What time is bed time

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Just wondering, but what time does everyone put their birds to bed and what time do you get them up?
I put The Rebel to bed about 9. I turn off her room light but I leave the hall light on for about another 15 minutes.
In the morning I turn her room lights on at about 8:30.
I'm asking because I hear her playing after her lights are off at night and I hear her eating her pellets before the light get turned back on in the morning.
Seems like it's not enough hours of sleep but behaviorally she seems fine.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
6-7pm birds start to get sleepy so I cover them, then 7-8am they wake up when I do.

OP
I

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
That seems like the right amount of sleep. I'm not sure why she wants to stay up now. When I first brought her home she was done by 8:30.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I put mine to bed at 7pm then they wake when I do which is between 8-9am

OP
I

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
I'm wondering if she just isn't tired. ? She still won't come out of her cage so it's a little challenging to burn off energy. She is definitely not getting as much sleep as you all's birds.
I'm a little lost, I don't want to force her out if she's not ready ( I've only had her. 5 weeks) but it seems like not sleeping and staying in the cage could lead to a problem too.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I do 9pm-9am, but I take the pellet bowl out at night so I can wash it. I give them fresh veg in the AM when I wake them up and wait an hour before putting their pellets in so that they try some of the veggies first. I also track their weight daily though to make sure they’re not losing weight I don’t want them to lose.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
QP Ralph chose his own bedtime when I first got him. It's somewhere between 7:00 and 7:30 PM. In her former home, Scooter the CAG didn't go to bed until after 11 PM, but after I adopted her, she adapted to the earlier bedtime. Both parrots are awake before I am in the morning, but are quiet until I come in and greet them. That time varies quite a lot. I have noisy neighbors downstairs who sometimes keep me awake half the night and I end up sleeping late in the morning. The parrots get greeted anywhere between 7:30 and 9:30, depending on how much sleep I was able to get. The variable hours don't seem to bother them.

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
QP Ralph chose his own bedtime when I first got him. It's somewhere between 7:00 and 7:30 PM. In her former home, Scooter the CAG didn't go to bed until after 11 PM, but after I adopted her, she adapted to the earlier bedtime. Both parrots are awake before I am in the morning, but are quiet until I come in and greet them. That time varies quite a lot. I have noisy neighbors downstairs who sometimes keep me awake half the night and I end up sleeping late in the morning. The parrots get greeted anywhere between 7:30 and 9:30, depending on how much sleep I was able to get. The variable hours don't seem to bother them.
Can anyone tell me if it’s stressful for birds when their sleep schedules change ? My cockatiel’s whole schedule had to be changed this month and I don’t know if he sleeps at night properly 😭

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Can anyone tell me if it’s stressful for birds when their sleep schedules change ? My cockatiel’s whole schedule had to be changed this month and I don’t know if he sleeps at night properly 😭
I think it messes up their circadian rhythm than it stresses them out.

It's like when a human usually goes to bed at 9am and suddenly goes to bed at 12pm, so it'll mess up the persons circadian rhythm for a few days to weeks, or even longer depending on the person, same for birds. So if he has some behavioural changes, the change in his sleep schedule is to blame.

I recommend in the days/weeks before his scedule change, to slowly make his sleep earlier/later and/or make him wake up earlier/later(depending on what the change is), so it's not a very sudden change :)

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd starts to grumble just before bedtime at somewhere between 7.30 and 8. I hear him off and on from about 6am but he happily stays there until about 7.30.

OP
I

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Exciting news! The Rebel Pepper finally came out of her cage! Yay!! This is only the second time she has been out on top her cage since she got here over a month ago.

Attachments

• 20220426_191621.jpg
    20220426_191621.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 53
OP
I

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
I finally got a clue 2 days ago while I was thinking about her not wanting to go sleep. So I took the tray out of the play top. And (shame on me) I took away her favorite toy.
Then yesterday I put some millet on the cage top.
And here we are today she finally came out! I feel like this is a big step for us

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Mine are covered from 7pm to 7am. I really don't know how much of the time they spend sleeping though. It has been reported to me that they move around at 5am.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm finally catching up around here- how exciting she had top of cage time!!

Cotton usually sleeps 6 or 7pm-6am. We have quiet evening time before that with the shades in the room closed.

Most Reactions