What to do?

Chef Dean

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
5.5 mo. old Eclectus Hen
I have a hand raised (not by me) 5.5 month old Eclectus Hen and she ignors me and has started biting! I have had a Cock before and he never acted that way. I have read everything and every book and she has a perfect (fresh) diet and I am very gentle and loving with her.
What to do???

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed! I;ve read hens can certainly be bitey and more "prima donna' then males.

OP
C

Chef Dean

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
5.5 mo. old Eclectus Hen
Thank you for taking an interest in my little bird drama. I am thinking about finding a bird trainer here in South Florida.
Dean

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yeah, the girls are, ummmm, different. Not worse or better, just have a whole different way of doing things. Ekkies in general aren't noted for being cuddly, and most prefer not to be handled. Those that like it, are uniformly particular about it. Front to back only. Messing up "the do" is a hard NO.

How long have you had your girl? Aside from her general preferences, it's possible you're just moving too fast. Trust takes time. Some are okay pretty quickly, while others can take a looooonnnggg time. Just start slow, and don't force her to conform to your expectations.

You mention hand raised. Was she completely weaned before you got her, and by HER choice? Abundance weaning is different than being force weaned. Sadly, it's not uncommon for breeders to get them on solid food and sold before they're ready, causing physical and psychological/behavioral issues. Not saying this is definitely the case for you, but something to explore. Take a read through this for some thoughts on that: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/so-you-bought-an-unweaned-baby.74363/

Please keep us posted, and if you'd like to share, we love pictures! :)

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
See if she will readily take baby bird formula still. Follow the directions and spoon feed some ( an old teaspoon with bent up sides is excellent for this). NOT too hot and not too thick a mixture. 5-1/2 months sounds early for a ekkie. If she takes it, keep offering it until she refuses it regularly. She will know when she is ready.

Most Reactions