What should I do??? Neglected cockatoos + other animals at local garden store.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So there's this store I go to that sells flowers, terrariums, beautiful stuff, really. The plants are all high quality and well taken care of.... But there's an issue

They have a Lesser Sulfer Crested Cockatoo (LSC2), and an Umbrella Cockatoo (U2) as a main attraction. Both are in small cages, no good toys (just one "toy" per bird made of cotton fibers), and are fed solely Fiesta pellets. They also have a 100 gal pond with about 6 Red Eared Sliders (all have severe body/shell rot, a tiny basking spot, and no UVB), and they have added the PERFECT new pet to their collection of neglected animals: 2 Clawed Frogs in a 10gal (filled halfway up) so dirty you can't see to the other side of it. No filter of anything, and they're being fed goldfish pellets (very low quality ones too, with lots of soy).

Now, I must've interacted with those 'toos for half an hour, and it was obvious they're barely interacted with. It got to the point where the LSC2 would scream when I left the room (it was the one that bonded to me most), and would say "hello" every time I walked away, until I came back. These guys are out, mostly exposed in all the elements, people constantly coming by and telling them to "say _", and they're super stressed. Having to leave, and hear them screaming for me to come back, was one of the hardest things I've ever done. The LSC2 especially was so distressed. The U2 was quiet and scared the whole time.

I really don't know what to do, I'm scared for their future, both are plucking, and have overgrown beaks... What should I do??? And the other animals, they don't deserve that!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
So there's this store I go to that sells flowers, terrariums, beautiful stuff, really. The plants are all high quality and well taken care of.... But there's an issue

They have a Lesser Sulfer Crested Cockatoo (LSC2), and an Umbrella Cockatoo (U2) as a main attraction. Both are in small cages, no good toys (just one "toy" per bird made of cotton fibers), and are fed solely Fiesta pellets. They also have a 100 gal pond with about 6 Red Eared Sliders (all have severe body/shell rot, a tiny basking spot, and no UVB), and they have added the PERFECT new pet to their collection of neglected animals: 2 Clawed Frogs in a 10gal (filled halfway up) so dirty you can't see to the other side of it. No filter of anything, and they're being fed goldfish pellets (very low quality ones too, with lots of soy).

Now, I must've interacted with those 'toos for half an hour, and it was obvious they're barely interacted with. It got to the point where the LSC2 would scream when I left the room (it was the one that bonded to me most), and would say "hello" every time I walked away, until I came back. These guys are out, mostly exposed in all the elements, people constantly coming by and telling them to "say _", and they're super stressed. Having to leave, and hear them screaming for me to come back, was one of the hardest things I've ever done. The LSC2 especially was so distressed. The U2 was quiet and scared the whole time.

I really don't know what to do, I'm scared for their future, both are plucking, and have overgrown beaks... What should I do??? And the other animals, they don't deserve that!
Can you report them to local shelters and rescues?

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Well, if you don't do anything, then nobody will. You are the only person that can help. If everyone is just going to assume, "someone else will do something about it", what does that help? If you're unable to that's a different case.

I think an SPCA will be able to help.
Ok, well, I'll try. Hopefully it turns out well.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Welp, apparently here in the US, a parrot is not a living animal, it is simply property or a belonging, so unless there is severe abuse, no one cares.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Try talking to whoever owns the place. Do not talk down to them, but, offer suggestions that will improve the animals lives. Show them that you know what you are talking about. Offer to help them learn proper care of these animals. Make them understand that you are only interested in improving the animals lives, and making their store more of a "showplace". Be polite, be confident and be caring.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m surprised at the response you got. First off, turtles need to be managed right or they can carry salmonella and spread it. And there are many people walking past this turtle pond filled with (rotting) turtles.

Can I ask who gave you the response you report?

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I’m surprised at the response you got. First off, turtles need to be managed right or they can carry salmonella and spread it. And there are many people walking past this turtle pond filled with (rotting) turtles.

