What medical tests are necessary for a first-time visit to a vet?

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
I scheduled Kizzy for a wing-clipping and medical examination when she was around eight weeks old, but it didn't happen. Her obvious delight after her first flight made me realize I didn't want to clip her. The lack of necessary equipment at the veterinary clinic made it clear there was no reason to take her there.

Our local CAV went to Cornell and is probably competent, but she doesn't keep a lot of necessities on hand because there aren't too many people in this sparsely-populated county who have large parrots. Those with 'tiels, budgies, lovebirds, finches, etc. probably don't take their birds to the vet very often.

Unfortunately, when she x-rayed Gabby at the beginning of that nightmarish week before his death, the struggle made him lose almost half his tail feathers. According to Dr. Speer, the x-ray was useless, as well. Had I known there were no competent staff members on hand at the local clinic, I would have restrained Gabby myself despite my mental state. I just assumed a veterinarian would have competent staff on hand for such things. Oops.

I learned my lesson and subsequently restrained Gabby for the next needed test. When she saw I knew what I was doing, she exclaimed, "Wow! I'd hire you on the spot!" We talked about my volunteering to help her on certain days, but when Gabby died, I really didn't want to see the inside of a vet's office for a long, long time. Maybe it's time to revisit the idea of volunteering for the sake of the local companion birds.

When I asked what tests she would perform, she didn't mention anything that required more than a physical examination. It used to be standard procedure to do a choanal and cloacal culture and perhaps a CBC. What is considered "standard" now? I'd like to have a baseline on hand.

What tests are truly necessary? When Kizzy is ready, I may decide to drive several hours so she can see Dr. Brian Speer. Neither of us is quite ready for that, but she needs a routine exam. :green: If the local vet had the right equipment, I suppose I could restrain Kizzy while she was examined. The problem is I don't know how Kizzy would react. Gabby always forgave me. Kizzy may feel differently. I certainly don't want to damage our relationship.

Kizzy will lie on her back in my hand. As time goes on, she is relaxing more and more. Sometimes she'll just fall over backward and count on me to catch her, but if I don't do it just right, she trains me to be more careful the next time. *pinch* "Next time, don't tweak my feathers, OK?" It's like the trust fall at a retreat, only Kizzy gives me zero warning. :) When she's on her back, I no longer need a toy between her beak and my hands. Her pinches are still a bit too hard, but they've softened considerably since we began this exercise. We've made a lot of progress. I certainly don't want to blow everything by being the bad guy at the vet's office.

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I can’t answer about the tests, but I’m curious: will you have her DNA sexed to know for sure? [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Never pay for a vet visit (aside from emergency from injury) without getting gram stains AT LEAST! That's the test that will ACTUALLY tell you if your bird has any sort of infection or internal parasite. If you suspect something is wrong and the gram stains (fecal smear; usually costs $40-$80 in my experience) come back clean, then get a Complete blood panel. I would get this on a new bird and at each annual visit as a baseline. I think I expect to pay $150-$250 for this, but I'm not sure in my new area.

On a new bird I also get tears for the "big three" viral diseases PBFD, psittacosis, and avian polyoma. I do mine through Avian BioTech for $20 each at home instead of through the vet who often will charge around $100 each.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
First visit is a roving target! For a simple well-check, what Dani (SilverSage) suggests is excellent. Unfortunately, many birds see a CAV for cause, ie illness or injury. Sometimes a triage set of testing is necessary to uncover clues as quickly and definitively as possible.

My vet does as much work as possible in the exam room with me present. All of my birds are either hand-fed tame or very used to people. I see their eyes track to follow me during the visit and assume my presence is comforting. You and your vet will have to determine what strategies are best for Kizzy.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Never pay for a vet visit (aside from emergency from injury) without getting gram stains AT LEAST! That's the test that will ACTUALLY tell you if your bird has any sort of infection or internal parasite. If you suspect something is wrong and the gram stains (fecal smear; usually costs $40-$80 in my experience) come back clean, then get a Complete blood panel. I would get this on a new bird and at each annual visit as a baseline. I think I expect to pay $150-$250 for this, but I'm not sure in my new area.

On a new bird I also get tears for the "big three" viral diseases PBFD, psittacosis, and avian polyoma. I do mine through Avian BioTech for $20 each at home instead of through the vet who often will charge around $100 each.

Blood tests through the mail are a great idea! Thanks! Perhaps I could trade some work at the local veterinary clinic for some help getting blood from Kizzy. If I do this, I might as well have her DNA sexed, too. I'm so sure Kizzy is a female, but without a DNA test, I really shouldn't be "so sure." Over the course of my time as a breeder, pet store employee and parrot lover, I have seen some very feminine-looking male parrots. That's why a blood test is the only way to be sure.

I'm not sure I could adjust to the idea of Kizzy being male and she's only five months old. Amy's person must feel very confused. XD

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
DNA and disease tests can be done from the SAME SAMPLE so you don't even have to take blood more than once. I suggest the blood vials, they are the easiest and best method, but some tests require cloacal (rear end) swabs I stead of blood. Blood samples are as easy as snipping a toe nail a smudge too short. The test kits are free so you can eve order them and then wait until you accidentally over trim a nail rather than doing it on purpose.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty's initial wellness tests, done 2 yrs ago was around $300, and our vet did the fecal smear and full blood panel test. $300 but we are on Long Island , near NYC, so most services are higher than elsewhere

Thats sounds like a fun trick, I'd like to see it, Kizzy just falling over into your hand.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Thats sounds like a fun trick, I'd like to see it, Kizzy just falling over into your hand.

I don't have time to enjoy it. It's like, "Hey, Mom! Think fast!" XD

Most Reactions