What is the fruit or seed that these parrotlets cannot resist?

aabento

May 15, 2020
Hi :blue2:

I'm training these two Parrolets and with some success. As a reward
I'm using sunflower seed which is not the most recommended. :confused:

In case of you are training these wonderful little birds what is your choice?

:33:
Thank you.
Arnaldo

25717d1611501654-what-fruit-seed-these-parrotlets-cannot-resist-20210124_145532-medium-.jpg

Attachments

• 20210124_145532 (Medium).jpg
    20210124_145532 (Medium).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I don't have a parrotlet and never have, but have you tried millet? Some birds like pine-nuts too (although I'd cut it in halves/fourths for a bird that size)

Sunflower seeds are okay in moderation. You could also halve them if they are not in the shell.

The main issue is when they are added to seed mixes or fed daily and often.

Have you tried tiny bits of fruit etc?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Another vote for pine nuts. I cut them into thirds for the big ones, halves for the small. And of course we are talking about shelled ones. Available in larger quantities from most large supermarkets. Not cheap, but you'll' only use 10 or so during a training session.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Hey why not video one of your training sessions and enter it into this months Photo of the Month, which is training themed this month!

OP
aabento

aabento

May 15, 2020
Hey why not video one of your training sessions and enter it into this months Photo of the Month, which is training themed this month!

:blue2:The problem is that they are nervous about the presence of someone else, my wife for example. I have to put a hidden camera on but I haven't done it yet. I'll try and see what I can get. ;)

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Lola-Mexican Red Headed Amazon
Our Parrotlet loves sesame seeds! They are tiny and perfect for their little beaks.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Bumble (my parrotlet) will do tricks for almost anything. Mostly I use sesame or flax seeds. Sometimes I chop an almond into teeny bits, and sometimes I even give her something as basic as a nibble off a piece of oatmeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smwboxer

May 31, 2020
San Juan Cosala, MX
Parrots
Mealy Amazon - George
Double Yellowhead - Fred
Maximilian's Pionus - Pancho
Blue Ringneck - Kramer
Military Macaw - Abulardo
Red-Lored Amazon - Lucy
Mine adore figs.

Apr 9, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Sydney - 8 year old rescue parrotlet. Missing 2 toes
My little parrotlet LOVES safflower seeds. He doesn’t really like sunflower seeds much, but he goes crazy for safflower seeds. Also seems to enjoy cashews a lot. But safflower seeds can get him to train really well

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I was just participating in a webinar on training and interaction. The host uses 3 levels of treat, when training. Lowest value treat is used when the parrot does the mundane type of trick, step up, moving to a specific spot, those kinds of actions. Then there are the medium value treats, used during most training sessions, for either completing a trick or just positive movement towards to goal. Then there are the high value treat, for when a really big thing occurs. I've tried the medium and high value notion with Salty. He does not like to put his harness on, so when we practice that, I use the high value treat to tempt him to put his head thru the head loop of the harness, its a big thing! Once he has it on, he gets medium value treats. It does work!

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Pine nuts and pears. My beebee would do anything for a pine nut and has worked well for target training.

Most Reactions