What is this behavior?

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi folks,

Iā€™m new to Quakers, and Iā€™m unsure what this behavior is. I donā€™t know if itā€™s hormonal or not? I think heā€™s a bit too young (barely six months) to be doing that and heā€™s not doing any other hormonal behaviors.

Iā€™m not sure if I should stop this, Iā€™m trying to discourage it because he gets tangled.

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi folks,

Iā€™m new to Quakers, and Iā€™m unsure what this behavior is. I donā€™t know if itā€™s hormonal or not? I think heā€™s a bit too young to be doing that and heā€™s not doing any other hormonal behaviors.

Iā€™m not sure if I should stop this, Iā€™m trying to discourage it because he gets tangled.
It's probably not hormonal right now, but when he gets older it could become a nesting behavior. My GCC used to do that to my sister, but now that he's mature I don't let him do that anymore because he hardly wants to come out. Best to stop it before it starts.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
It's probably not hormonal right now, but when he gets older it could become a nesting behavior. My GCC used to do that to my sister, but now that he's mature I don't let him do that anymore because he hardly wants to come out. Best to stop it before it starts.
Thanks for the input! I edited the post as I realized I forgot to put his age, but like I said I think heā€™s a bit too young and youā€™re right that itā€™s not hormonal yet. Iā€™ll try and nip this behavior in the bud.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My female Phoebe started hormonal behavior before six months..a lot rubbing stuff on her back. Then she laid eggs! Before 6 months, I was very surprised ( have to look back but think was just before 5 months)

I can't really tell from the video what yours is doing.

But yeah, they can start early

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
My female Phoebe started hormonal behavior before six months..a lot rubbing stuff on her back. Then she laid eggs! Before 6 months, I was very surprised ( have to look back but think was just before 5 months)

I can't really tell from the video what yours is doing.

But yeah, they can start early
Oh, alright! Iā€™ll keep my eyes out then. He has been a lot more aggressive the past week, so Iā€™m wondering if I got unlucky and I got him just as heā€™s starting his first bout of hormonesā€¦ šŸ˜…

He just crawls onto my hair and sits there. He may groom it a bit but no humping or other mating behaviors.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It could just be fun and safe to be in your hair, doesn't have to be sexy

What sort if aggression? When does it happen?

All species baby birds are just a little different than adults. They let us get away with stuff. But as they grow up they aren't tolerant of us making social blunders. They want to make their own choices, and be asked not told.
And as I'm sure you've read many stsrt to become very protective of the cage more so during hormonal times. Just having them come out on their own first makes for no drama. Mine are doll babies out of the cage but sharks if I stick a hand in the cage. During non hormonal times if I talk to them and give them a moment I can out my hand in to get them, but often they are quick to bite. So I just have a perch on the door and have them go to that first

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi folks,

Iā€™m new to Quakers, and Iā€™m unsure what this behavior is. I donā€™t know if itā€™s hormonal or not? I think heā€™s a bit too young (barely six months) to be doing that and heā€™s not doing any other hormonal behaviors.

Hi, I have had birds do that, including Quakers. My Lucy used to do that. It was sometimes convenient because I could sneak her in places like the library as I have very long hair and she was completely hidden. People have called your birdā€™s behavior ā€œhair surfingā€, I think.

I think my bird just liked being covered and close to me, kind of like cuddling up under a flannel shirt or jacket I was wearing (over a T-shirt). Itā€™s soft and like being petted, Iā€™d think. It was sometimes a problem because of the tangles, but I usually held her with one hand anyhow so she didnt tangle.

I can see that this could get to be a sexual behavior or stimulating behavior as your bird is close to you, having body contact all over, and itā€™s dark. Maybe more worrisome with a female Quaker (the dark hidey aspect). If she or he starts rubbing their behind on you or head bobbing/ regurgitating more, I would discourage the snuggling in your hair.

Willow refuses to be hidden under hair or a jacket and snuck in anywhere. He will climb right out, usually climbing my braid to the top of my head. No hiding him!

Last edited:
OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
It could just be fun and safe to be in your hair, doesn't have to be sexy

What sort if aggression? When does it happen?

