Not open for further replies.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hi all I have an umbrella cockatoo who is 3 years old and I?ve had him for 4 months now. I just have two questions. What does it mean when my bird is regurgitating and is it always voluntary orrr? And I never see him regurgitate on his own so I?m just wondering what it actually means. It?s always when he?s in bed with me. Cuddle time and all. Also, are cockatoos one person birds? I?m trying to socialize him as much as I can. Thanks u guys.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Regurgitating for one person is usually mating behavior, and not a desired behavior.. you want to either ignore it or gently put him back on his cage or play stand. You don't want to punish this, because its natural behavior in nature, regurgitation for its mate. It means he is closely bonded to you. Most cockatoos will accept scratches from multiple people, like in a public setting, but make sure it's in appropriate places; head and neck only , other places are sexual trigger spots and will only make your problem worse. Be sure before letting strangers scratch him, overly bonded parrots can be aggressive to them or even you (trying to shoo you away from potential danger).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Also, as a PS, sleeping with your parrot is not a good idea. We have seen over the years, several tragic results when the human shifts weight in their sleep, injuring or even killing their feathered babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts