what kind of wood

djdancer

Jan 7, 2013
I read in another thread that you can make your own toys and buy the wood from a hardware store. My question is: What kind of wood to buy? I know that birds can't be around cedar trees so not sure what kind of wood is safe.

BTW, I have cedar trees all throughout my neighborhood that are full of birds.

Thanks!!

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
ceder has some toxic chemicals in it and is very bad for respiratory systems. I use wood from my yard after I have cleaned it. like Birch, Bamboo, Crepe Myrtle, Sweet Gum, Dogwood, Rose of Sharon and some others.

OP
D

djdancer

Jan 7, 2013
I have a neighbor with an apple tree who is always asking if I want some branches for my birds. I'm not sure how to clean them so they are safe for my birds. Can my birds have the leaves too?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
The applewood is fine unless they spray insecticides or use systemic insecticides, in which case it would not be safe. A lot of people spray apple trees a few times a year to keep bugs and diseases form hurting the applecrop. I don't know if they would eat the leaves but the branch would have to be cleaned first.:)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I would think the euccalyptus branches if they are grown for birds would be fine as is. The applewood you could mix a very dilute bleach mix like one part bleach to 10 parts water. scrub with a brush then rinse several times with a hose and dry in the sun for a few days. And that is the branches after you take off the leaves then scrub rinse and dry.:)

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
apple wood is fine and so is euccalyptus I clean my wood with eco friendly dish soap and water scrubbing the wood and spraying the leaves then rinsing all the soap off. of course I only have used my own branches and wood of my trees and they arent sprayed with anything.

Most Reactions

Latest posts