All species baby birds are just a little different than adults. They let us get away with stuff. But as they grow up they aren't tolerant of us making social blunders. They want to make their own choices, and be asked not told.
And as I'm sure you've read many stsrt to become very protective of the cage more so during hormonal times. Just having them come out on their own first makes for no drama. Mine are doll babies out of the cage but sharks if I stick a hand in the cage. During non hormonal times if I talk to them and give them a moment I can out my hand in to get them, but often they are quick to bite. So I just have a perch on the door and have them go to that first
It could be, I just want to make sure it isnā€™t! I definitely donā€™t want a Quaker humping my head, lol.

Just general aggression towards my hands, at seemingly random times mostly. Thereā€™s been some slight aggression and lunging in the cage, but weā€™ve come up with a system that seems to work for us. I wait until he comes to a certain perch and thatā€™s the signal that he wants out.

Otherwise though it seems random. Itā€™ll be fine, weā€™re hanging out, I pet him a minute ago, I try to do it again and he bites me- hard. I know generally the eyes give away a lot, but his eyes are so dark I canā€™t see if his pupils are pinning. He isnā€™t giving me any other body language signals when this happens as far as I can tell, like shying away or anything. Iā€™ve been trying to very slowly approach my hand and see if he pays it any mind. If he does, I stop. If he doesnā€™t, Iā€™ll touch him. Iā€™m not sure if maybe itā€™s some sort of resource guarding even, because a lot of the time heā€™s grooming my face. But other than that thereā€™s no discernible pattern as far as I can tell.

Yup, I know for sure to expect some cage aggression and definitely aggression during hormonal periods as well as molts. Like I said in the earlier paragraph, weā€™ve worked out a system for the cage that seems to be working mostly. He wonā€™t lunge when I change food/water either so thatā€™s nice.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi, I have had birds do that, including Quakers. My Lucy used to do that. It was sometimes convenient because I could sneak her in places like the library as I have very long hair and she was completely hidden. People have called your birdā€™s behavior ā€œhair surfingā€, I think.

I think my bird just liked being covered and close to me, kind of like cuddling up under a flannel shirt or jacket I was wearing (over a T-shirt). Itā€™s soft and like being petted, Iā€™d think. It was sometimes a problem because of the tangles, but I usually held her with one hand anyhow so she didnt tangle.

I can see that this could get to be a sexual behavior or stimulating behavior as your bird is close to you, having body contact all over, and itā€™s dark. Maybe more worrisome with a female Quaker (the dark hidey aspect). If she or he starts rubbing their behind on you or head bobbing/ regurgitating more, I would discourage the snuggling in your hair.

Willow refuses to be hidden under hair or a jacket and snuck in anywhere. He will climb right out, usually climbing my braid to the top of my head. No hiding him!
Thanks for this! Iā€™ve not heard a name put to it yet. Also thatā€™s hilariousā€¦ Iā€™m imagining you making the effort to sneak your bird in and then suddenly they do that signature Quaker squawk and ruin it. šŸ˜‚

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m wondering, if itā€™s just that or more. If itā€™s simply because itā€™s comfyā€¦ then whatever. But I donā€™t want to encourage mating behavior.

Yeah thatā€™s exactly my worry. Nico is male, so I donā€™t think I have to worry too much about the darkness aspect, but I still donā€™t want it to end up becoming aggressive when I have to remove him. Iā€™m definitely watching for any regurgitation and rubbing, lol.

Nico has done that a couple times now too!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™ve sure heard of several Quakers doing that hair surfing behavior. Iā€™ve not heard of associated badness but I could be wrong.

Re: sneaking Lucy into the library or grocery: if thereā€™s a squawk I have acted like I sneezed and then said ā€œoh my goodness! Excuse me!ā€ and booked it out of there.

She would also sometimes yell ā€œout!ā€ which I usually obeyed pretty quick.

Good luck!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It could be, I just want to make sure it isnā€™t! I definitely donā€™t want a Quaker humping my head, lol.

Just general aggression towards my hands, at seemingly random times mostly. Thereā€™s been some slight aggression and lunging in the cage, but weā€™ve come up with a system that seems to work for us. I wait until he comes to a certain perch and thatā€™s the signal that he wants out.

