What's going on with these feathers?

Jswan

Feb 13, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Hi there, I got my my conure about 7 months ago and she will turn one at the end of March. About two weeks ago I noticed some of her feathers starting to look a bit weird/messy on one side. The other side looks normal as you'll see in the photos. What could be causing this?

Attachments

• 20220213_102344.jpg
    20220213_102344.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220213_102436.jpg
    20220213_102436.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 67

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
It could be a number of problems. Best thing to do is find the cause and see an avian vet.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Looks like he just needs to groom and zip them up.
A very fine mist of water sprayed up and let fall down on him. Do not have to make him wet. Should be enough to encourage a preening.

But burd that stop taking care of themselves can indicate a health issue.

OP
J

Jswan

Feb 13, 2022
Parrots
Looks like he just needs to groom and zip them up.
A very fine mist of water sprayed up and let fall down on him. Do not have to make him wet. Should be enough to encourage a preening.

But burd that stop taking care of themselves can indicate a health issue.
She just took a bath but these two feathers still look off. Here's a picture
20220213_124212.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It could be those hot bumped and she will molt them out and replace them.

For myself I'm not seeing anything concerning.

It is good to pay attention, and welcome to the worries about our babies club, I'm a longtime member of said club myself.

Some things that are good practices, getting a digital kitchen scale and weight check in grams weekly. As most birds with health issues start to loose weight before other symptoms. And when caught early by weight loss and taken to the vet are easily cured for the most part. You look for downward trends. A 4% body mass loss get to the vet for a check up.
To calculate take # of grams lost ÷ normal weight in grams × 100 = % lost.

Example your birds wreight is normally 72 grams it looses 5 grams
5÷72= 0.69 × 100 = 6.9%
6.9% definitely sick/health issue get burds to avian veterinarian.

Diet is important to health. Feeding a variety of veggies provides needed vitamins and nutrients, with fruits being only 10% of diet. And fruits and berries of deep colors are better, pomegranate, black berries, cherry ( fresh only)
Occasionally offer boiled egg with a but of the boiled shell.

OP
J

Jswan

Feb 13, 2022
Parrots
It could be those hot bumped and she will molt them out and replace them.

For myself I'm not seeing anything concerning.

It is good to pay attention, and welcome to the worries about our babies club, I'm a longtime member of said club myself.

Some things that are good practices, getting a digital kitchen scale and weight check in grams weekly. As most birds with health issues start to loose weight before other symptoms. And when caught early by weight loss and taken to the vet are easily cured for the most part. You look for downward trends. A 4% body mass loss get to the vet for a check up.
To calculate take # of grams lost ÷ normal weight in grams × 100 = % lost.

Example your birds wreight is normally 72 grams it looses 5 grams
5÷72= 0.69 × 100 = 6.9%
6.9% definitely sick/health issue get burds to avian veterinarian.

Diet is important to health. Feeding a variety of veggies provides needed vitamins and nutrients, with fruits being only 10% of diet. And fruits and berries of deep colors are better, pomegranate, black berries, cherry ( fresh only)
Occasionally offer boiled egg with a but of the boiled shell.
Thanks!🙂 I was thinking maybe she bumped it during the night or something. I'm with her all day and never noticed her having any sort of accident. And she does get a fresh chop twice a day and I do keep track of her weight. I'm just a bit of a worrier I guess😋

Most Reactions