What to feed our birds while we are on holidays?

mango_&_sunny

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Fischer's Lovebirds
Unfortunately, it is proving rather difficult for us to take our lovebirds on a 5-7 day trip.

So we are thinking to have our neighbour come and feed/change water and check on our lovebirds (we have 2 now) while we are gone. Their normal diet consists of fresh veggie chop in the mornings and pellets (Tops) at night.

My concern is that my neighbour will not be available to remove the veggie chop after an hour or so and it may spoil and be harmful to my birds if left there until dinner time. So, I was wondering, if it is ok for just the week to have them on pellets morning and night? Does anyone have any experience doing this, or any reasons why this would be bad?

Any suggestions? I was looking at freeze dried stuff but that still needs to be prepped and rehydrated so it would still spoil if left unattended for too long, right?!

Holiday dilemmas!! :(

Lisa

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'd suggest keeping it simple and offer pellets only during your absence. Benefits of veggie chop negated if inadvertently permitted to spoil, risking illness. Short term dietary disruptions just a blip in their long and happy lives!! Enjoy your holiday!! :)

Most Reactions