Can I ask who gave you the response you report?
I don think I reported a response... also, could you not say rotting turtles? I feel like that kind of makes them seem like they are not living beings, and more like rotting corpses. They are in the most pain from this.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Try talking to whoever owns the place. Do not talk down to them, but, offer suggestions that will improve the animals lives. Show them that you know what you are talking about. Offer to help them learn proper care of these animals. Make them understand that you are only interested in improving the animals lives, and making their store more of a "showplace". Be polite, be confident and be caring.
For clarification, I am a neurodivergent minor with social issues that cause anxiety. I don't think I could do that even if I tried... The most I can manage in terms of helping people improve their animal keeping is going to my local fish store and asking (more like mumbling) them if I can take a sick one home. Being surrounded with animal abuse or neglect just makes it 10x worse...

Anyhow, who would take advice from a random kid? They trust whatever cr*ppy PetSmart employee that sold them those frogs, or those turtles. I honestly think they inherited the birds, though.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hmm. I tried to help you. I’m asking who told you that nothing could be done for these animals. Was it an agency? The police? Im trying to determine if there’s a better place to report the bad conditions at the store.

My point, by using the word β€œrotting”, was that it is an awful thing to happen to an animal. That’s what β€œshell rot” is. So, you yourself said the turtles were rotting as you described they had β€œshell rot”.

You posted asking for advice or help. Do you want that?

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Hmm. I tried to help you. I’m asking who told you that nothing could be done for these animals. Was it an agency? The police? Im trying to determine if there’s a better place to report the bad conditions at the store.
Sorry, I didn't say anything with bad intentions, but thank you for implying that it sounded that way (and I don't mean any of that sarcastically, I'm just really bad at ''tone''). The SPCA said that that didn't qualify as neglect.
My point, by using the word β€œrotting”, was that it is an awful thing to happen to an animal. That’s what β€œshell rot” is. So, you yourself said the turtles were rotting as you described they had β€œshell rot”.
Sorry, it just made me uncomfortable... I would never describe any living animal as ''rotting'', but that's just a personal thing. You can describe them however you want.
You posted asking for advice or help. Do you want that?
Of course I do!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I used that word with the INTENT to show that what was happening to the turtles was horrible. I agree with you.

Thank you for clarifying that you spoke to the SPCA about the store conditions. Those are the right people to talk with. If SPCA said they can’t do anything, then that’s that. Legally, people can β€œown” animals and if they’re feeding, watering, and keeping reasonably clean, they meet welfare requirements.

You can always stop back and check on the welfare of the animals that you’re concerned about. If an animal appears to be sick, you or your parent could write to the store manager, or you could contact the SPCA again (phone or written).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You told the last two people who responded to you that their answer wasn’t ok and it seemed like both of us tried to help you. That’s why I asked if you really wanted advice. I WISH I could give you a different answer that would fix the problem you see, but I don’t think there is a solution.

Some people think no one should have animals or birds as pets. They would take away our pet birds for whom we provide quite well. The SPCA has to choose a middle ground somewhere and unfortunately you found where it lies. I hate the trend of β€œbird in shops”, like living decorations, too. It seems so stressful.

bittybo

Sep 16, 2017
I used that word with the INTENT to show that what was happening to the turtles was horrible. I agree with you.

Thank you for clarifying that you spoke to the SPCA about the store conditions. Those are the right people to talk with. If SPCA said they can’t do anything, then that’s that. Legally, people can β€œown” animals and if they’re feeding, watering, and keeping reasonably clean, they meet welfare requirements.

You can always stop back and check on the welfare of the animals that you’re concerned about. If an animal appears to be sick, you or your parent could write to the store manager, or you could contact the SPCA again (phone or written).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That’s excellent!!! Way to get around being introverted and stick to your guns.

I hope that a written record and report (more official) will get more results.

(This was a reply to a deleted post where the concerned poster detailed an email they sent to the spca about the conditions of animals in the store. Not sure why they deleted it.)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts