Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
this thread is just about my bird diet and what I currently feed them, I'll update as needed. On an average day I feed my flock:

Morning(served around 8-9am): Fresh food (veggies, egg, sprouts, etc)

Dry food is available all day after eating veggies.

My chop varies from time to time and I use slightly different ingredients every time, but the veggies/fresh foods that they enjoy include:

Beetroot
Broccoli
Brussel sprouts
Carrot
Cucumber
Egg
Green beans
Herbs
Kale
Lettuce(Romaine or butter lettuce)
Peppers(any kind)
Snap peas
Spinach
Sprouts/cooked spouting mix(Yes, sometimes I cook their sprouting mix for 10min(that's how long the packet said)
Sweet corn
Sweet potato
Swiss chard
+many others!

Pellet brands that I fed them/fed in the past:

Roudybush
Nature's nest complete/softgrain
Avi-plus(this is by far my least favourite as the first ingredients are soy, veggie oils, by-products)

Current seed mix:

Parrotainment Galah mix

Current DIY dry mix as of 24 April 2022:

Sometimes I feed them "Softfood" (I don't know if it's available in other countries), but only occasionally since it contains a lot of veggie fats, so it's only an occasional treat

Feel free to share your birds' diet, tricks and tips here ;)

Last edited:

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
thats a lot of food your birds are very healthy having lots of different food to your birds diet is very good

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Might as well do my diet...

Morning (options):
1. Veggie chop
2. Egg food (for molting)
3. Organic pasta with veggies
4. Shredded veggie
5. Seeds (always got with the meal, not a meal on it's own)

Afternoon/Evening:
Same

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Cool! I guess other people can also share their diet routines/what they feed their birds, I think it would make a very interesting thread ;)

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
This is how the softfood looks

1645625334337.png

It's not the best, I know, but I accidentally ordered it instead of something else once and I didn't just want to throw it away. This would be great for breeding bird(edit: birds) though and might even be useful to moulting bird because of the vitamins and stuff or ill birds to help them gain some weight.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
This is how the softfood looks

View attachment 36195
It's not the best, I know, but I accidentally ordered it instead of something else once and I didn't just want to throw it away. This would be great for breeding bird though and might even be useful to moulting bird or ill birds to help them gain some weight.
I feed eggfood, and I really don't get why people don't make it themselves. I mean, sure, you can buy it in bulk, but it will be less fresh, and you won't be ably to monitor exactly what goes into it.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I feed my QP and GCC chop only in the morning, pellets, seed, birdie bread, and maybe a fresh veggie like bell pepper or greens. The cockatiels get half chop, half seed in the morning. The mated pair gets chop and birdie bread in the evening and the old man gets chop, seed and birdie bread. The budgies get the first half of the morning and evening meal that's seed and pellets, then when they're done eating that I give them chop, with birdie bread in the evening.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Update:

I don't feed pellets anymore; I feed dry mix and the guys are loving it! Don't worry, they still enjoy getting their daily veg so they still get the vitamins they need :)

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
may I ask why do you not feed pellets anymore? are you now feeding them seeds?
note : my bird's diet is seeds bird chop ( it has some ground pellets in there) so I also feed seeds

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
may I ask why do you not feed pellets anymore? are you now feeding them seeds?
note : my bird's diet is seeds bird chop ( it has some ground pellets in there) so I also feed seeds
1. I don't like the fact that most pellet brands available in my country(actually, all except TOP's) contains mostly corn, soy, peanuts, and wheat.. not saying that you're a terrible owner if you feed pellets with "fillers", I just don't think they're good for my birds.

2. I feed dry mix instead, it's just a variety of seeds, grains, herbs etc. Just whatever you can find, as long as there's minimum 2-3 grains, 2-3 seed, and 4-5 others(herbs, spices, nuts, etc).

You don't have to feed dry mixes, only if you want to and of course if you can.
You can also feed a high quality seed mix, but veggies, fruit, sprouts etc should be the main part of the diet as it's the most nutritious. You'll often hear they need mostly pellets, 40-50%, some even saying 70-80%! This is not true, fresh is always the way to go. For budgies/cockatiels you need about 1/2 or 2/3 fresh and 1/2 or 2/3 dry :)

I'm not hating on people who feed pellets, if you want to go ahead! It's just there is more enriching option such as dry mix, but some birds hate it and in that case you may need to feed pellets or a high quality seed mix.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2. I feed dry mix instead, it's just a variety of seeds, grains, herbs etc. Just whatever you can find, as long as there's minimum 2-3 grains, 2-3 seed, and 4-5 others(herbs, spices, nuts, etc).
first thanks for all this info
yaa my birdseed mix contains lots of different types of seeds herbs and grains

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
first thanks for all this info
yaa my birdseed mix contains lots of different types of seeds herbs and grains
Well then I think you'll be fine! I'm sure your birdies are happy and healthy on their diet as you say they get chop as well :)

Most Reactions