What’s everyones thoughts on Lafeber Nutri-Berries?

evanschlenker

Jun 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck, Cockatiel.
I haven’t used them, but have been told to avoid seed based pellets or complete foods.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I like them, and they are in my food rotation.

Most processed parrots pellets contains seeds just more processed and then added vitamins and other ingredients to make a complete as possible food.

We talk diet here all the time, with different experts putting forth different ideas, and we wade through and try to do our best.

Even with a pellet based diet nearly all recommendations are still 10% seeds , 10% fruits , and lost of veggies and leafy greens. Some pellets are higher quality than others.

My first parrot was very picky and would only eat one brand of pellets. I didn't like that after there was a shortage or recall ( many many years ago) so personally (not anything you have to do) I feed several brands and my current batch of feather kids eat them all. Plus I feed seed mix, veggies, occasionally boiled egg, boiled chicken ( tiny amounts tiny) soaked cooked legume or I buy soak and simmer parrot mix, lettuces, occasionally nuts and fruits. I really try and go through parrot sage food list and offer as much variety as I can. I personally feel variety is good for mind and body. Because their feathers are lush and vibrant and they molt regularly ( without looking ratty ever) I feel I'm doing a decent job with diet.

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Nothing wrong with them in my experience. They’re great to use for foraging. You can stick them in foraging cups, puzzle blocks, wrap them in paper, etc. They definitely work better for foraging purposes than most fruits, and they’re less fattening than nuts, both of which (fruits and nuts) should be used more as training treats than for foraging.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I agree with the others - Nutri-berries aren't bad :) . I use them as an occasional treat for my guys, and for foraging. The conures, especially, loved holding them in a claw. Very **cough** handy of them!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We use them. Salty gets 1 as a part of his breakfast, and usually 2 at nite, broken up into small pieces and mixed with his chop ( to absorb some of the moisture of thawed chop).

fjordandforest

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek named Scrimp
I am thinking about using these too as treats, although I am reading that they are supposed to be considered complete nutrition (seems weird IDK) has anyone had experience using them as the pellet portion of a food source?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am thinking about using these too as treats, although I am reading that they are supposed to be considered complete nutrition (seems weird IDK) has anyone had experience using them as the pellet portion of a food source?
They shouldn't be the main diet. Best to use them for foraging and treats. The healthiest choice for most birds would be fresh foods as the base :) As long as you use a large variety, it's ok. I make "chop" and freeze them in silicone ice cube trays.

Pellets aren't necessary, you can make dry mixes for them but if you don't know how to balance the nutrients then I reccomend TOP'S or Harrisons. Keep in mind eclectuses shouldn't have enriched pellets(Pellets with artificial ingredients).

Most Reactions

Latest posts