What to do when there is blood?

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I think so too. I think the plan of trying to get his immune system up and stress level down to fight Chlamydiosis was a good one until he started popping all new feathers. That changes a lot of things. Especially in this time period where there is still a chance he could fly. I can't take that chance away from him even if it means more distress in the short term.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I use cornstarch on some wounds. I don’t know if you could puff some on him without touching him?

A blood feather that’s intact and bleeding needs to be pulled.

I’ve also made pipe insulation collars to replace the cone collar given by the vet. ( I cut about 1 1/2” off of a long length of 0.5” inner diameter x 1.5” outer diameter pipe insulation from ace hardware, and rounded .). With her various issues, Lucy was too off-balance to wear a cone collar. The good thing with a pipe insulation collar is that you can cut it down with scissors to customize it, or make a new one. I rounded the edges off with a scissors and fastened it with duct tape. I think I’d attach chewy felt pieces to a pipe insulation collar if I had to do it over.
B96E15D5-838F-4589-BBF3-0EC6057782AF.jpeg

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I use cornstarch on some wounds. I don’t know if you could puff some on him without touching him?

A blood feather that’s intact and bleeding needs to be pulled.

I’ve also made pipe insulation collars to replace the cone collar given by the vet. ( I cut about 1 1/2” off of a long length of 0.5” inner diameter x 1.5” outer diameter pipe insulation from ace hardware, and rounded .). With her various issues, Lucy was too off-balance to wear a cone collar. She needed to be collared when she broke her leg and was in a cast, then healing her leg, for a long time.

The good thing with a pipe insulation collar is that you can cut it down with scissors to customize it, or make a new one. I rounded the edges off with a scissors and fastened it with duct tape. I think I’d attach chewy felt pieces to a pipe insulation collar if I had to do it over.View attachment 40947
161E7DBA-4BC7-4030-A58E-1BA85724CA5E.jpeg

Last edited:

Most Reactions