Otherwise though it seems random. Itā€™ll be fine, weā€™re hanging out, I pet him a minute ago, I try to do it again and he bites me- hard. I know generally the eyes give away a lot, but his eyes are so dark I canā€™t see if his pupils are pinning. He isnā€™t giving me any other body language signals when this happens as far as I can tell, like shying away or anything. Iā€™ve been trying to very slowly approach my hand and see if he pays it any mind. If he does, I stop. If he doesnā€™t, Iā€™ll touch him. Iā€™m not sure if maybe itā€™s some sort of resource guarding even, because a lot of the time heā€™s grooming my face. But other than that thereā€™s no discernible pattern as far as I can tell.

Yup, I know for sure to expect some cage aggression and definitely aggression during hormonal periods as well as molts. Like I said in the earlier paragraph, weā€™ve worked out a system for the cage that seems to be working mostly. He wonā€™t lunge when I change food/water either so thatā€™s nice.
On the petting one second then bite the next, my green cheek this us a way of life lol I don't get bit ( very rarely) because I'm watching and we have had 7 or 8 years of practice. She does not like a hand to come towards her from the top. Like are you trying to kill me here?

On my quakers, they seem to be beak bullies. Testing...Testing ...can I get away with this. Mine do not bite hard, we have bite pressure down ( except at cage) but they grab, push, scrape, hold, bash, nibble, nip, do a lot of beak communication. If they are trying to beak scold or beak boss me , I make eye contact and tell them " be nice" if beak pressure is exceeded/exceeding I tell them " be careful "

I've found with my quakers ( never in a million years my green cheek) I can push beak away with finger or scrape them off gently with a finger from whatever part of me they are biting and tell them no that's not nice. We look at each other, and they are like ok, respect, i'll stop ( for now hee hee) or after a bite I have them step up and eye contact telling them no that's not nice. I think they really want to bully but are ok with you calling them out on that.

I read this great article of wild quaker flock dynamics ( I will try and find) the quaker were observed in loudly ( ofcourse) engaging in mini fight clubs, no injuries, more as for fun. Observed as not to determine dominance, more as rough housing. Parrots wouldn't hold hard feelings with sparing partners and would continue to hang out with feed with ect. Tail pulling pranks also done to mixed species in the flock. Mine love to prank by tail pulls on each other and the budgies. My green cheek will not tolerate this and goes ape $#!+ so they leave her alone. Ohhh I hope I can find the video !

Ok not t the one I was trying to find, but a good example of how much they love to squawk, and if yiu watch can see some skirmishes

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If your Quaker is well socialized and safe, he should have some bite inhibition. That Is what you teach your puppies in training- not to bite down with much pressure-when theyā€™re teething. My Quakers have not been biters but might tap me with the beak or push me with the beak, and would nibble gently. They would only close down on me if something was wrong-a startle or scare-or sometimes very calculated ā€œpunishment bitesā€.

Scientists study Quaker flocks to use them as a model for human societies. Family and kin and flock relationships are similar to human family/ kin/ neighbors.

paimonandeula

Jan 26, 2022
Indiana
Parrots
I have a gray male budgie named Paimon, a female blue and teal fancy budgie named Eula, and a green budgie named Venti <3
I have a budgie that does this. He's very young, around 2-3 months old id assume. he hides like this because it's a natural instinct for young budgies. Also, if he's scared of Eula trying to peck at him lol. Maybe its for one of those reasons

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have a budgie that does this. He's very young, around 2-3 months old id assume. he hides like this because it's a natural instinct for young budgies. Also, if he's scared of Eula trying to peck at him lol. Maybe its for one of those reasons
Your budgie hides in your hair? Iā€™m guessing it is warm and safe and maybe ā€œfeelsā€ to him like a nest hole. You are ā€œmomā€ and hiding in your hair is comfy and close to you. He can hear you and see
Awww. you are ā€œmomā€ and being under your hair is dark and warm and close to you. Comfortable like a nest chamber with momma bird there to take care of him.

Is Eula another budgie or a bigger bird? Budgies can be hurt by bigger birds, who might get annoyed and bite off a piece-like a toe or beak or eye or whatever. So if Eula is a bigger parrot, keep the baby safe and separate.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
On the petting one second then bite the next, my green cheek this us a way of life lol I don't get bit ( very rarely) because I'm watching and we have had 7 or 8 years of practice. She does not like a hand to come towards her from the top. Like are you trying to kill me here?

