What is the strangest or most memorable thing someone has asked/said about your bird?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
whether it was during an outing with your bird or showing them pics or having them meet your bird, what is your story?

ill go first:

"why dont you set it free?" - someone on a social media platform after i posted a pic of him (this was an old follower of mine who knew where i was from as i was super open about it) so i had to explain that 1. he would freeze to death in an hour. and 2. captive bred birds cannot survive in the wild as they do not have the knowledge or capability to survive in the wild

"why is your cage so big? my grandma's cage for her parrot looks like this *insert the rustiest most god-awful round cage with a very miserable blue fronted amazon it it* and it's happy!" - a rando who stumbled onto my acc

"where are it's red cheeks?!" - my family friend.

"why dont you clip it? arent you afraid of it flying into a fan or window?" - also my family friend

"can i give it a chip?" - my best friend

and my absolute favorite

"what do you do if it poops on you?" - one of my friends

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I've been asked a TON of weird questions, so here are some of my "favorites":
"When are you going to eat him?" -my partner (with context it makes more sense but it sounds weirder out of context)

"Why do they live in cages? Birds should be FREE!!!" (meanwhile, the birds are flying around the house)

I always get "do they talk", "can they fly", "boy or girl", "how old", "does it bite", "where did you get it" etc

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I've been asked a TON of weird questions, so here are some of my "favorites":
"When are you going to eat him?" -my partner (with context it makes more sense but it sounds weirder out of context)

"Why do they live in cages? Birds should be FREE!!!" (meanwhile, the birds are flying around the house)

I always get "do they talk", "can they fly", "boy or girl", "how old", "does it bite", "where did you get it" etc
OMG I ALWAYS GET THE COMMON QUESTIONS WHENEVR MY FAMILY MEETS HIM-

i've thankfully started to train him out of biting anyone that isnt me or a "hey, not THERE!" type 'warning' that cockatiels give when you dont scritch exactly where they want hah but i have trained him to not step up to anyone unless i give him the okay.
but yes, my cockatiel can technically talk but he does it rarely. the only 2 phrases he will use is "good bird?" or "peekaboo!" though it's more of a bunch of whistles that seems similar to human speech. however, when my family or family friends asks boy or girl, i use my 'bird expertise' (my family's words) and teach them about sexual dimorphism in cockatiels and how males lose their baby bars on their tails and their masks come in, while females keep their bars and typically don't have a mask like males.

also the "birds should be FREE!!11111!!111111!!!1" was HILARIOUS! its like uh but what are they doing? they are flying around happily. well foxglove you are so cruel for letting your birds fly around your house! how dare you let your birds get exercise! and how dare you not let them outside to die or starvation or predators?! you are so cruel and inhumane!!!1!111!!11!!1! 😑😑😑

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Get the usual, does it talk, does it bite.

Most of my relatives ask, strangely, is it an adult? Like is it gonna get any bigger? I guess in there mind there's only big parrots you know the big red one? And of course the blue and yellow, oh and then the green ones too.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Get the usual, does it talk, does it bite.

Most of my relatives ask, strangely, is it an adult? Like is it gonna get any bigger? I guess in there mind there's only big parrots you know the big red one? And of course the blue and yellow, oh and then the green ones too.
oml- thats actually pretty funny

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I've already written most these quotations in other threads multiple times but I will do it again:

"Have you fed your babies today?" - my friend asking about my hand raised Bourke chicks in the evening
"3 mouths old has to be so small" - somebody after I got Zenek
"Did Zenek grow up?"
"He looks like a cockatiel but without a crest" - somebody about Zenek
"It looks like Zenek! He has a red belly like he!" - my friend about a miligold macaw picture
"More pink bird should be a girl!" - the same friend
"I thought he is a girl because of his voice" - my teacher about Zenek

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I get β€œdo they talk?” and β€œwhy can’t you make them talk?” a LOT, but I have also gotten:

β€œIt’s gonna die in 2 years, you know.”
-My aunt said this about Stormy, to that I say: He’s 3 1/2 now, still very healthy and happy and going STRONG!

