What is your chop recipe?

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Dora - Green-rumped parrotlet ♀
I'm preparing a new batch of chop for Dora, some time today. Unfortunately, the last batch we prepared was terrible. 12 days worth... trial and error lol! Fortunately, this place is resourceful - which I am forever grateful for!

Anyway, apologies in advance if a similar thread has already been created. I was wondering what YOUR chop recipe(s) consists of? How do you prepare it? The duration?

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
There has indeed been many threads on chop!

Try here first:
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/49831-chop-day-recipe.html

Terry did an awesome detailed journal, and many others chipped in with their own recipes.

To be honest mine changes every time, and it's usually whatever I shove into a trolley at the greengrocer.

Generally:
* 70% raw vegetables
* 5% cooked vegetables
* 10% cooked beans/pulses
* 10% Leafy greens
* 5% nuts/ seeds

I make in bulk then freeze in 2-4 day portions.

To be honest though, my bird wasn't keen on this batch so it looks like I have to try a different combination of ingredients next time.

The only thing I need to get better at is making sure the mixture isn't too wet. Then it gets gross.

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Dora - Green-rumped parrotlet ♀
Thank you. I've had a look at that thread, it is impressive and inspiring! I thought this could be a dedicated place, where it may be easier to find everyone's recipes :D
I'm going to use your guidelines :)
"* 70% raw vegetables
* 5% cooked vegetables
* 10% cooked beans/pulses
* 10% Leafy greens
* 5% nuts/ seeds"
whilst preparing the chop this evening. It's something my child enjoys helping me with.
We bought plenty of vegetables and fruit, earlier this afternoon. I'd like to include sugar snap peas, sweet potato, carrot, red pepper, green peas, pulses, nuts and long grain brown rice. I'm undecided on whether to add fruit to this batch - I think I may save it for her skewer. From what I have listed, could anyone suggest which should be left raw or cooked?

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
Apart from the pulses and rice, you could leave all the rest uncooked if you wanted.

The cooking depends on your bird's palate - if she doesn't like much stuff raw you try some of it cooked and see if she prefers it. If she doesn't mind, it's much easier to just bung the lot in a food processor.

I'd leave the fruit for the skewer too - it's a bit too wet for a chop mix.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Here is my thread I posted a while back, (the CHOP Chronicles) but I can no longer change the pictures of it, sadly, I have made a couple batches since thee but I generally use this ratio:

'I tried to stick with the formula of 40% vegetables, 10% fruit, 40% grains/beans and 10% dry ingredients.'

I generally will do a base of beans, quinoa, and the frozen bag of mixed veggies, then add from there. I have two cockatiels, one who loves it, one who is still getting used to it/addicted to his old seed. My batches usually make over a month's worth, around 8 bags, each bag I get a few days.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I use a version of itzjbean’s recipe. I don’t put fruit in because I’m afraid it will get slimy too fast, so I add that the day I feed it. She also gets more variety this way. I do the same with fresh greens so she gets whatever greens I’ve tossed in the chop and something fresh. I will also often put a baby carrot or a pepper of some kind through he bars of her cage. She likes to fling the bits of them everywhere. If I position it just right, some of the bits fall in her food dish and she might actually eat some of it!

Most Reactions