Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Hey all.

I have a senior cockatiel who has always hated hands. He's almost 28 years old according to his hatch records.

Right now, he's showing signs of a potential URI, or something else going on. Definitely something weird with his lungs. And I can't decide what to do. It could be that if we treated this he'd live another year, but it could also be that his immune system has crashed from something else entirely and the only thing I would achieve by seeking treatment would be terrorizing him with syringe medication.

I guess I struggle with what to do when pets reach that extreme senior stage. With other pets, I've been told by family that I continue to cling to them long past a point that they would have humanely euthanized. I've always hoped that he would pass quietly and painlessly but he does seem to be struggling to breathe and that's a terrible way to go. Idk, I'm just really torn about this whole situation and would appreciate some input.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It is such a hard decision to make. My cockatiel lived to be 32, and he had a happy life.
He had a large tumour on his chest but removing it would have killed him, and it didn't seem to bother him too much.
If your bird is having trouble breathing, please take him to the vet because they are the only ones who can tell you what is happening with him, and if any meds can fix it.
I believe they will be able to help with your decision, I know what a terrible decision that is.
Sending prayers to you both.

OP
hiriki

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
Thank you. I really appreciate the advice, I just got back from the vet with a week's worth of antibiotics and a very grumpy cockatiel. I think he's going to pass soon if I'm completely honest but if I have anything to do with it, he won't be passing of a URI. I don't want to hear him laboring to breathe anymore.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, MANNNNNNNNNNNNNN, I feel for you.
I have a 38 year old conure here who has been with me since he was a chick. I am BLESSED with a great vet and staff... and of course, THIS PLACE.
Please message me if I can be of any comfort.
I'm glad you're here!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I completely understand where you are coming from.
Lucky my rescue Tiel (over 20 but exact age unknown) died in my hands while trying to force feed him medicine I did not except to help.

I feel bad about that but I know I did everything I could to help and followed the Dr advice.
In the end what choice.
1 Do nothing and hope for the best.
2 put the bird to sleep.

I had1 bird I put to sleep.
She had a neurological condition that she would not recover from and was suffering.

OP
hiriki

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
@GaleriaGila WOW--that's a lot of years you've shared! I'm touched just hearing about it.

The veteran of my flock is my dove Gorou, the first bird I ever adopted, and I've only had him for nine-ish years. He's an old boy, too... I don't know exactly how old but he was an adult when I got him and 10-15 years is the average lifespan for his species. He hasn't been showing any signs of slowing down but I'll be devastated to lose him, even though he usually doesn't even care to give me the time of day (lol). I've been through so much with him in just nine years... 38 sounds like such an adventure. It's amazing you were able to share that much time with your baby 🥰

@texsize I'm so sorry for your loss, of both the tiel and the bird with the neurological condition. It's especially hard to have a pet die in your hands, I think. I also had a tiel pass in my hands. Every pet I've lost has been incredibly difficult in different ways and it never gets any easier.

Most Reactions