What level of touch/preening is safe for cockatiels

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel :)
Without it being seen as flirty? Lol

My girl loves scratches on her head and upper neck, as well as cheeks and me touching her beak. She lets our a cute soft little chirp as I do this. When she's on my shoulder she cuddles into my neck. Reference pics

20230127_175107.jpg
20230118_212550.jpg
20230114_144129.jpg

She never solicits sex from me but she does get a bit broody and will do it alone in her cage and I don't want to be accidentally setting off hormones.

OP
I

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
Reasons I'm a bit worried also:
-She preens my baby hairs on the back of my neck, my fringe, my eyelashes one time and my eyebrows. -She has never regurgitated on me but yawns a lot while she's on me like this

20230125_160502.jpg

Maybe she's just clearing her crop??

-She does get 14 hours of sleep and plenty of exercise and good food and enrichment so I'm not concerned about egg laying but I don't want her to think I'm her mate and possibly become inappropriately attached to me. Currently she has no behavioural issues whatsoever apart from her mating dances in her cage a few times a day (I am blessed) and I don't want her to develop any if I'm not handling her properly. I know physical touch is interpreted differently amongst the avians than mammals

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I think as long as the scratches are on the head and upper neck, there is no harm in prolonged scritching sessions. Beakies, me, I stay off Salty's beak; I think that beak battles might have some sexual involvement. Plenty enough birdie head and neck to go around!

OP
I

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
I think as long as the scratches are on the head and upper neck, there is no harm in prolonged scritching sessions. Beakies, me, I stay off Salty's beak; I think that beak battles might have some sexual involvement. Plenty enough birdie head and neck to go around!

With her beak usually I play a game with her where I lean forward, touch her beak to the tip of my nose and say "boop." She will move her head around in circles and I know she's trying to scurry up my shoulder, and I just keep having her step up from hand to hand and booping her until she's had enough. The moment I stop she runs up my arm like some kind of rat (it's the funniest thing as she always has a really pleased expression on her face... I may be anthromorphising too much!) and she settles on my shoulder.

She used to be a bit nippy about coming off my shoulder but I took step up training very seriously and started positively reinforcing her being on my finger (I mostly give scratches when she's perched on my hand for example as well as treats) and now she's happy to be on both but still prefers riding shotgun on the shoulder when given the choice.

Most Reactions

Latest posts