On my quakers, they seem to be beak bullies. Testing...Testing ...can I get away with this. Mine do not bite hard, we have bite pressure down ( except at cage) but they grab, push, scrape, hold, bash, nibble, nip, do a lot of beak communication. If they are trying to beak scold or beak boss me , I make eye contact and tell them " be nice" if beak pressure is exceeded/exceeding I tell them " be careful "

I've found with my quakers ( never in a million years my green cheek) I can push beak away with finger or scrape them off gently with a finger from whatever part of me they are biting and tell them no that's not nice. We look at each other, and they are like ok, respect, i'll stop ( for now hee hee) or after a bite I have them step up and eye contact telling them no that's not nice. I think they really want to bully but are ok with you calling them out on that.

I read this great article of wild quaker flock dynamics ( I will try and find) the quaker were observed in loudly ( ofcourse) engaging in mini fight clubs, no injuries, more as for fun. Observed as not to determine dominance, more as rough housing. Parrots wouldn't hold hard feelings with sparing partners and would continue to hang out with feed with ect. Tail pulling pranks also done to mixed species in the flock. Mine love to prank by tail pulls on each other and the budgies. My green cheek will not tolerate this and goes ape $#!+ so they leave her alone. Ohhh I hope I can find the video !

Ok not t the one I was trying to find, but a good example of how much they love to squawk, and if yiu watch can see some skirmishes
Iā€™m used to that too, my cockatiels were like that, lol. Itā€™s different with him though. He hurts me. šŸ˜• I always try to approach from the side very slowly.

Nico does a lot of licking, rubbing, touching with his beak. However he doesnā€™t gently bite. Every time heā€™s bitten me heā€™s drawn blood. Iā€™ve gotten two bites today when I thought he wanted to come out of the cage, so I guess the perch thing isnā€™t workingā€¦

I canā€™t push Nico away when he bites mostly. He latches on and thereā€™s been a couple times Iā€™ve literally had to pry his beak off me. I donā€™t know. Iā€™m really frustrated today with this. Itā€™s unpredictable for me.

Iā€™ll read the article though, thank you.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
If your Quaker is well socialized and safe, he should have some bite inhibition. That Is what you teach your puppies in training- not to bite down with much pressure-when theyā€™re teething. My Quakers have not been biters but might tap me with the beak or push me with the beak, and would nibble gently. They would only close down on me if something was wrong-a startle or scare-or sometimes very calculated ā€œpunishment bitesā€.

Scientists study Quaker flocks to use them as a model for human societies. Family and kin and flock relationships are similar to human family/ kin/ neighbors.
Iā€™m not sure what his history was so I donā€™t know if heā€™s been socialized well. As far as safe, he seems to not be afraid of people, like at all. He wants to come out and sit with you, talk, be pet sometimes, etc. He also just really likes to bite it seems likeā€¦ Is there a way to teach them bite inhibition? Iā€™m used to training dogs but not much parrots as far as behavior problems go. Heā€™s been drawing blood every time.

Thatā€™s very interesting! It makes sense, they form strong family units.

paimonandeula

Jan 26, 2022
Indiana
Parrots
I have a gray male budgie named Paimon, a female blue and teal fancy budgie named Eula, and a green budgie named Venti <3
Your budgie hides in your hair? Iā€™m guessing it is warm and safe and maybe ā€œfeelsā€ to him like a nest hole. You are ā€œmomā€ and hiding in your hair is comfy and close to you. He can hear you and see

Awww. you are ā€œmomā€ and being under your hair is dark and warm and close to you. Comfortable like a nest chamber with momma bird there to take care of him.

Is Eula another budgie or a bigger bird? Budgies can be hurt by bigger birds, who might get annoyed and bite off a piece-like a toe or beak or eye or whatever. So if Eula is a bigger parrot, keep the baby safe and separate.
oops! sorry to not clarify lol, he prefers to hide in a blanket or my hand. Eula is a budgie as well. She bites at his toes a bit, but usually just is a bit territorial and jousts at him. I make sure to stop the fights by the way. Sometimes though, she will preen him or be kind. Its mixed signals lol. Venti does stand up for himself luckily.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Soā€¦I figured out that Nico is your Quaker who is hiding under your hair, and heā€™s also biting you and making you bleed. Does he bite you a lot? Is it often? You say he licks and touches with his beak but all his bites hurt. So it sounds like some of the beak contact is not painful but some IS a problem.

