What should i do with my lovebirds

Alexlooi

Mar 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
My first bird was, kiwi( peach face), he flew to our house, so we assume he escaped, cause there no wild lovebird in malaysia. After keeping him for a day, we ask some bird store manager, the manager said that if i set him free, he will not survive. So i decided to keep him.

Then i bought another lovebird and name her cherry, but soon it died without any clear reason. And before cherry died kiwi was already attach to her.

So after cherry died, i immediately bought another lovebird, a fischer and named her wasabi. I soon put her into kiwi's big size cage (can fit three people in the cage) so kiwi will not felt lonely, but it seems like a mistake.

Now, kiwi and wasabi don't seem to get along very well as kiwi is always dodging wasabi, but sometimes they get very close. Im really confuse about their relationship. Can they mate in the future? Should I separate them to different cage? Please help

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Welcome to the forums!

How, they have a big cage!

By "not getting along", do you mean they attack each other, or that they just don't have interest in each other? If the case is that they hurt each other, it is a good idea to separate them.

"Can they mate in the future?" Yes. If they get VERY attached to each other instincts can kick in and then they mate. If you are planning on breeding them I suggest reading this post: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/before-i-start-to-breed.54987/

There are many reasons not to breed and most people shouldn't be breeding the birds..

If you are asking this because you DON'T want to breed them, the best solution is separating them.

If you have any questions, send them right my way! :)

OP
A

Alexlooi

Mar 2, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Tbh i wanting to breed them cause i want to have a closer bond with the birds, since hand feed bird will be closer to the owners and my current birds are only little familiar with me which is why i still can't pet them. And i wanna achieve the closeness between the birds so, raising one might be the best options, i think. Anyways thanks for the suggestions

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Tbh i wanting to breed them cause i want to have a closer bond with the birds, since hand feed bird will be closer to the owners and my current birds are only little familiar with me which is why i still can't pet them. And i wanna achieve the closeness between the birds so, raising one might be the best options, i think. Anyways thanks for the suggestions
Hand feeding them won't necessarily make them tamer.. just be patient, taming can take a while! sometimes.

Breeding is very risky. Your birds can lose their lives and I'm sure you don't want that. I learnt the hard way that breeding birds isn't a good choice :(

There are a lot of thread about taming bird here:

You might find info in those sub-forums and you can make a post on specific questions on taming :)

Below I have included some bird-care threads :)

Here is a thread on finding avian vets in case you ever need one: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/avian-vet-resources.93159

And some on diet:

I have a post on cages:

Household hazards:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think kiwi is a peach faced lovebird and wasabi is a Fischer lovebird.

I believe they could breed but babies produced would be sterile.

Most Reactions

Latest posts