What to do with parrot if I go to university?

Abicadabra

Sep 2, 2021
Parrots
A male sun conure
Hi (new member here) I am a f16 who has owned a sun conure for the last 3 (almost) years. He is almost only bonded to me. And he doesnā€™t really like my dad or my sister as they donā€™t pay him any attention. I live in the uk and have been researching if animals, specifically birds, can be brought to university with students but almost everything I read is vague and doesnā€™t make sense. My problem is that I donā€™t want to leave him behind, he will be miserable as he is overly attached to me as it is, and leaving him behind with my family doesnā€™t really seem like an option. But at the same time I donā€™t want to miss out on something that may potentially improve the rest of my life. What do I do? I would be heartbroken if I had to let him go to a new home, he is my companion and best friend. Please help me

Attachments

• F63A151B-D2FA-4991-921E-1DF0ACA29038.jpeg
    F63A151B-D2FA-4991-921E-1DF0ACA29038.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 94

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I don't know how it is in the UK, but research the university you SPECIFICALLY want to go to. As in the US it varies from college to college on if the dorms allow pets.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllll... I'll happily offer you some crazy advice!
I bought the Rickeybird when I was already in college. He was 3 months old. He's now 37. YEARS!
I had a lot of ridiculous and ill-advised and heart-stopping experiences along the way. College. Grad school. Jobs. Marriages. Somehow the one constant was... the Rickeybird. I just... found a way. We're now "retired" together.
If you find a more sensible route, I commend you. If you follow my nutty path, well... I commend you.

Thank you for sharing. And please stick with us.

And...
Good luck!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This why we all strongly try to get people to wait till they are out of college and with a job and their own place to get a parrot.

Its not only a question of having one in a dorm. You will have school, a room mate, dating, after school activities...possibly part time job or internship.

I took in a wonderful and much loved quaker from a college student, who had to make the sad choice . For his parrots safety , because school, a girlfriend, working, and questionable room mates...... we kept in touch for a year or so but it just broke his heart..though he was so thankful that I care deeply and provide a good home..if he still lurks I hope he knows Pikachu is deeply loved and happy.

Sometimes room mates resent the noise, the safety steps you have to consider with delicate parrots. Its unthinkable, but roommates have harmed parrots, we have had several posts of that happening.

Can you make it work, sure, people have. Maybe if you have your own place off campus. And dedicated time for the parrot. You guys will be together fir many years after school, if you can make it work. Its a hard place to be. My heart does go out to you.

I'm in no way telling you that you have to re home. But if you do, and you find a great person, your bird can learn to love someone new. I hope you can make it work, I know just how much a parrots love means

Most Reactions

Latest posts