I had a green cheek who bit me hard and Often. I trimmed his wings, lowered his cage a bit, and kept him OFF my back and shoulders. Greencheek was able to control the situation and bite me while perched on me, then run away from my hand to the middle of my back (when I wanted him OFF) and I didnā€™t like that. I only let non aggressive non biting birds on my shoulders. So when I first brought Willow (Quaker) home, I didnā€™t let him on my shoulder because he could be the boss and bite me or run around when I needed him off. If Nico bites much at all maybe he should only perch on your hands and not your shoulders. What do you think? Are the bites that much of a problem? Would this avoid most bites? You can always allow him shoulder access after he learns to not bite.

Lots of behaviors are FINE if you donā€™t have an attitudey parrot. (Part of his ā€˜tude may be if the bird is young and has lots of energy.). But if your bird is overstepping his bounds with bossy behavior and biting you to hurt, maybe itā€™s time to step back and restrict his access to the privileges of your back and shoulders (and head). You do that by only letting the bird perch on your knee (maybe) or your hand. When bird is perched on your hand, unless youā€™re careful he will run up your arm to your shoulder and then be the boss again. So, you need to hold your hand raised (with bird on it) above your elbow. your bird wonā€™t want to run down your arm to your elbow and then UP your arm to your shoulder.

Itā€™s a bit of a pain to do this hand and arm position, but necessary if your bird will run up your arm and bite you or run to the middle of your back when you try to step him up. My Meyers parrot is not allowed on my shoulder often. I only hold him perched on my hand with my hand high and elbow low. A Meyers is a much bigger bird with a big beak and if he bit my face and connected I would be hurt or scarred.

Hair surfing isnā€™t ā€˜badā€™ but if your bird bosses you around from your back and shoulders or bites you, then you need to keep him on your hand and off your shoulders. IMO

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Iā€™m used to that too, my cockatiels were like that, lol. Itā€™s different with him though. He hurts me. šŸ˜• I always try to approach from the side very slowly.

Nico does a lot of licking, rubbing, touching with his beak. However he doesnā€™t gently bite. Every time heā€™s bitten me heā€™s drawn blood. Iā€™ve gotten two bites today when I thought he wanted to come out of the cage, so I guess the perch thing isnā€™t workingā€¦

I canā€™t push Nico away when he bites mostly. He latches on and thereā€™s been a couple times Iā€™ve literally had to pry his beak off me. I donā€™t know. Iā€™m really frustrated today with this. Itā€™s unpredictable for me.

Iā€™ll read the article though, thank you.
I'm sorry you guys are having a frustrating time.

Sometimes after a bite we and the birds get in a feed back loop..they have gotten a little spooked and unsure and we can't help but act hesitant which makes them bite more...I'm kinda sucks at explaining...

It's so common to hear posters in this situation say the bird is just biting me and I don't know why or its random. But for the bird they have a reason , and its helpful to take the approach that its your fault. Put bluntly ( how I talk anyway and not ment to be harsh) you shouldn't be putting them in the position that they have to bite. Not rushing, not taking liberties for granted.

As for quaker pre bite body language ...I agree is a little tricky , much less clear than a GCC. What I have seen, the feathers just in back of the grey head patch will flair ( subtle) while they flatten the grey patch forehead feathers. They may lower head and crouch slightly forward. But true bites I have received ( yep my fault) have been lightning fast strikes . So I get it.

Start out in your mind and wipe the slate clean.
What I would recommend, go back to working on trust. And bribes. I can't tell you how many times feeding a bazillion safflower seeds by hand has gotten me out of behavior hiccups. Just going and say hi here's a treat. Oh your being nice and quiet here's a treat. Walk 3 steps to me great job here's a treat. Goodnight here's your treat.. good morning, hello or goodbye..treat. always come towards them from the front.

Keep hair tied up for now. I have one if she gets tangled in my hair she bites.

On coming out of cage. Have your perch attached to the outside of cage by door. Always use the same words or phrase . Use permission based training. Tap the perch show the seed ask them to come out. Back up a step and give them the space to come out. Then give treat and really brag. Then have them climb up to a perch higher up give a treat and do step up from that location. If tgey didn't come out with a little encouragement, say OK. Close the cage and walk away, try again in five minutes.

I sure hope helps

Most Reactions