What type of water holder should I use for Parakeets

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Budgies like to bathe, so whatever arrangements you make for their drinking water, it's a kindness to allow them a bath deep and wide enough to sit in and splash about.

For drinking, I suppose it's personal preference. For myself, I think those bottle-things are unnatural. If you look at flocks of wild budgies drinking, they will descend on a waterhole as one and drink side-by-side, making a social occasion of it all. A water bottle doesn't allow that, so I would use a long shallow container that permits my budgies to drink together.

You might have a different agenda and that's fine. So long as your bird(s) have fresh water at all times, it's pretty much up to you. :)

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I think stainless steel bowls are the safest, although you do have to wash and clean them often-- AT LEAST daily with a bird safe soap, like Dawn (rinsed well). If the water gets poop in it, or is cloudy, you will have to do it more. Those closed bottle things can be bacterial harbingers because they are harder to clean- they can also get clogged so you cannot tell if your bird is actually drinking because they don't drink enough to drop the water level.

I would also avoid those hooded dishes that have the head hole in the front-- I've heard at least 2 horror stories about birds getting stuck in them.

CharlieChick

Dec 7, 2020
The second option is NO. Those type of water bottles are used for hamsters NOT BIRDS.
Go for the bowl, preferably stainless steel as it is considered the most sanitary option.
I would avoid using the water bottle (aka the third option) because it grows bacteria very fast and birds can't bathe in it/using it.
Thanks
:rainbow1:
:rainbow1:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
It is useful to check that any of your water/food dishes are a safe metal ie stainless by using a magnet. Stainless steel isnt magnetic and does not cling!

Most Reactions

Latest posts