effects recommendations.

The question regarding humidifiers starts first knowing what in common in your home or apartment, plus what type of heating system you have. Look at purchasing a digital temperature /humidity unit and keep track of what you are faced with.

In the Great White North, we simply added a unit to our forced air furnace with a digital control unit and replace the filter at the start of the Heating Season. But, we are faced with truly dry Winters and humid Summers.

When we used a portable unit, we used a tap-water temperature unit because adding humidity can be a 24 hour a day process when used in a heater home as there is always a battle between the dry air entering and the attempt to add moisture to the air.

The goal should be to maintain a constance humidity level for your entire living space.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Note sure where in this World you are located as that greatly effects recommendations.

The question regarding humidifiers starts first knowing what in common in your home or apartment, plus what type of heating system you have. Look at purchasing a digital temperature /humidity unit and keep track of what you are faced with.

In the Great White North, we simply added a unit to our forced air furnace with a digital control unit and replace the filter at the start of the Heating Season. But, we are faced with truly dry Winters and humid Summers.

When we used a portable unit, we used a tap-water temperature unit because adding humidity can be a 24 hour a day process when used in a heater home as there is always a battle between the dry air entering and the attempt to add moisture to the air.

The goal should be to maintain a constance humidity level for your entire living space.
Thank you Sailboat. We are in UK and yesterday outdoors was 80% humidity according to the weather man. So we are heated with radiators. I think it may have been drier indoors.
We took our boy outside to enjoy the sun but later that night he sneezed a couple of times and cleared his sinus. I noticed this also when we first brought him home. So I was just thinking maybe it was the lack of humidity indoors. I would have to get a tap filled tank one. To add complications my husband just asked should we have a purifier instead lol !
Thank you for your advice above x

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you Sailboat. We are in UK and yesterday outdoors was 80% humidity according to the weather man. So we are heated with radiators. I think it may have been drier indoors.
We took our boy outside to enjoy the sun but later that night he sneezed a couple of times and cleared his sinus. I noticed this also when we first brought him home. So I was just thinking maybe it was the lack of humidity indoors. I would have to get a tap filled tank one. To add complications my husband just asked should we have a purifier instead lol !
Thank you for your advice above x

Because of your general location, your Humidity will be higher then where we are location because of the inflow of weather systems from the Gulf Stream. You will want to obtain a digital Temperature /Humidity device. They are not overly expensive, commonly small in size, so consider getting one.

Your specific heating system has a minimum effect of your Homes Humidity Level. It is important to understand that what we are watching is the Relative Humidity which is effected by Temperature. Point being, during Winter months, your indoor reading will be lower than your outdoor reading with a target being in the mid-forties to low fifties. Humidity levels in the Summer months are of little concern as you will commonly be above 50 percent.

Air purifiers are commonly needed when your observed dust build-up within your home is high. Every home has some level of dust. Most people find that 'some' Parrots add greatly to the dust level in their home. Your Parrot is not known to add greatly to the general dust level of a home. At most, you may want to consider an air filtering system for your home, which is little more than a standard filter mounted on a cabinet (box) with a fan that pulls the are from the filter.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Because of your general location, your Humidity will be higher then where we are location because of the inflow of weather systems from the Gulf Stream. You will want to obtain a digital Temperature /Humidity device. They are not overly expensive, commonly small in size, so consider getting one.

Your specific heating system has a minimum effect of your Homes Humidity Level. It is important to understand that what we are watching is the Relative Humidity which is effected by Temperature. Point being, during Winter months, your indoor reading will be lower than your outdoor reading with a target being in the mid-forties to low fifties. Humidity levels in the Summer months are of little concern as you will commonly be above 50 percent.

Air purifiers are commonly needed when your observed dust build-up within your home is high. Every home has some level of dust. Most people find that 'some' Parrots add greatly to the dust level in their home. Your Parrot is not known to add greatly to the general dust level of a home. At most, you may want to consider an air filtering system for your home, which is little more than a standard filter mounted on a cabinet (box) with a fan that pulls the are from the filter.
Thank you for your great informative reply. very much appreciated x

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My climate is also very dry in the winter and very humid in the summer. It’s hard to keep plants happy in my apartment much less birds. Do you find the humidity levels influence your eclectus’s plumage a lot?

Most Reactions