What makes your budgie destructible vs. indestructible?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I mainly made this for fun, and to share my experiences, because it's ok to make mistakes, that's how you learn. From experience, budgies are both extremely easy to accidentally kill, and at the same time super hardy and great at not being killed. So here are my stories:

Picasso almost h*nged herself. So, she had this toy with a small loop and managed to get her head stuck through. I was home that day, thankfully, and removed or modified all potentially dangerous toys from then on in.

Picasso also fell in my fish tank one time, when I accidentally left the lid ajar. I found her huddling on the power cord (behind the tank) very cold and wet. Again, I made sure to always close lids from then on in.

Stormy flew away for almost a week, and he was found at a campground near us, where he proceeded to be picked up and brought to our nearest animal shelter. From there, he was put in a foster home, and we got him back! He flew nearly 3 miles (with breaks) through a large rainstorm. I'm so glad I had desensitized him to the wild, otherwise he probably would've kept flying until he died from exhaustion.

Nothing that awful has happened to Pepper, except that he was bitten on his cere by Picasso and being stomped on by the other birds.

Alrighty, share your stories! I'm hoping people will see this and learn from our experiences instead of having to go through that.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
I have a terrible cringy pun for this that involves my birds. What do you call a bird that cannot be hurt? Indi-structable (get it? Cause like Indi is my bird my jokes are so flat XD)

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
my budgies almost hanged themselves too - in the past I was using a string to open the cage door but not making it "fall down". When the door were closed, Szafirek and Limonka sometimes were putting their heads in there getting tangled up - after such few rescues we stopped using it

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I used to string up some of my budgies toys with sisal string until Striga got his leg tangled up in it! I had to cut him free! From then on I don't use sisal string for bird toys

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I used to string up some of my budgies toys with sisal string until Striga got his leg tangled up in it! I had to cut him free! From then on I don't use sisal string for bird toys
I use jute, but it's either really small or HUGE loops, nothing they can get tangled in!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Budgies STRESS ME OUT. They are so small, hard to notice, and fast flyers that they get into trouble so easily.
Zig and Kai are both these ridiculous buttfaces who are always trying to be bad birdies and as a result they have gotten (almost) stuck behind furniture, tangled in my hair (I no longer keep it down while handling them), and once, one of them got his toe stuck in a keyhole.
You have to be extremely careful with budgies...or any small bird.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Budgies STRESS ME OUT. They are so small, hard to notice, and fast flyers that they get into trouble so easily.
Zig and Kai are both these ridiculous buttfaces who are always trying to be bad birdies and as a result they have gotten (almost) stuck behind furniture, tangled in my hair (I no longer keep it down while handling them), and once, one of them got his toe stuck in a keyhole.
You have to be extremely careful with budgies...or any small bird.
This morning, Stormy tried to sip water from the Zebra Danio fry bin, then proceeded to bite everything around him when I shooed him away and covered the bin :ROFLMAO:

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Budgies have the oddest tantrums.

Stormy: Bites everything even if it did nothing to him COS HE'S ANGY

Picasso: Uhh... too lazy for tantrums

Pepper: Panics, runs into wall, falls behind dresser, etc.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ziggy: zoomies around and knocks everything over
Kai: RAWR
Seiji: haven't seen one
Stormy wakes up
He realize
No seeb
Dies internally
More death
Then does something
Does him a bite
Hooman puts him down
Which makes him even more
ANGY
So he bite all

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
well this is one i wish I could have gotten a picture of.
Cloudy Flys by Phoebe, and Phoebe is fast enough to grab his tail feathers in mid flight. It all happened so fast, for a second Cloudy keeps trying to fly then stops and is just hanging upside down perfectly calm from Phoebe's beak by just the tip of his tail feathers . I jumped and chastised Phoebe and she let go he flew off unharmed tail feathers intact. But that spilt second when all 3 of us contemplating what the heck! Phoebe so surprised she managed it, Cloudy clueless to what had happened, me not believing my eyes!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
to clarify it wasn't an attack or aggressive. My quakers love to prank and give tail feathers a tug.
It was amazing eye beak coordination and timing! I think we all thought wow lol

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
to clarify it wasn't an attack or aggressive. My quakers love to prank and give tail feathers a tug.
It was amazing eye beak coordination and timing! I think we all thought wow lol
Didn't really sound like it! One time, I was holding Picasso (she trusts me a lot and lets me roll her onto her back) on my open hand, when she slipped one of her legs between my fingers and proceeded to hang upside down by said foot. IT WAS SO COOL and we all marveled at it for a long time, especially the trust.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Guess you'd have to witness and know my burbs. Phoebe was just chilling when he flew past.

Picasso does trust you
Oh my gosh, did I really word it that wrong!? Ok, I meant it didn't really sound aggressive.

I-
I need lessons on how to word things without accidentally offending people....

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
its ok
If had been aggressive i would have talked about it. Stuff like that can happen. It was just a random weird birb moment. It was kinda amazing. But ill make sure doesn't evolve into a game
Weird birb moments are the BEST!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts