What To Do?

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
So i have a male budgie named Julius and he lost his best friend about 1 month ago and in the mornings he's Oki because i spend time with him before school but about 1:00 p.m he gets sad because thats about the time him and his bud would snuggle up together and take a nap and I don't really know exactly what to do to make him happy. He is no longer super keen on flying its hard to get him to and no matter what I do he doesn't want to leave his cage anymore really and he just goes around sniffing his toys that his friend played with. I'm getting him a buddy on wendsday but I still have to quarantine the new bird ect so It will probably still but a month+ until i actually introduce them so does anybody have any suggestions on what to do for him?

EDIT: he seems to like classical music? oh and also HE dosen't like to step up anymore the day after Petals died he just stopped doing it.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I'm very sorry about Petals, Birdgirl. Give him time. Try foraging toys or trick training, anything to keep his mind off his best friend. Maybe try playing videos of Petals for him, so he can hear her voice again. This might lift his spirits and might lower them, but you can see.

OP
Birdgirl24

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
I did go on youtube awhile back and play budgies talking but when i tried to replay them he got mad because he'd already heard it.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I did go on youtube awhile back and play budgies talking but when i tried to replay them he got mad because he'd already heard it.
Yeah. Birds are smart. He'll know it's not real budgies.

OP
Birdgirl24

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
but him not stepping up any longer is tricky.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
But you can do spin, target, go through hoop, station and many more. Have you tried stepping him up to a branch? Another thing I do is put my finger on the end of the perch and then lure my burd onto it. Some burds also won't step up and would rather do a short recall, like Pepper.

OP
Birdgirl24

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
oki let me rephrase that he'll step up but only because he wants to go places without flying but if i generally just want to hang out like we used to its out of the question.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
oki let me rephrase that he'll step up but only because he wants to go places without flying but if i generally just want to hang out like we used to its out of the question.
And that's ok! You can hang out with him in other ways. For example, I don't hang out with my burds on my hand unless they fly there on their own (they prefer my head and shoulder).

OP
Birdgirl24

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
that would work in therie butttttt Julius is scared on both of those places any pretty much everything else. However he likes to sit on my bed frame and stare at me blankly.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
that would work in therie butttttt Julius is scared on both of those places any pretty much everything else. However he likes to sit on my bed frame and stare at me blankly.
Then work with that, my point is just work with what youve got

OP
Birdgirl24

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
andddd he also likes to lay on my floofly rug but that i don't like so those are the only 2 places other than his cage that he is oki with rn he is still currently scared of his play stand.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
andddd he also likes to lay on my floofly rug but that i don't like so those are the only 2 places other than his cage that he is oki with rn he is still currently scared of his play stand.
Think, birdgirl, of how to work with that!

Most Reactions

Latest posts