β€œHow do you manage the poop?”
-A different aunt, when she discovered I free roamed the birds.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I've already written most these quotations in other threads multiple times but I will do it again:

"Have you fed your babies today?" - my friend asking about my hand raised Bourke chicks in the evening
"Did Zenek grow up?"
"It looks like Zenek! He has a red belly like he!" - my friend about a miligold macaw picture
HAH! the one about your bourkie is funny! "More pink bird should be a girl" lollll try telling that to male galah and major Mitchell's cockatoos, roseate spoonbills, flamingos, streaked rosefinches, pink robins, scarlet ibises, pink headed fruit doves, anna's hummingbirds, pink headed warblers, white winged crossbills, pine grosbeaks, etc haha

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I get β€œdo they talk?” and β€œwhy can’t you make them talk?” a LOT, but I have also gotten:

β€œIt’s gonna die in 2 years, you know.”
-My aunt said this about Stormy, to that I say: He’s 3 1/2 now, still very healthy and happy and going STRONG!

β€œHow do you manage the poop?”
-A different aunt, when she discovered I free roamed the birds.
interesting... do people not know that not all parrots talk? or do they assume they all can?
glad to hear your budgie is almost 4!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
HAH! the one about your bourkie is funny! "More pink bird should be a girl" lollll try telling that to male galah and major Mitchell's cockatoos, roseate spoonbills, flamingos, streaked rosefinches, pink robins, scarlet ibises, pink headed fruit doves, anna's hummingbirds, pink headed warblers, white winged crossbills, pine grosbeaks, etc haha
The context of this what my friend said: She asked me how I difference the Bourkes and I said that JaΕ› is more intensive pink than others and it was so illogical to her how a male may be more pink than females 😝

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
interesting... do people not know that not all parrots talk? or do they assume they all can?
glad to hear your budgie is almost 4!
People seem to think that all parrots want to talk, or if they don’t you can somehow β€œmake” them do it. Like a dog. LOL

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My uncle still tells me you β€œhave to split a bird’s tongue” for it to be able to talk. !!
I pointed out that I’d never split Lucy’s tongue and she could talk very well and even sing a song.
β€œWell, she would’ve been able to talk better…”

Ack!

β€œDoes he know his name? Does he know what he’s saying? Is he going to get bigger?”
β€œHow much did he cost?” always makes me nervous.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

"Did Zenek grow up?"
Amazing how so many people can only compare any small parrot to a cockatiel…

I would rather like to have a pink girl Bourkes to match my pretty blue boy Quaker. Yes, I know that’s shallow. But it would be so cute. And maybe poor Willow wouldn’t be terrified of the Bourkes.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I also get β€œbut budgies aren’t parrots” a lot, so every time I talk about the budgies I start with β€œfun fact: did you know budgies are parrots?”

Literally everyone says β€œNo I didn’t, that’s interesting.” I’ve never heard a person say β€œOh yeah, I knew that.”

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I also get β€œbut budgies aren’t parrots” a lot, so every time I talk about the budgies I start with β€œfun fact: did you know budgies are parrots?”

Literally everyone says β€œNo I didn’t, that’s interesting.” I’ve never heard a person say β€œOh yeah, I knew that.”
you can then point out the hooked bill and zygodactyl toes: this is the main way to ID a parrot.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
you can then point out the hooked bill and zygodactyl toes: this is the main way to ID a parrot.
I don’t know how to pronounce zygodactyl though. I have tried and failed many times LOL

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots

I've never heard such thing, probably because budgie in Polish means literally "wavy parakeet", it's one of not many species which have "parrot/parakeet" in their Polish name. But I've got a question "Is it a budgie or just a parrot?" and it was about a canary 😝

In this context I can understand why my friend said "or just a parrot" because it was on German classes and we had to know how is "parrot" and "budgie" in German, so any other parrot kinds didn't matter... but each time when I hear "just a parrot", it sounds like other species don't exist, they're "just parrots" and nothing more...

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
The context of this what my friend said: She asked me how I difference the Bourkes and I said that JaΕ› is more intensive pink than others and it was so illogical to her how a male may be more pink than females 😝
OHHHH still pretty funny though hah

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie

Most Reactions

Latest posts