What to do next in Taming Process?

Fatima I

Feb 23, 2023
Parrots
Budgie
My budgie will eat seeds from my palm and will hop on my finger to eat spray millet; He even COMES to me when he sees i have seeds or especially spray millet, which is so cute and i enjoy very much.

BUT!!!!

After he eats the seeds from my palm or the spray millet he FLIES right BACK to his perches/play gyms i have set up for him (could it be i made the GYMS TOO FUN he doesn't want to do anything else?) . He doesn't STAY WITH ME to bond or chill. He just eats the food or treat and then dips. I know this is great progress and shows potential but this has been going on for a while now and nothing much has changed necessarily. Only that he is now very good at eating seeds and treats from my hand lol.

So!! what is my next step? What should I do to further the trust and taming process along?
I one time moved his gym further away from the others and placed him there closer to me to chill and bond...but he just flew right back to his home corner. :(
Is it me? Am I doing something wrong? or He just needs more time to settle in completely. I will gladly give him that time, i don't have any issue..but i just want to know if i'm doing this right and just allow HIM to decide when he wants to chill on me or around OR should i be doing something new or different to further us along?

I just want to know i'm doing it right and properly. I don't only want this for myself, but also for him so he can start to enjoy and play and not be scared or timid. So he can truly feel free in his home and space.

ANY insight or advice will be helpful.
THANK YOU :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
When he is on your hand, space out the treat longer and longer. Take some notice of what he does just before flitting off, and offer a bit more treat before that. Rinse and repeat, spacing the treat out longer and longer. Training parrots take patience , time and consistency.

OP
F

Fatima I

Feb 23, 2023
Parrots
Budgie
When he is on your hand, space out the treat longer and longer. Take some notice of what he does just before flitting off, and offer a bit more treat before that. Rinse and repeat, spacing the treat out longer and longer. Training parrots take patience , time and consistency.
This sounds like a perfect idea. I'll do that with him. Thank You.

OP
F

Fatima I

Feb 23, 2023
Parrots
Budgie
I'm not sure if i'm training/taming my budgie properly. He is still jumpy at the sight of my hand coming near him UNLESSSSSSS i have a treat in it..he hops on my hand if i have seeds or on my finger if i have a treat. He fleas back to his gym when he is done eating. Which to me seems wrong. Defeats the whole purpose. He flew TO ME and ON my shoulder the other day TWICE in one day but only for 10 seconds and flew away. And he hasn't done it since. He talks to me and fluffs up when he sees me and he wiggles his tail at me too. So I know these are all good signs but other than the VERY basic stuff he hasn't really changed much. I am TRYING to reach the level of him being COMFORTABLE with me and trusting me to where he DOES NOT FLY AWAY as soon as he finishes HIS TREAT. Honestly i feel used :( lol He is NOT in his cage pretty much 24/7, he wont even go in to sleep anymore. I have to cover the gym he loves the most (with all his toys) with the blanket at night..its been fine so far. He has 3 gyms a foot from each other that he flies between. One of which is in front of a SAFE window. I used to do the whole hand in cage thing and he was doing well and i was able to get him to COME TO ME when he saw the treat in my hand. I took him out of cage on my finger but not far and he would FLY RIGHT BACK IN when he was done! So i thought to help him out to put him gyms and play areas OUTSIDE of cage. Now he doesn't want cage at all lol. But as for hand training he just doesn't stay long enough on my hand/finger TO LEARN how free he is and that he can play and chill with me. should I put him BACK in his cage to do more hand in cage training? Or just let him be and he will eventually just explore more at his own pace? He been wtih me for 3+ months since i brought him from pet store.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Training parrots is a long steady process. Their rate of acceptance of new things (like your hand) is GLACIAL, unlike our quick monkey brains. And 3 months is not outside the normal time to really settle in and be comfortable - each parrot is different, it's own bird so to speak. Just be patient and try to follow what I said previously.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My budgie will eat seeds from my palm and will hop on my finger to eat spray millet; He even COMES to me when he sees i have seeds or especially spray millet, which is so cute and i enjoy very much.

BUT!!!!

After he eats the seeds from my palm or the spray millet he FLIES right BACK to his perches/play gyms i have set up for him (could it be i made the GYMS TOO FUN he doesn't want to do anything else?) . He doesn't STAY WITH ME to bond or chill. He just eats the food or treat and then dips. I know this is great progress and shows potential but this has been going on for a while now and nothing much has changed necessarily. Only that he is now very good at eating seeds and treats from my hand lol.

So!! what is my next step? What should I do to further the trust and taming process along?
I one time moved his gym further away from the others and placed him there closer to me to chill and bond...but he just flew right back to his home corner. :(
Is it me? Am I doing something wrong? or He just needs more time to settle in completely. I will gladly give him that time, i don't have any issue..but i just want to know if i'm doing this right and just allow HIM to decide when he wants to chill on me or around OR should i be doing something new or different to further us along?

I just want to know i'm doing it right and properly. I don't only want this for myself, but also for him so he can start to enjoy and play and not be scared or timid. So he can truly feel free in his home and space.

ANY insight or advice will be helpful.
THANK YOU :)
I would take him out of his cage in a different room where there isn't a playstand for him to fly to after he finishes the treat.

OP
F

Fatima I

Feb 23, 2023
Parrots
Budgie
I would take him out of his cage in a different room where there isn't a playstand for him to fly to after he finishes the treat.
I tried that, but he senses or sees me walking away so he stops eating millet and just flies back. Even if i block his view or flying path from gym/cage.

Most Reactions