What type of pellet should I feed my conure?

Jul 20, 2022
Hi guys :)

I'm going to get a bird soon and was wondering what type of pellet is the most healthiest for a green cheek conure. The pet store where I will get my green cheek is feeding them an all-seed diet and I want to convert my bird to a pelleted-diet. Does anybody have any good pellet brands that they have successfully converted their parrot onto? I did some research and some people were recommending brands such as ZuPreem and Vetafarm. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mango

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I would look for one that is 100% free from artificial flavors, colors and sugar. I would also probably stay away from ones made with corn, soy, and peanuts. Tops would be my preference, and then Harrisons. Please keep in mind that no bird should live exclusively off of pellets or seeds. They need a balanced diet with vegetables, fruits, pellets, seeds, and nuts.

Also, if you haven't already, I want to strongly advise you to research how to convert your bird from seeds to pellets as some birds would rather starve themselves to death than make the change. There are several different ways to go about it, but my bird came home on pellets. So, I really have no experience with that, but I'm sure someone on here probably has some good advice in regard to that.

Rowlet

Jul 18, 2022
Parrots
Pico - Green Cheek Conure
My conure's favorite is Harrisons. I'm feeding him the high potency fine (cause they recommend 6 months of that before converting to lifetime I think) but the breeder I got him from was already feeding him Roudybush so it was simply the matter of mixing the pellets for me and surprisingly he appreciated the Harrisons more (maybe he just wanted a change of flavor).

If I were to convert a bird to pellets myself though I would probably try using the Lafeber pellet-berries because there's some seed and dried fruit which I think makes it more appealing. They are quite big so I like to break it into chunks for my bird (I serve it as a treat)

There is a saying I've heard that the best pellet is the one your bird will eat though!

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Hi guys :)

I'm going to get a bird soon and was wondering what type of pellet is the most healthiest for a green cheek conure. The pet store where I will get my green cheek is feeding them an all-seed diet and I want to convert my bird to a pelleted-diet. Does anybody have any good pellet brands that they have successfully converted their parrot onto? I did some research and some people were recommending brands such as ZuPreem and Vetafarm. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mango
Personally i would try to steer clear of ZuPreem they have alot of artifical dye's and TONS of unneccicary unwarnted and UNneeded sugar. Personally i Would say either TOPS or Harrison's are your best 2 options for pellet brands- but i certainly would do a diet with more veggies then pellets yeah the good brands of pellets are 10x better then seeds HOWEVER, veggies top pellets 1000 precent of the time might take awhile to get your bird to eat veggies but it pays off when your birds are super healthy and active. Good luck to you and send us lots of pictures of ur little gcc floofster ☺️

OP
dancing_conure
Jul 20, 2022
Thank you so much guys! I have done lots of research so far on parrot nutrition and am planning to feed a variety of healthy vegetables to my bird as well as a good pellet brand. I have watched some videos of people converting their parrots to eat pellets by turning it into this kind of paste-like substance and mixing it in with the seeds? I'm not sure if it would work but I'll give it a shot.

Since lots of you guys suggest Harrisons, I'll probably buy a small bag of high potency fine and try it out on my bird. I'll make sure to weigh my bird every day just in case they are losing weight throughout the transition process.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I kept feeding the same amount of seed but added pellets - I did dry pellets in the morning, and then made a mash with ground up pellets and water mixed with dry seeds in the evening when I had more time. That way I knew my bird was getting at least enough seed to fill up, and eventually he started eating the pellets too.

OP
dancing_conure
Jul 20, 2022
I kept feeding the same amount of seed but added pellets - I did dry pellets in the morning, and then made a mash with ground up pellets and water mixed with dry seeds in the evening when I had more time. That way I knew my bird was getting at least enough seed to fill up, and eventually he started eating the pellets too.
Thank you that sounds like a good idea :)

MoreForLifeNow

May 22, 2010
Parrots
Researching the right one for my family.
My Blue Crown Conure came from the breeder eating RoudyBush and has been thriving for 12 years. I add a very small amount of Natural ZuPreem which has a very small amount of sugar which is offset with celery, carrots, parsley, beets, flaxseeds and more nutritious ingredients. My Boo LOVES the stems of spinach and kale and while he'll eat the leaf he much prefers the stems. Given the choice - he'd eat human food. I can't have him out of his cage during dinner because he has literally taken food off my fork as it was approaching my mouth....and he isn't picky-he has stolen chicken, shrimp, pizza, broccoli, watermelon and I have to steal it back. Funny...I told the breeder I wanted a 'dog with wings' and I got one! My poodle has no interest in human food...go figure! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts